The everything Beer thread

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
It's getting to near saturation point.
There are so many craft beers around, I'm having trouble remember if I liked it last time or even if I ever had it before. :D
Was thinking of trying one of the beer apps for phone.
Yeah, it happens.

The market will get flooded, then the sub-par breweries will start going out of business.

It's tough, but then the ones that survive will have really good beers! And, once the market is mature in an area, it's tough for new guys to get in, due to the high quality of the competition.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
It's getting to near saturation point.
There are so many craft beers around, I'm having trouble remember if I liked it last time or even if I ever had it before. :D
Was thinking of trying one of the beer apps for phone.
Doesn't sound very tasty....:D

annunaki

annunaki

I agree on market saturation. There seems to be a new brewery every 5 minutes with a more ridiculous name for their wares than the last.

I try to support my local WI breweries as much as I can. There are many great beers I have had though. I like the untappd app for beer since I can document each one I have and note the flavor profiles.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I agree on market saturation. There seems to be a new brewery every 5 minutes with a more ridiculous name for their wares than the last.

I try to support my local WI breweries as much as I can. There are many great beers I have had though. I like the untappd app for beer since I can document each one I have and note the flavor profiles.
I'm guessing the margin must be decent given the number of breweries popping up around here.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I'm guessing the margin must be decent given the number of breweries popping up around here.
Margins are indeed decent, but probably not huge.

Running a brewery is A LOT OF WORK! And, it's not glamorous work. It's more like dirty manual labor.

The guys opening craft breweries are almost always doing a work of passion. You almost have to be passionate about it, or don't bother.

I have indeed taken a brief look at what it would take to open a brew pub, and it's not for me.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I had one of these last night.. Raspberries and beer just don't work well together.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Yup!

Shock Top in general is OK, but definitely not a "craft beer" as they try to pass it off as just than.

But, I'll pass on the raspberry. Probly tastes like cough syrup.

Now, done right, this Raspberry Lambic is good!
http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/187/599/
Its not a craft beer and I don't think its marketed as one either. Raspberry and beer just don't mix. Blueberry and beer..there is definately some chemistry between those two elements :p

annunaki

annunaki

I agree that brewing is a labor of passion for the perfect brew. It is great to see what so many brewers interpret that to be.

It just proves that no two people have the same palate.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I agree that brewing is a labor of passion for the perfect brew. It is great to see what so many brewers interpret that to be.

It just proves that no two people have the same palate.
We can't all be blessed with good taste. ;)

H

Hobbit

Senior Audioholic
Yeah, it happens.

The market will get flooded, then the sub-par breweries will start going out of business.

It's tough, but then the ones that survive will have really good beers! And, once the market is mature in an area, it's tough for new guys to get in, due to the high quality of the competition.
I disagree, at least with the first part about who's going out of business. I believe the survivors will be the best managed companies with the best advertising. Of course they will have a good product, but not necessarily the best. Eventually, the big makers will buy the leftovers up...

I've been enjoying a Monk's Dark Ale made at the Monastery of Christ in the Desert, just up the road from me in Abiquiu, NM.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Had me one of these last night with a home made pizza...

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I disagree, at least with the first part about who's going out of business. I believe the survivors will be the best managed companies with the best advertising. Of course they will have a good product, but not necessarily the best. Eventually, the big makers will buy the leftovers up...

I've been enjoying a Monk's Dark Ale made at the Monastery of Christ in the Desert, just up the road from me in Abiquiu, NM.
I don't see craft breweries going anywhere. Of course in my area demand is probably much higher given the large population centers we have.

H

Hobbit

Senior Audioholic
I don't see craft breweries going anywhere. Of course in my area demand is probably much higher given the large population centers we have.
It seems that's this is the latest fad. Not a bad one albeit:D I was just able to think of 23 brew pubs in ABQ that I can get to in 15 minutes. That doesn't include one's that have multiple locations. I'm probably leaving a few out that I don't even know of. In fact, I just googled it and NM ranks 12th in craft breweries per capita! Nice:cool:

I do believe something will give in a matter of time. When I was in my 20's there were night clubs with bands playing on every corner along with lines to get in on Friday and Saturday nights. I also remember bagel, Mexican style grilled chicken, donuts, Ice cream, and yogurt shops on virtually every corner at one time or another over the years... That we ended up with the sole chain bagel shop that shares a name with a famous scientist is a testament that being the best tasting isn't a prerequisite for surviving.

In the immediate future I wonder when the "how hoppy can we make it" trend will end?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis