Denon 4802 FLC repair

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I wouldn't write it off completely just yet. Did you take the bottom cover off and check those fuses too? I could tell you to check certain components if I had one of these in front of me but I don't so I am just going by the pictures I can find online. It looks like a relatively simple to repair unit if we are talking just the output stage.
I think this is the internal view of that unit.

If the problem stops with the power transistors, that is one thing. Sometimes it does, sometimes it does not.

Even so those power amp boards are pretty crowded, so you would need know how to find your way around.

Personally, I don't usually get very far servicing gear like that without a circuit diagram and better still a service manual.

I can't find either on line.

I doubt this is a fuse problem as the protection relay is cycling, indicating the power transistors are getting power, but shorted, with an excessive collector to emitter current draw. The relay is protecting the power supply.

The OP has had an invaluable learning experience. This unit was given to him, as even two years ago there was not much value remaining in the unit. For around likely double the cost of repair, he can get a better unit, that is up to date and offers more facility, like streaming.

If he has enough skill and experience to fix it himself fine, but absent that my advice to to recycle it and move on.

J

jeff22

Audiophyte
Yeah that's it...I know I'm at a crossroad here...I can look around and try to locate more fuses but circuit board repair is beyond my experties

Haoleb

Haoleb

Audioholic Field Marshall
I did see a photo of a unit with the bottom cover off and there were multiple fuses there. Not certain that was this particular one but its worth a check. You may also be able to un plug the cable connectors going to the board that has the suspect channel and get it to power up and possibly even work with the other channels.

J

jeff22

Audiophyte
Justgot off the phone with Denon and tried to reset deal with the direct in stereo button and unplugging it and plugging it in and holding the buttons at the same time it didn't work....so I will ckeck out other options

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis