Yamaha RX-A3040 AV Receiver Dolby Atmos Review

• Thread starter Steve Pitbull Potenziano
  • Start date

Has this chaged your mind in wanting to try Atmos?

• Total voters
Steve Pitbull Potenziano

Steve Pitbull Potenziano

Audioholics Bouncer
0115150853.jpg
0115150927a.jpg
1009140908.jpg
1011141312a.jpg

Dolby Atmos Test Results for Various Speaker Configurations

By. Steve Potenziano

When building my new room I tried to plan it out in such a way that I could effectively “ future proof” myself for any situation. Knowing the challenges I did what I could at the time with designing the build and seeing it through to completion. The room is 14ft x 17tf with 9ft celling’s, eggshell paint and textured celling to help with light reflections and to prevent bounce off. The equipment I chose is due to “spouse factor”. I typically upgrade every two years. I've had Samsung Plasmas, LG Passive LEDs, Sharps, and now a Vizio M series which is an under rated TV if not calibrated properly. Another great feature of my Vizio is the Bias Lighting on the back. I also use the Darby 5000 VPU. I find when set at 47% it gives just the right pop and clarity to the picture without being totally noticeable. The Vizio is very good investment If you are looking for an improvement over what you use now. I originally used Bi Pole and Di Pole, but my wife did not like the look and size, so I moved to an Omni directional speaker as the Mirage Nanostat. It is a great sounding speaker with a great sound diffusion and the size more acceptable I use the Definitive Tech Heights speaker, so I could match the front and centers to get a great overall sound experience. I normally switch out AV receivers the same I upgrade my TV. Reason being I wanted to get the Dolby Atmos technology. The Yamaha 3040 AV Receiver is nothing less than an incredible piece of tech, and it was a better fit for my 11.1 system. I use Sony 3D Blu ray and Toshiba HD DVD player for visual purposes .I use two subwoofers and will soon add a third. The subwoofers are the Velodyne 12in Spl which work incredibly well for the acoustics in the room, giving off just the right amount of boom and chest thump without being over powered. The subwoofers have been matched to the room with my SPL meter so they are very smooth and are only noticeable when they need to be. In the build of the theatre itself I had ran 500ft of 14/4 wire in the wall double stranded just for insurance. I also added Dynamat under the drywall, under the floors, and celling for sound containment.

Ultimately I think I did a good job on the build with minor tweaks. I may have done a few things differently in hindsight, but overall I’m very satisfied with what I have done.

Room and Equipment Configuration

• The room is 17x14 ft long and wide. 9ft celling

• The 80 Vizio M series LED is a 3D Tv Passive.

• Darby 5000 VPU

• Yamaha 3040 AV Receiver

• 8 Mirage Nanostat Surrounds

• 4 Definitive Technology DI 4.5R 4-1/2" Round In-Ceiling Speaker

• Sony 3D Blu ray BDP-S790

• Toshiba HD DVD player HD-AX2

• Emotiva UPA 500 Amp

• Definitive Tech center Mythos Solo Xt wired in Series

• Definitive Tech Super towers BP 7004 sc

• Velodyne Subs 12in Spl x2 did use 2 SVS SB12-NSD 12s to tame for my taste

• Room color Deep Grey High Speed Steel.

• 500ft of 14/4 wire dbl runs to every speaker coded for in wall fire.

• 4 37 ft HDMI cables also for code.

• Pre wired celling speakers just in case front and back.

• Dynamat under every wall and ceiling for acoustics

• I also just Added a 106" Elite screen and a 3D Projector Not used in this review.

I decided to structure this article as a Q&A format with hopes of answering the most common questions audioholics may have about Dolby Atmos. If I left any stones unturned, please feel free to submit your questions in our dedicated forum thread where I can jump in and answer. Who knows, this could lead to an article addendum with your chance of becoming internet famous for your contribution.

Transformer 4 Atmos Blu-ray Test Results

Q:In regular 7.1 mode, if you select Dolby Atmos Soundtrack, does it say Atmos or TrueHD on the receiver front panel?

A: At any time you can select the Atmos setting and it is only displayed with the Atmos symbol.

Q:In regular 7.1 mode, do you hear a difference switching from TrueHD to Atmos?

A: Yes actually you do. It isn't as a pronounced sound is if was broadcast in Atmos So in that case I’d rather let it decide in auto which sounds best but if I had to pick a setting it would be Neo 6 Cinema.

Q:How does Transformers sound in 11.1 vs. 7.1.4? Describe the differences, similarities and which you prefer.

Q:What was your preferred speaker configuration and DSP setting?

A: If Atmos is selected there is a definite increase in surround presence. I can also say in 11.1 is no slouch rather it is noticeable but not so much that a person not knowing would make the connection. Also my preferred speaker setting since there is only 2 movies that have Atmos at this time would definitely be 11.1. My favorite DSP mode for movies would be the Sci-Fi setting.

Using a regular TrueHD or DTS-HD Blu-ray

Q:In 7.1 config: How does it sound comparing native surround vs. adding Dolby Surround Up mixer (DSU)?

A: I actually prefer the native 7.1 compared to the DSU. The only setting in DSU that sounds comparable and adds to the experience is the action movie setting the rest give it less pop and depth.

Q: How does 11.1 sound vs. 7.1.4 with DSU engaged?

Q: How does DSU compare to Yamaha DSP for 11.1 config and 7.1.4 config?

Q: What was your preferred speaker configuration and DSP setting?

A:In 11.1 with say Sci-fi setting on it gives it a different flavor or warmth to the sound I would either choose the Sci-fi or action movie setting in 11.1. As far as with 7.1.4 It tends to detract from the height channels and it seems to blend it more with the other surround speakers. in either TrueHD or DTS-HD .I can say I prefer the 11.1 over the 7.1.4 with either of the 2 DSU settings turned on. Even though there are many more DSU settings for movies they would be my first choice.

DSU Test Results for Two-Channel Music

Q:How does 2CH sound vs. 7.1.4 in DSU?

Q: How does 2CH sound vs. Yamaha DSP mode such as Jazz Club or Rock Hall?

A: I am a fan of pure 2ch music, the 7.1.4 with music isn't necessary, it is a nice novelty and sounds cool for short bursts. I would not use that setting for music often. The DSU setting 11ch Stereo has a better sound and feel to it by far. The 2chn sound with Rock hall vs. Jazz club is a pretty close apples to apples. I prefer the low end and warmer sound coming from the Jazz club personally. My favorite setting is the 2 channel with the 11 channel stereo next the 7.1.4. I am not a fan of music coming from over my head, but that's just me.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Atmos Blu-ray Test Results

I did notice a better Atmos effect and better separating effects in TMNT than in TF4. The actual sound of the movie and over all experience was more enjoyable than it was with TF4. I’m not sure if it is the technology getting better, or the fact that the Yamaha updated to new firmware. I did notice in the new firmware that the new Atmos separate's in now engaged where it was not there before. I will have to go through more testing and searching in the system itself to see if any of the modes in DSU or the other were affected as Atmos was. I will include a full review update as I get that done this week.

Thanks all!

Pitbull out.
Listening Test Update:
  • I have run the animated movies Tangled and Finding Nemo with Atmos Enabled. I did notice a major difference in the surround effects with the Atmos configuration enabled vs. Dolby Pro Logic 2 or STX Neo 6. They offered quite a bit more pop and punch to the experience.
If there is a movie that you all would like me to test please submit it here. I would be more than glad to give it a go. Here is a link to YouTube video I posted.

Last edited by a moderator:
B

budbrande

Audioholic Intern
I just purchased the RX-A3040 to replace my Onkyo YX-NR906 that suffered HDMI board failure last weekend. Have to say I am really impressed with the sound of the Yamaha compared to the Onkyo. Not to mention I find that it tends to run much cooler during operation. I plan to get a feel for it over the next few weeks and will update.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Dolby Atmos Test Results for Various Speaker Configurations

By. Steve Potenziano

When building my new room I tried to plan it out in such a way that I could effectively “ future proof” myself for any situation. Knowing the challenges I did what I could at the time with designing the build and seeing it through to completion. The room is 14ft x 17tf with 9ft celling’s, eggshell paint and textured celling to help with light reflections and to prevent bounce off. The equipment I chose is due to “spouse factor”. I typically upgrade every two years. I've had Samsung Plasmas, LG Passive LEDs, Sharps, and now a Vizio M series which is an under rated TV if not calibrated properly. Another great feature of my Vizio is the Bias Lighting on the back. I also use the Darby 5000 VPU. I find when set at 47% it gives just the right pop and clarity to the picture without being totally noticeable. The Vizio is very good investment If you are looking for an improvement over what you use now. I originally used Bi Pole and Di Pole, but my wife did not like the look and size, so I moved to an Omni directional speaker as the Mirage Nanostat. It is a great sounding speaker with a great sound diffusion and the size more acceptable I use the Definitive Tech Heights speaker, so I could match the front and centers to get a great overall sound experience. I normally switch out AV receivers the same I upgrade my TV. Reason being I wanted to get the Dolby Atmos technology. The Yamaha 3040 AV Receiver is nothing less than an incredible piece of tech, and it was a better fit for my 11.1 system. I use Sony 3D Blu ray and Toshiba HD DVD player for visual purposes .I use two subwoofers and will soon add a third. The subwoofers are the Velodyne 12in Spl which work incredibly well for the acoustics in the room, giving off just the right amount of boom and chest thump without being over powered. The subwoofers have been matched to the room with my SPL meter so they are very smooth and are only noticeable when they need to be. In the build of the theatre itself I had ran 500ft of 14/4 wire in the wall double stranded just for insurance. I also added Dynamat under the drywall, under the floors, and celling for sound containment.

Ultimately I think I did a good job on the build with minor tweaks. I may have done a few things differently in hindsight, but overall I’m very satisfied with what I have done.

Room and Equipment Configuration

• The room is 17x14 ft long and wide. 9ft celling

• The 80 Vizio M series LED is a 3D Tv Passive.

• Darby 5000 VPU

• Yamaha 3040 AV Receiver

• 8 Mirage Nanostat Surrounds

• 4 Definitive Technology DI 4.5R 4-1/2" Round In-Ceiling Speaker

• Sony 3D Blu ray BDP-S790

• Toshiba HD DVD player HD-AX2

• Emotiva UPA 500 Amp

• Definitive Tech center Mythos Solo Xt wired in Series

• Definitive Tech Super towers BP 7004 sc

• Velodyne Subs 12in Spl x2 did use 2 SVS SB12-NSD 12s to tame for my taste

• Room color Deep Grey High Speed Steel.

• 500ft of 14/4 wire dbl runs to every speaker coded for in wall fire.

• 4 37 ft HDMI cables also for code.

• Pre wired celling speakers just in case front and back.

• Dynamat under every wall and ceiling for acoustics

• I also just Added a 106" Elite screen and a 3D Projector Not used in this review.

I decided to structure this article as a Q&A format with hopes of answering the most common questions audioholics may have about Dolby Atmos. If I left any stones unturned, please feel free to submit your questions in our dedicated forum thread where I can jump in and answer. Who knows, this could lead to an article addendum with your chance of becoming internet famous for your contribution.

Transformer 4 Atmos Blu-ray Test Results

Q:In regular 7.1 mode, if you select Dolby Atmos Soundtrack, does it say Atmos or TrueHD on the receiver front panel?

A: At any time you can select the Atmos setting and it is only displayed with the Atmos symbol.

Q:In regular 7.1 mode, do you hear a difference switching from TrueHD to Atmos?

A: Yes actually you do. It isn't as a pronounced sound is if was broadcast in Atmos So in that case I’d rather let it decide in auto which sounds best but if I had to pick a setting it would be Neo 6 Cinema.

Q:How does Transformers sound in 11.1 vs. 7.1.4? Describe the differences, similarities and which you prefer.

A: If Atmos is selected there is a definite increase in surround presence. I can also say in 11.1 is no slouch rather it is noticeable but not so much that a person not knowing would make the connection. Also my preferred speaker setting since there is only 2 movies that have Atmos at this time would definitely be 11.1. My favorite DSP mode for movies would be the Sci-Fi setting.

Using a regular TrueHD or DTS-HD Blu-ray

Q:In 7.1 config: How does it sound comparing native surround vs. adding Dolby Surround Up mixer (DSU)?

A: I actually prefer the native 7.1 compared to the DSU. The only setting in DSU that sounds comparable and adds to the experience is the action movie setting the rest give it less pop and depth.

Q: How does 11.1 sound vs. 7.1.4 with DSU engaged?

Q: How does DSU compare to Yamaha DSP for 11.1 config and 7.1.4 config?

Q: What was your preferred speaker configuration and DSP setting?

A:In 11.1 with say Sci-fi setting on it gives it a different flavor or warmth to the sound I would either choose the Sci-fi or action movie setting in 11.1. As far as with 7.1.4 It tends to detract from the height channels and it seems to blend it more with the other surround speakers. in either TrueHD or DTS-HD .I can say I prefer the 11.1 over the 7.1.4 with either of the 2 DSU settings turned on. Even though there are many more DSU settings for movies they would be my first choice.

DSU Test Results for Two-Channel Music

Q:How does 2CH sound vs. 7.1.4 in DSU?

Q: How does 2CH sound vs. Yamaha DSP mode such as Jazz Club or Rock Hall?

A: I am a fan of pure 2ch music, the 7.1.4 with music isn't necessary, it is a nice novelty and sounds cool for short bursts. I would not use that setting for music often. The DSU setting 11ch Stereo has a better sound and feel to it by far. The 2chn sound with Rock hall vs. Jazz club is a pretty close apples to apples. I prefer the low end and warmer sound coming from the Jazz club personally. My favorite setting is the 2 channel with the 11 channel stereo next the 7.1.4. I am not a fan of music coming from over my head, but that's just me.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Atmos Blu-ray Test Results

I did notice a better Atmos effect and better separating effects in TMNT than in TF4. The actual sound of the movie and over all experience was more enjoyable than it was with TF4. I’m not sure if it is the technology getting better, or the fact that the Yamaha updated to new firmware. I did notice in the new firmware that the new Atmos separate's in now engaged where it was not there before. I will have to go through more testing and searching in the system itself to see if any of the modes in DSU or the other were affected as Atmos was. I will include a full review update as I get that done this week.

Thanks all!

Pitbull out.

• Update:
  • I have run the animated movies Tangled and Finding Nemo with Atmos Enabled. I did notice a major difference in the surround effects with the Atmos configuration enabled vs. Dolby Pro Logic 2 or STX Neo 6. They offered quite a bit more pop and punch to the experience.

If there is a movie that you all would like me to test please submit it here. I would be more than glad to give it a go.
Great report Steve! How about throwing up some images of your system and embedding your youtube video to show people what your running?

Steve Pitbull Potenziano

Steve Pitbull Potenziano

Audioholics Bouncer
I just purchased the RX-A3040 to replace my Onkyo YX-NR906 that suffered HDMI board failure last weekend. Have to say I am really impressed with the sound of the Yamaha compared to the Onkyo. Not to mention I find that it tends to run much cooler during operation. I plan to get a feel for it over the next few weeks and will update.

Great receiver and please do share .

Steve Pitbull Potenziano

Steve Pitbull Potenziano

Audioholics Bouncer
Does Anyone want me to test any movies at all since my collection is pretty vast. Also since I can set Atmos on any Blu Ray.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Looks great and the hard work paid off. I wish I could visit. :) I can't wait till you get the 100 inch screen. I love mine. It's huge in my tiny studio apt. Which PJ are you getting? How about testing the last Star Trek movie, Hellboy or Gravity. :)

Steve Pitbull Potenziano

Steve Pitbull Potenziano

Audioholics Bouncer
Looks great and the hard work paid off. I wish I could visit. :) I can't wait till you get the 100 inch screen. I love mine. It's huge in my tiny studio apt. Which PJ are you getting? How about testing the last Star Trek movie, Hellboy or Gravity. :)

I will test Gravity I have it in 3D so I can watch it on TV or through the projector. I also have Star Trek in 3D also and Hellboy both are some of my all time favourite's. Doug Jones is Abe Sapien and he and I are best friends lol .So always looking for any reason to watch his movies again :) Your wish is my command :)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Great job indeed, Steve!

I'm glad you are getting great enjoyment from the Dolby ATMOS.

I still won't go for it, but I'm glad someone is enjoying the heck out of it. :D

RichB

RichB

Audioholic Field Marshall
^^^
I voted it has not changed my mind because 2 channel matters most to me.
It is fantastic when folks like Steve do a tremendous job on their systems and enjoy the fruits of their labor.

Perhaps it is because my system is very good that I mostly forget about the soundtrack while watching movies. I never watch a bad movie to listen to it.

My ceiling is not trayed on one side varying from 8 to 14 feet. There are beams and fans in the way. I suppose it would be possible and never say never :p :D

- Rich

Steve Pitbull Potenziano

Steve Pitbull Potenziano

Audioholics Bouncer
Thank you all for the great feedback. I do App it very much and yes I do enjoy it and even when not watching in Atmos I still use the 11.1 and totally love it. I do also enjoy listening to music I sang in a death metal band for years so deff like to slam my system with that.;) As I said if you all like the review and what II have done LET GENE KNOW :)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Thank you all for the great feedback. I do App it very much and yes I do enjoy it and even when not watching in Atmos I still use the 11.1 and totally love it. I do also enjoy listening to music I sang in a death metal band for years so deff like to slam my system with that.;) As I said if you all like the review and what II have done LET GENE KNOW :)
I think your passion and enthusiasm of ATMOS & extended surround sound is rubbing off on me. :D

I am more open to the idea of ATMOS because of you - a lot more open to ATMOS than several months ago. :D

That's what is hobby is all about - the enthusiasm, excitement, passion of new technologies. :D

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I voted no as well to Atmos based on the monitary outlay it would cost for me to upgrade. I would rather pay off my mortage first as I'm very happy with what I have now. :)

RichB

RichB

Audioholic Field Marshall
I voted no as well to Atmos based on the monitary outlay it would cost for me to upgrade. I would rather pay off my mortage first as I'm very happy with what I have now. :)
Wait, are adults into this conversation? :p :D

- Rich

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis