Comparison of Cerwin-Vega 311P and Fisher ST-760 spkrs. CV has a 12" woofer; Fisher has 15" woofer

T

Tom McAlvany

Audiophyte
I have a choice to keep one set or the other. Both systems are about 25 to 30 years old. Although Fisher has 15" versus 12", who has/had the better quality?
Thanks

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I have a choice to keep one set or the other. Both systems are about 25 to 30 years old. Although Fisher has 15" versus 12", who has/had the better quality?
Thanks
Just keep whatever you like best.

I really doubt anyone remembers, or heard these speakers.

As a general comment, both are in the awful category. They are from a time when most US and Far Eastern speaker designs were far behind the curve.

They have the familiar plan of large woofer, cheap squawker midrange and tweeter, all with a poor driver layout. The crossovers were in general very crude.

So make your choice.

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
I dunno. I rather enjoyed the chest thumping of those Cerwin Vegas as a teenager. I never had a chance to listen to them critically with quality source material, but rattling the windows was fun.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I dunno. I rather enjoyed the chest thumping of those Cerwin Vegas as a teenager. I never had a chance to listen to them critically with quality source material, but rattling the windows was fun.
Well you are one up on me if you remember hearing the CVs. All I remember is that many houses had speakers of that ilk, and I don't recall liking any of them.

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
Speakers like that were never about accurate imaging or wide sound stage. They were about pissing off the neighbors, giving yourself a coronary, and losing hearing. This was back in the era of cassette tapes, so they've got a frequency response closer to pro audio speakers than the more refined home audio gear of today.

They're horrible, but they're fun -- not unlike an MG roadster or a Totino's Party Pizza. If you want to listen to the Boston Pops, these are not the speakers you're looking for. But they'll play Def Leppard or Rob Base & DJ EZ Rock just fine. Those Cerwin Vegas are a fond part of the soundtrack of my life.

But no, I'm not interested in buying them. :)

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Speakers like that were never about accurate imaging or wide sound stage. They were about pissing off the neighbors, giving yourself a coronary, and losing hearing. This was back in the era of cassette tapes, so they've got a frequency response closer to pro audio speakers than the more refined home audio gear of today.

They're horrible, but they're fun -- not unlike an MG roadster or a Totino's Party Pizza. If you want to listen to the Boston Pops, these are not the speakers you're looking for. But they'll play Def Leppard or Rob Base & DJ EZ Rock just fine. Those Cerwin Vegas are a fond part of the soundtrack of my life.

But no, I'm not interested in buying them. :)
That probably explains our same opinion of them but different perspective.

I think the US audio industry has been much more pop geared than the UK.

Back in the "Golden Age" of British Audio, which were my formative years, the audio industry was almost entirely influenced by, and catered to, the classical repertoir. To a significant extent it still is, especially the smaller audio companies.

May be my memory is bad, but I don't think I ever encountered speakers like those under discussion until I came to North America. I was not impressed.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
Just keep whatever you like best.

I really doubt anyone remembers, or heard these speakers.

As a general comment, both are in the awful category. They are from a time when most US and Far Eastern speaker designs were far behind the curve.

They have the familiar plan of large woofer, cheap squawker midrange and tweeter, all with a poor driver layout. The crossovers were in general very crude.

So make your choice.
Wow, that brings back memories, my brother had the top ones when I was a kid lol

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis