Banning the term climate change won’t stop the reality

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
The challenge is that such clarity is unlikely to ever be attained. Reasonable actions seem to be called for. Doubling the amount of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere in a short period of time seems like something we should try to avoid. I'm no expert at all, but I do wonder if we're fixated on the wrong threat. I worry more about ocean chemistry than I do about warming. Changing the ph of the oceans seems like a really bad idea.
Climate change is a primary cause of PH change in the oceans. It's all related.

http://www.pmel.noaa.gov/co2/story/What+is+Ocean+Acidification?

If you're concerned about ocean PH then you're also concerned with the amount of CO2 we are pumping into our atmosphere.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Climate change is a primary cause of PH change in the oceans. It's all related.

http://www.pmel.noaa.gov/co2/story/What+is+Ocean+Acidification?

If you're concerned about ocean PH then you're also concerned with the amount of CO2 we are pumping into our atmosphere.
We agree. I was just commenting that I'm worrying less about the warming aspect of adding CO2 to the atmosphere than I am about changing the chemistry of the oceans.

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
No credible science has linked sun spot activity with climate change. That is yet another fallacy to perpetuate the circle of confusion. Next someone is going to cite recent volcanic activity as the cause. Ignorance is bliss.
Oh brother.
You're either politicizing everything or making ad hominem attacks.
I simply mentioned another avenue of scientific research. I'm of the mind all research is valuable in some way.

Our planet has had wide temperature changes over the centuries... Do you deny that?

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Oh brother.
You're either politicizing everything or making ad hominem attacks.
I simply mentioned another avenue of scientific research. I'm of the mind all research is valuable in some way.

Our planet has had wide temperature changes over the centuries... Do you deny that?
Sorry but every argument you've made thus far has been political (global cooling, sun spots, Medieval warming, etc). This is ALL out of Fox news and Right wing talk shows NOT "scientific research".

As I said many times already, yes climate changes overtime but NEVER has it changed so rapidly (last 100 years or so) without a global extinction event as the culprit.

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
Sorry but every argument you've made thus far has been political (global cooling, sun spots, Medieval warming, etc). This is ALL out of Fox news and Right wing talk shows NOT "scientific research".

As I said many times already, yes climate changes overtime but NEVER has it changed so rapidly (last 100 years or so) without a global extinction event as the culprit.
I don't get Fox news
I haven't voted in 22 years
My point is... How did it the temp change by itself, up and down over millions of years??

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I don't get Fox news
I haven't voted in 22 years
My point is... How did it the temp change by itself, up and down over millions of years??
Rickster;

you seem like a reasonably intelligent person and please don't take any offense to my comments but I assume you know how to read a graph and note the slopes of temp change from the last 150 years vs the slope of change that occurred prior. The only time we've seen the same rate of change (rise or fall) in such a short period of time has been b/c of a natural disaster (super volcano explosion, asteroid impact, etc).

Again and again nobody is arguing climate changes over time. We are simply talking about the quick rise in temp over the last 150 years and how it correlates with man made increases in CO2 levels since the dawn of the industrial revolution. This shouldn't be hard to understand. If you don't believe increased levels in CO2 can trap in heat, then I invite you to visit the planet Venus some time whose atmosphere is comprised of about 96% CO2.

Again I point you to NASA:
http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/Features/GlobalWarming/page3.php

Models predict that Earth will warm between 2 and 6 degrees Celsius in the next century. When global warming has happened at various times in the past two million years, it has taken the planet about 5,000 years to warm 5 degrees. The predicted rate of warming for the next century is at least 20 times faster. This rate of change is extremely unusual.
The concentration of CO2 in the atmosphere has reached a record high relative to more than the past half-million years, and has done so at an exceptionally fast rate.

Last edited:
gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I know there are a few people here that think our government spends too much on studying climate change. I thought I'd put that fallacy into perspective.

This pie chart shows how President Obama proposes dividing up $1.16 trillion in discretionary spending in fiscal year 2015.

spendingchart.png

mandatory spend.png

total-spending.jpg

Last edited:
H

Hobbit

Senior Audioholic
We are simply talking about the quick rise in temp over the last 150 years and how it correlates with man made increases in CO2 levels since the dawn of the industrial revolution. This shouldn't be hard to understand. If you don't believe increased levels in CO2 can trap in heat, then I invite you to visit the planet Venus some time whose atmosphere is comprised of about 96% CO2.

Again I point you to NASA:
http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/Features/GlobalWarming/page3.php
You can go a step further with the correlation between the C02 levels and temp. In the graphs you can even see how the temp would follow downturns/upturns in the economy. During the great depression for instance, the C02 output from factories (and people drove less) decreased and the temperatures started decreasing. Even my skeptical friends who don't believe that climate change is 100% attributable to humans, say this is pretty damning evidence of the human contribution.

C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai

Can you clarify what you mean by climate? IOW, what changes are you talking about. In the scheme of things, 100 years isn't a particularly long time. According to Wikipedia http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quaternary_extinction_event, the Quaternary Extinction Event saw great changes but a post mortem by various scientists is inconclusive.

C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
That's quite some discretionary spending! Where is the section in the pie chart for home theater?

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
That's quite some discretionary spending! Where is the section in the pie chart for home theater?
Discretionary spending is only $1.15 trillion out of $3.99 trillion in total spending, so I'm guessing any HT systems are only for military use.

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
To get some more backgrounder, please watch these
Maybe you find it boring, but it's important

The facts are: According to Jeffrey D. Sachs, director of The Earth Institute, Columbia University,
  • 2014 is the hottest year in "instrument history", it could be the hottest year in 10.000 years
  • The business as usual path will lead to a 4 to 6 degree global temperature increase
  • We have reached 400 ppm of CO2 in atmosphere in 2014,which is the highest level of CO2 for the last 3 million years

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

There are great possibilities for the future:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
I believe man may have an influence on the rate of change in climatic shift but I'm still not 100% convinced that we are the sole reason for this shift. When Lief Erricon made it over to Newfoundlnd some 400+ years prior to Columbus, Lief discovered wild grapes growing in Newfoundland which indicates that the climate was definately warmer back then compared to now. Lief called Newfoundland Vinland. I don't know if you ever had a chance to visit the place but I wholy recommend it. People are awesome and friendly

Don't get me wrong. Mankind needs to stop poisoning the atmosphere. Acid Rain has killed many a lake in Norway, Sweden, and Finland and Canada too has suffered some loss in that respect as well.
Radioactive downfall from Chernobyl was much worse than any acid rain we experienced....

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
One point really hit home with me and I've eluded to this twice now. No one knows exactly what is causing global warming. Scientist may believe they do but these same scientists never acknowledged global warming and cooling cycles that have been occuring throughout time. Global warming IHO is not understood thoroughly so I fail to see why the "panic" button has been repeatedly hit on this supposedly man made event. (which it clearly isn't nor has it been clearly proven)
Vivek Wadhva claims that the largest source of CO2 into the atmosphere is animals, which probably include human beings too .... Not cars, Not Power plants, Not Ships ....

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Vivek Wadhva claims that the largest source of CO2 into the atmosphere is animals, which probably include human beings too .... Not cars, Not Power plants, Not Ships ....
So, how do you propose we do something about that?

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I know that I'm large producer after a feed of baked beans :oops: or Raisan Bran. I try an avoid these if I can to do my part for not contributing to global warming

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
Wow! It is amazing how friends w/ a shared bond and passion, (audio), so quickly display wholesale prejudice and disdain for half the group, (Democrat and Republican), over a single issue. And we wonder why countries and our own Congress can't reach more agreements with each other.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis