Banning the term climate change won’t stop the reality

C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
I've skimmed through the videos, Haraldo, and will look to watch them in their entirety over the next couple of days. The premise in the second video, that governments are not the mechanism by which effective approaches/solutions should be looked towards first but rather entrepreneurship, seems sensible. No doubt there are consequences, intended or otherwise, that then need to be addressed, but on the whole a lot of good can result.

On other notes, I hear that Costco, a warehouse type store chain here, will now be upping their purchase of Norwegian farm raised, antibiotic free salmon from 10% to 60% of their needs. Given that Russia I believe has sanctioned imports of salmon from your country, do you know if that will be sufficient to offset the economic impact on the salmon industry there?

Also, what's the current thought there on Russia?

Again, thanks for the videos.

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
The Earth is 4.54 billion years old. http://www.space.com/24854-how-old-is-earth.html
That length of time is beyond comprehension.:eek:
All along the Earth was going through its own heating and cooling cycles, at a rate of change we can only guess at.
It seems inaccurate to use a temp graph of a thousand or two years to show a "Rapid Rate" of change now.
When we really don't know what is a "Normal" or "Rapid" change for this 4.5 Billion Year Old Planet, when using a 1,000 year, (blink of an eye, relatively speaking) snap shot.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Vivek Wadhva claims that the largest source of CO2 into the atmosphere is animals, which probably include human beings too .... Not cars, Not Power plants, Not Ships ....
Interestingly enough if you look at the temps in the medieval time periods, there were brief "mini-ice" ages or cooling events that tracked with human plagues that wiped out 1/3rd of the world population. This was before the industrial revolution. We are talking about 1/3rd of world population gone and not burning fires to keep warm or for light or cultivating crops, etc. That impact was measurable.

In medieval time there was roughly 100 million people in the world, compare that to today's population of 7 billion and most of the modernized world burning fossil fuels.

It's really quite extraordinary how we can affect our own environment.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
How should I know?
I have no idea... maybe he's wrong...

maybe we can 3d print meat, less need for animsls
we are heading into an era of genetically grown meats. Kinda of scary thinking about that scientists will one day grow animal limbs to harvest for proteins rather than birthing an entire animal. It's gross, but it would save hugely on reducing CO2 and Methane footprint.

C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
we are heading into an era of genetically grown meats. Kinda of scary thinking about that scientists will one day grow animal limbs to harvest for proteins rather than birthing an entire animal. It's gross, but it would save hugely on reducing CO2 and Methane footprint.
Earth's population expected to reach about 10 billion from a little over 7 billion today. Watch for the rogue scientific group that's going to take matters into their own hands.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
That could come in handy...

A man was driving along a rural road one day when he saw a three legged chicken running down the road. He was amused enough to drive along side it for a while, as he was driving he noticed the chicken was running 30 mph.

Pretty fast chicken, he thought, I wonder just how fast it can run. So he sped up and the chicken did too! They were now moving along the road at 45 mph!

The man in the car sped up again, to his surprise the chicken was still running ahead of him at 60 mph!!!

Suddenly the chicken turned off the road and ran down a long driveway leading to a farmhouse. The man followed the chicken to the house and saw a man in the yard with dozens of three legged chickens. The man in the car called out to the farmer "How did you get all these three legged chickens?"

The farmer replied, "I breed 'em. Ya see it's me, my wife and my son living here and we all like to eat the chicken leg. Since a chicken only has two legs, I started breeding this three legged variety so we could all eat our favorite piece."

"That's amazing!" said the driver "How do they taste?"

"Don't rightly know, I ain't caught one yet!"

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
The Earth is 4.54 billion years old. http://www.space.com/24854-how-old-is-earth.html
That length of time is beyond comprehension.:eek:
All along the Earth was going through its own heating and cooling cycles, at a rate of change we can only guess at.
It seems inaccurate to use a temp graph of a thousand or two years to show a "Rapid Rate" of change now.
When we really don't know what is a "Normal" or "Rapid" change for this 4.5 Billion Year Old Planet, when using a 1,000 year, (blink of an eye, relatively speaking) snap shot.
WE have temperate data for for 100's of thousands of years. Honestly did you research any of this before making statements like that? The Earth will survive regardless. The only thing we can do is hurt ourselves by not having the foresight to change and/or adapt.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
And totally f?ck up the human digestive tract with one foul swoop. The rising tide of Gluten Intolerance stems from GMO wheat and other cereal grains. Now we have GMO apples that will not brown if exposed to air. GMO food is NOT the answer to reduce the carbon foot print. Far from it. Before GMO wheat, there was none of this gluten problem. We are killing ourselves off slowly but surely.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
To get some more backgrounder, please watch these
Maybe you find it boring, but it's important

The facts are: According to Jeffrey D. Sachs, director of The Earth Institute, Columbia University,
  • 2014 is the hottest year in "instrument history", it could be the hottest year in 10.000 years
  • The business as usual path will lead to a 4 to 6 degree global temperature increase
  • We have reached 400 ppm of CO2 in atmosphere in 2014,which is the highest level of CO2 for the last 3 million years

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

There are great possibilities for the future:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Watched the first video. What an amazing speech. It boggles my mind that some people can't comprehend or accept this information while others add to the circle of confusion for political or economic gain.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
And totally f?ck up the human digestive tract with one foul swoop. The rising tide of Gluten Intolerance stems from GMO wheat and other cereal grains. Now we have GMO apples that will not brown if exposed to air. GMO food is NOT the answer to reduce the carbon foot print. Far from it. Before GMO wheat, there was none of this gluten problem. We are killing ourselves off slowly but surely.
Agreed 100%

If you notice there is a pattern of too much consumption of food and energy without enough replenishment of resources. The Earth can only produce so much.

C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
That could come in handy...

A man was driving along a rural road one day when he saw a three legged chicken running down the road. He was amused enough to drive along side it for a while, as he was driving he noticed the chicken was running 30 mph.

Pretty fast chicken, he thought, I wonder just how fast it can run. So he sped up and the chicken did too! They were now moving along the road at 45 mph!

The man in the car sped up again, to his surprise the chicken was still running ahead of him at 60 mph!!!

Suddenly the chicken turned off the road and ran down a long driveway leading to a farmhouse. The man followed the chicken to the house and saw a man in the yard with dozens of three legged chickens. The man in the car called out to the farmer "How did you get all these three legged chickens?"

The farmer replied, "I breed 'em. Ya see it's me, my wife and my son living here and we all like to eat the chicken leg. Since a chicken only has two legs, I started breeding this three legged variety so we could all eat our favorite piece."

"That's amazing!" said the driver "How do they taste?"

"Don't rightly know, I ain't caught one yet!"
Must've been in Florida. Gene?

C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
Supporting studies?

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Agreed 100%

If you notice there is a pattern of too much consumption of food and energy without enough replenishment of resources. The Earth can only produce so much.
That pattern of over consumption lies squarely on the shoulders of the first world countries. We have become decadent in our wealth relative to the 2nd and 3rd world countries. I also maintain that we should look at the past to help with our food production. I saw an interesting story on Nova about the Inca and how they used to grow food on those steep hills. A few poor villages in Peru who were very poor off adopted the Inca way of growing crops through terraces. These villages now produce more than enough food for their villages nad began selling their good in the market.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Supporting studies?

Have you read the book Wheat Belly? Read it. Its an eye opener. I live with the affects first hand. I'm just grateful that it doesn't bother me. My wife and my elder daughter can no longer eat wheat as it really messes with her digestive tract. They are in pain for days afterwards.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
That pattern of over consumption lies squarely on the shoulders of the first world countries. We have become decadent in our wealth relative to the 2nd and 3rd world countries. I also maintain that we should look at the past to help with our food production. I saw an interesting story on Nova about the Inca and how they used to grow food on those steep hills. A few poor villages in Peru who were very poor off adopted the Inca way of growing crops through terraces. These villages now produce more than enough food for their villages nad began selling their good in the market.
Again agreed. China, India, USA are largely responsible for the current state of crisis. WE should be the majority contributors to solving it and helping 3rd world countries adapt. Ironically ALL of the 3rd world countries I've visited over the last decade are far more in tune with climate change and trying to do their share at reducing their carbon foot print. It is always amazing for me to see people of meager economic means be so in touch with mother earth.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Have you read the book Wheat Belly? Read it. Its an eye opener. I live with the affects first hand. I'm just grateful that it doesn't bother me. My wife and my elder daughter can no longer eat wheat as it really messes with her digestive tract. They are in pain for days afterwards.
same here, my wife totally off gluten. Yet if you go to France or Italy, the gluten is still far more tolerable b/c of less GMO's and better crop diversity.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
same here, my wife totally off gluten. Yet if you go to France or Italy, the gluten is still far more tolerable b/c of less GMO's and better crop diversity.
Interesting.. I wonder if it afflicts the female population more readily than the male population.

C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
Terraces have long been known as a means of increasing yields on sloped ground. If the Peruvians only recently became aware of the technique, I'd place the blame on their government and agriculture department. Now, I grow some of my own veggies, freezing some, giving away some, simply because I find the taste superior. Growing up on a farm, you couldn't get any fresher than picking the corn just before cooking.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis