Denon 4802 FLC repair

N

noob1

Audiophyte
Hello all. New to the site hopeing you could help. The front left channel on my Denon4802 has basicly quit on me, however if I apply light pressure to the speaker output connector it comes back. I have reseated the connection several times it is fine. Is there anything I can do? I don't have the money to send it out and it is out of warranty. I attached pics of the connector and how I apply pressure to get the sound back. Any Ideas? Thanks a million. I will check back tonight as I will gone all day.

Attachments

xboxweasel

xboxweasel

Full Audioholic
Sounds like a bad solder joint. Look to see where the problematic speaker terminals connector to the circuit board. If you have a soldering iron you can reheat the solder pads, you might need some more solder too, to fix the problem.

Just don't cause any more damage. :eek:

Edit: I'm assuming you have verified all speaker posts are tight.

D

Dryseals

Audioholic Intern
Look for a cold solder joint, it will not be as shiny as the others. Use a low power solder iron to re-heat the solder.

Ricky Bourgeois

Audiophyte
Hello, I'm having problems with AVR 4802. I Live in a small town with bad power distribution sometimes with go between 125 and 130 as a result the other day I was listening to music and I heard a snap in the amp and it stoped and now when I turn it on it comes on for 5 seconds and as soon as the audio is about to play it clicks out. Could anyone gie me suggestions?

Ricky Bourgeois

Audiophyte
I have taken off the top and bottom cover. I looked for browness and I don't see or smell nothing. When I plug it looking at the bottom on the front left side I have 2 clicking box called DLS1U. It appears to be circut brakers that click on when I plug it and after 3 seconds clicks off stand by light is blinking. I wanted to eliminate the main amp part and I tried to put my headphones in the hole, hoping it would turn off the speakers. Because I'm not capable of using the remote to shut off speakers and there is nothing plug into the machine no speakers or wires. I have found a repair center for Denon near by they charge 85.00/hour to check it. I'm not sure it's worth it. I would like to be able to know if I could seperate the pre amp from the amp and how to?

J

jeff22

Audiophyte
Help...I screwed up....my denon 4802 I was hooking up a center channel speaker while amp was on and touched fm coax 75 ohms.....st it down won't power up now...tries to but shuts off and stand by light blinks....dammit mann!! I hope I didn't ruin it!!

Haoleb

Haoleb

Audioholic Field Marshall
Help...I screwed up....my denon 4802 I was hooking up a center channel speaker while amp was on and touched fm coax 75 ohms.....st it down won't power up now...tries to but shuts off and stand by light blinks....dammit mann!! I hope I didn't ruin it!!
Depending on the circuitry in that thing you may have damaged the output stage or simply just blew a fuse. Considering it is a higher end Denon I would imagine they fused most of the circuitry. Your first step is going to be popping the cover off and checking all of the fuses. There will likely be several near the power supply and also possibly others on the output boards.

Just make sure that you have it unplugged.

J

jeff22

Audiophyte
Did that...visable fuses are fine...(4)..sounds like a relay clicking back off and standby light fashing

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Did that...visable fuses are fine...(4)..sounds like a relay clicking back off and standby light fashing
You blew the output transistors and now they need replacing, may be also some diodes and the driver transistors as well.

J

jeff22

Audiophyte
: 1068765, member: 18788"]Depending on the circuitry in that thing you may have damaged the output stage or simply just blew a fuse. Considering it is a higher end Denon I would imagine they fused most of the circuitry. Your first step is going to be popping the cover off and checking all of the fuses. There will likely be several near the power supply and also possibly others on the output boards.

Just make sure that you have it unplugged.[/QUOTE]
Thanks..appreciate I

J

jeff22

Audiophyte
TLS Guy said:
You blew the output transistors and now they need replacing, may be also some diodes and the driver transistors as well.
Who should I get to repair It and what would be a ballpark cost should i expect...thank again for your input

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Who should I get to repair It and what would be a ballpark cost should i expect...thank again for your input
If there is a good repair facility were you live, that would be fine. However there probably is not, as most of these guys have gone out of business as so much gear is now disposable, or not fixable.

The cost of operating these businesses is high and the cost of test equipment enormous.

Expect to pay somewhere between $200 and $300 depending on how long it takes to identify the components that need replacing. That is where most of the cost is.

If there is no one in your area, I would call Denon and see where their nearest repair facility is.

Edit: - I now see that unit is over 10 years old. I'm sorry, but that unit is not worth the cost of that repair. It is headed for the recycling center.

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

2000 dollar amp 875 watts..I don't think so
You are paying the penalty for owning a receiver.

There are a couple of issues with this device.

Its codecs are out of date, and it has none of the facilities offered by newer units.

At that age, for a device with micro processors, it is getting to the end of its expected life.

Next we don't know for sure what parts it needs. Most likely it just needs widely available generic parts. However there is more than an outside chance it may require a driver stage that could be in an NLA chip. Chip driver stages have been common for many years now.

There is only an obligation to keep parts for 7 years. With electronics there is an out, as chips are only made once far more often than not. When they are gone, they are gone, never to return.

Now if it turns out the unit needs an NLA part you will still have to pay the service center, as finding out the extent of the damage is the lions share of the bill.

So you are gambling on being able to repair an obsolete 11 year old unit, running the risk of paying out to get nothing and having to fork out for a new unit.

I realize the amps were good, however if you had separates the amps just about never go obsolete and are much easier to service. The processor can be replaced as technology progresses and or they fail.

Personally, I would not be putting money into that receiver, but if it serves you current needs and you are in a gambling frame of mind, then go ahead by all means.

If you are like me and like to keep equipment long, you should seriously consider getting into separates at this point.

J

jeff22

Audiophyte
Mannn!! Well I guess i screwed it up ...thanks for your time and input I will consider my options...I was given to me a couple years ago...so I'm out no cash ...thanks again..jeff

Haoleb

Haoleb

Audioholic Field Marshall
I wouldn't write it off completely just yet. Did you take the bottom cover off and check those fuses too? I could tell you to check certain components if I had one of these in front of me but I don't so I am just going by the pictures I can find online. It looks like a relatively simple to repair unit if we are talking just the output stage.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis