Is Emotiva losing some of it's luster?

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
1st to the OP.
It sucks you're having electronic troubles. In this hobby it's bound to happen and has to many of us.
Paying for shipping one way seems to be what most companies do with their warranties.

Just a general comment, (not) directed toward OP:
China and Japan and most overseas manufacturers get a bad rap.
I often find it's people that don't know much about the industry, simply repeating the "Buy American" brainwashing.
I did circuit pack design for a very big telecom some years back. The CAD/CAM data would be sent to our unionized manufacturing plants and also sent to China or Singapore. I'd have PWBs for Bare Board testing and populated PWBs back from overseas, in my hands, while our US plants were still complaining about how it couldn't be done in the time allotted.
Don't mean to get political or hurt feelings. It was simply my experience for many years.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
OK, since this thread has gone to semi conductors lol, I'm guessing that it's just my crap luck in play here since no one else seems to be having issues.

Thank Gawd, my Stealth comes back today. I've been losing my mind these last 3 weeks.

DJ
So, other than these failures, it seems like you are very happy with the products and the sound quality?

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
The CAD/CAM data would be sent to our unionized manufacturing plants and also sent to China or Singapore. I'd have PWBs for Bare Board testing and populated PWBs back from overseas, in my hands, while our US plants were still complaining about how it couldn't be done in the time allotted.
Yeah, didn't take me long to spot the problem in that approach, highlighted in quote above.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
What, the people doing the work had all their teeth? Why is that a problem? :p
Right.

Yeah, any time I've worked in a "union plant", it was a lot of hassle and a lot of silliness and delay. Left a bad impression for me, I would like to think that all unions aren't like that, but my personal (somewhat limited) experience says otherwise.

djreef

djreef

Audioholic Chief
So, other than these failures, it seems like you are very happy with the products and the sound quality?
O ya, I'm good other than the apparent QC issues. I love the flexibilty and the performance. It's just a pain to be without for weeks at a time.

djreef

djreef

Audioholic Chief
Right.

Yeah, any time I've worked in a "union plant", it was a lot of hassle and a lot of silliness and delay. Left a bad impression for me, I would like to think that all unions aren't like that, but my personal (somewhat limited) experience says otherwise.

Unfortunately, at some point unions began existing for the sake of the union - not the people they were originally designed to represent. Kinda reminds me of government in that respect.

DJ

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Unfortunately, at some point unions began existing for the sake of the union - not the people they were originally designed to represent. Kinda reminds me of government in that respect.

DJ
Tread Careful here, before mods lock it for political discussion.
Unions could be bad or good. Depends upon whom you ask. One recent example : i heard a union port worker getting up to 3x income, compared to my senior IT position.
Guess how this affects prices for everything shipped

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
OK, back in business! OMG, I missed my system!

DJ
That's cool!

i heard a union port worker getting up to 3x income, compared to my senior IT position
I'm sure your employer will be very sad to lose you ... or are you suggesting that somebody doing a job you won't or possibly can't do, would better serve the greater good by being paid less? I feel the same about lawyers and doctors.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm sure your employer will be very sad to lose you ... or are you suggesting that somebody doing a job you won't or possibly can't do, would better serve the greater good by being paid less? I feel the same about lawyers and doctors.
Alex, with all due respect to your chosen profession (whatever it is), you might be aware how hard and long hours I had to work to where I am now and how little I earned most of the way. Still barely get market rate.
As for working at the port now a days - we are far from Marlon Brando's "On the Waterfront". It's cranes, trucks and any other powered tool. Most people don't actually lift anything by using physical force. Many women already work there. In fact the gentlemen who was kind enough to shave this with use said he's young daughter is interested in this job.

As for me - I think you underestimate my ambitions - If I had any chance into world to work there I would in fact quit my job today. (this regards -"won't do") as for "Can't do" - compared to running IT for multi-billion dollar financial firm - how hard can it be?

What I am suggesting here is SOME union workers are WAY overpaid - not compared to their non-union colleagues, but compared to most small biz owners or even some doctors and lawyers.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Alex, with all due respect to your chosen profession (whatever it is), you might be aware how hard and long hours I had to work to where I am now and how little I earned most of the way. Still barely get market rate.
As for working at the port now a days - we are far from Marlon Brando's "On the Waterfront". It's cranes, trucks and any other powered tool. Most people don't actually lift anything by using physical force. Many women already work there. In fact the gentlemen who was kind enough to shave this with use said he's young daughter is interested in this job.

As for me - I think you underestimate my ambitions - If I had any chance into world to work there I would in fact quit my job today. (this regards -"won't do") as for "Can't do" - compared to running IT for multi-billion dollar financial firm - how hard can it be?

What I am suggesting here is SOME union workers are WAY overpaid - not compared to their non-union colleagues, but compared to most small biz owners or even some doctors and lawyers.
If you go to work on the docks will you still help me when I have computer problems? :D

How much can those guys make? $40/hour? It's harder than I thought to find the hourly rate. Yearly incomes are misleading because of all the overtime and double time. When you find somebody that's WAY overpaid, you can bet that they put in some hours. The hourly rate is what counts.

I had no estimation of your ambitions but I know you're smart. So now I'm confused by what I think I read. You'd quit your job to work on the docks? That sounds crazy to me. BTW, I'm a union carpenter.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I was happy to make good money as an engineer in manufacturing. However, if you offered me the same money to work on the floor as a machine operator, no way!
I'm not sure if they worked "harder" or not, but I couldn't stand being tied to and paced by a machine. That may be unique to me, but I have done their jobs to better understand a process and it bored me to tears.
The best part of my job is I could make their jobs better as long as production was improved or at least not worsened.

djreef

djreef

Audioholic Chief
Wow, I had no idea we were gonna end up here. I dunno, I just know what unions have done to the USPS, and countless other well meaning institutions. You just need to look at the mess they've created recently on the docks on the West Coast. That actually has the capability to negatively affect national GDP at a time when we really don't need it.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
If you go to work on the docks will you still help me when I have computer problems? :D

How much can those guys make? $40/hour? It's harder than I thought to find the hourly rate. Yearly incomes are misleading because of all the overtime and double time. When you find somebody that's WAY overpaid, you can bet that they put in some hours. The hourly rate is what counts.

I had no estimation of your ambitions but I know you're smart. So now I'm confused by what I think I read. You'd quit your job to work on the docks? That sounds crazy to me. BTW, I'm a union carpenter.
$40 an hour? I think you missed my point as for scale. I'll pm you the numbers. As overtime, doubletime and from i heard even occasional triple time, i don't quite see why would i disregard it or being misleading. Bottom line is this : i get salary X for working hard all year. I get zero overtime. Dock Union worker get double and triple rates which significantly increase total compensation and after 10 years brings its closer to 3X salary.
At my previous employee, it was not uncommon to pay (at least) thousand dollars for union electrician to do about one hour of work, since building required it (*)

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
I had problems with both my Emo amps and the ERC-2 CD player. I have moved on from them. It's a shame because I like there stuff. Just seems I am sending it back all the time for repairs.. I now have Parasound and ATI amps.

ARES24

ARES24

Full Audioholic
Back to the point!! WOOHOOO!!

Sorry I don't like employer/employee bitchings when trying to enjoy my hobby!!!

H

Hobbit

Senior Audioholic
I was happy to make good money as an engineer in manufacturing. However, if you offered me the same money to work on the floor as a machine operator, no way!
I'm not sure if they worked "harder" or not, but I couldn't stand being tied to and paced by a machine. That may be unique to me, but I have done their jobs to better understand a process and it bored me to tears.
The best part of my job is I could make their jobs better as long as production was improved or at least not worsened.
Sounds like my job. I couldn't agree more.

What is the definition of work harder? Is it being busy doing something "visible" all day? Or is it thinking of solutions and planning out how to accomplish it? You don't appear to be working as hard doing the latter.

While I'm not necessarily a union guy, I do wonder sometimes. I worked for a company where we were on a pay freeze. Then, looking at the insider pages, we find out the insiders got raises. Their raises totaled ~$7000 per employee! These are all people who's compensation packages were already in the millions. The rest of us ended up being on a pay freeze for another year.

It's kind of like pro sports. The players are paid ridiculous amounts of money. But being we as a society value sports so much, I don't mind the players are getting paid like this when the alternative is the owners pocketing all the money.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Sorry guys. I want to apologize on the behalf of BSA and Rick. :D

Back to our regularly scheduled b!tchings. :rolleyes:

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis