Parasound Volume Pot part two

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
I'm on my second Parasound P5 preamp. I am hearing noise/Hiss while turning the volume up again on this one too. It just started about a month into ownership. Just like my first one. I sent the first one back for repair and they couldn't duplicate it. On to another one once I sold my first and this one does it too. I am guessing it's just a character of this volume pot. It's not audible when the song is loud. When you turn the volume up during a quite intro to a song is when it's noticed most. Not a huge deal again but when I spend this type of money on something, I expect a little higher quality I guess. My Marantz gear has never done anything like this. I believe my new Primaluna HP integrated uses the same Alps volume pot. It's dead silent however. I am not here to bash Parasound at all. Just a little frustrating since it has all the features of a pre amp you could ever want.

RichB

RichB

Audioholic Field Marshall
If you do not need the bass management, then consider the Oppo HA-1 it is a fantastic quality DAC and preamp.

- Rich

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
Never thought about that one. With my towers and sub I ended up running both on full and not even using bass management.. I did however with my bookshelves.. Thanks

RichB

RichB

^^^

The name throws folks off.
Inputs include COAX, TOSLink, XLR, RCA.
It has a bypass mode (power required) and I connect the BDP-105 via XLR for FR/FL to a Parasound A21 and the remaining channels to a Parasound A31 for 2 + 3 system.

- Rich

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Wow! What a hassle on the P5!!!

Personally, I like Parasound, I have a used 1206 that has performed flawlessly, and I just picked up a used ZCD. Price vs. performance on Parasound is tough to beat, probably only Emotiva is a better bargain in general.

But, your problems on the P5 have me reconsidering just how much of a bargain the Parasounds are. One other nitpick for Parasound is how the Halo amps have XLR connections, but don't have fully differential circuitry.

So, can you please tell me what model of potentiometer is in the P5? Ask the dealer if you don't know, please. Mostly, I want to know because I do some DIY projects and I want to know what model of Alps pot to avoid like the plague!

It also makes me wonder if somehow Parasound got a hold of some cheap Chinese Alps Knockoffs. Wouldn't be the first time something like that happened.

And yes, for the price and the marketing on the P5, you absolutely should expect a flawless product. After 2 failures, I would absolutely discuss with the dealer how we could move away from the P5 and keep me a happy customer (i.e. keep me from spending any more $).

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Wow! What a hassle on the P5!!!

Personally, I like Parasound, I have a used 1206 that has performed flawlessly, and I just picked up a used ZCD. Price vs. performance on Parasound is tough to beat, probably only Emotiva is a better bargain in general.

But, your problems on the P5 have me reconsidering just how much of a bargain the Parasounds are. One other nitpick for Parasound is how the Halo amps have XLR connections, but don't have fully differential circuitry.

So, can you please tell me what model of potentiometer is in the P5? Ask the dealer if you don't know, please. Mostly, I want to know because I do some DIY projects and I want to know what model of Alps pot to avoid like the plague!

It also makes me wonder if somehow Parasound got a hold of some cheap Chinese Alps Knockoffs. Wouldn't be the first time something like that happened.

And yes, for the price and the marketing on the P5, you absolutely should expect a flawless product. After 2 failures, I would absolutely discuss with the dealer how we could move away from the P5 and keep me a happy customer (i.e. keep me from spending any more $).
I just looked at the P5 data sheet on the Parasound website. It indicates "motorized Alps pot", but no model number.

But, this makes me curious: Does the problem happen when you adjust volume with the remote? Does it also happen when you adjust the volume manually at the knob on the P5? Those questions could provide some insight to the root cause.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
See, everyone should just buy either an AVR or a pre-pro. :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Or go the DIY route ;)
Why go through the trouble when something like a Denon X4000 is only $800 from Amazon?

It's not like a DIY preamp or amp is going to sound better.

And how long will it take to complete the DIY project (research, reading, prep, buying parts and tools, and actually putting it together) ?

24 hours? You could work overtime and pay for the X4000. :D

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Why go through the trouble when something like a Denon X4000 is only $800 from Amazon?

It's not like a DIY preamp or amp is going to sound better.

And how long will it take to complete the DIY project (research, reading, prep, buying parts and tools, and actually putting it together) ?

24 hours? You could work overtime and pay for the X4000. :D
DIY may not sound better, but it can have better build quality (at least my DIY have better parts and better build than pretty much any AVR :cool:).

More to the point.....When something does go south, you have the skillset to troubleshoot it and fix it yourself!

I'll take that $800 and spend it on proper electronics tools instead :p

Sure, it takes longer, but I'm OK with that. I have plenty of consumer gear to get me by until my project is complete. Also, I tend to build my amps with input gain pots, so a preamp isn't 100% needed.

So, spend $800 on an AVR that will be obsolete in 6-7 years? Or invest $800 in tools and skills?

FIY, this is the DIY Preamp that I have been eyeballing for quite a while. Yes, it is pricey, but Douglas Self literally wrote the book (at least 1 of the more respected books) on amplifier and audio electronic design!

http://www.signaltransfer.freeuk.com/preamp.htm

I would take that as a blank PCB over a questionable P5 any day.

RichB

RichB

OP, trust me, I am not like the others...

Get an HA-1 I'll help you configure it. :D

- Rich

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
DIY may not sound better, but it can have better build quality...
So, spend $800 on an AVR that will be obsolete in 6-7 years?
Why would the Denon X4000 be obsolete in 7 years?

I have never had an AVR (bought new) that has died on me yet. My brother still uses my very old HK and Denon AVRs that I gave him years ago.

All that time and energy? No, I would rather spend all that time with my wife & kids watching the movies and TV shows.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Just about any AVR is obsolete in 7 years or so.

New codecs, new connections (HDMI variations most recently), whatever replaces 4K. New security "features". The average lifetime of an AVR is probly 5 years for most AH'rs.

Compare that to a great 2 or 2.1 channel analog pre-amp. That will NEVER be obsolete (or it is a moot point because it is already obsolete, depending on your viewpoint :D)

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
I just looked at the P5 data sheet on the Parasound website. It indicates "motorized Alps pot", but no model number.

But, this makes me curious: Does the problem happen when you adjust volume with the remote? Does it also happen when you adjust the volume manually at the knob on the P5? Those questions could provide some insight to the root cause.
As far as I know only when I use the remote. I will check it out tomorrow and see. I almost always use the remote. I'll update as soon as I can.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
See, everyone should just buy either an AVR or a pre-pro. :D
I think you can, and have already convinced some on this forum but there is no hope to convince everyone or even the majority. As far as I know you have the fully differential AVP and fully differential ATI amps plus the best "affordable" speakers and don't seem to hear much better sound than your AVRs yet you can't even convince a single person that differential is overrated let alone the perceived much larger gap between a good AVR and an good pair of separate prepro/amp.:D On the serious side, I always have doubt about the lower priced fully differential amps because I know you get what you paid for; and therefore am concerned about the negative effects from slight mismatch of components (even when new) inherent with that design.

RichB

RichB

A great DAC and 2-channel preamp serves the needs for the OP 2-channel system.
I think many underestimate the impact of digital stream handling. A noisy environment produces changes to the analog output that are both measureable and observable.

The Parasound P5 is a nice product, but if you don't need a phone input and bass management the HA-1 bests it in every way with a small price premium and 30-day trial.

Concerning balanced connections, common noise reduction, locking cables, produce a lower noise floor with some amplifiers, and are inexpensive. A no-brainer, when available.

- Rich

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
I have a P3 and it is dead quiet in every way. I really wanted a P5 but could not scrounge up the cash after the speaker purchase. I listen at low volumes and very close to the speakers so I can hear any hiss or distortion. I wonder what the P3 uses for a volume pot.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
As far as I know only when I use the remote. I will check it out tomorrow and see. I almost always use the remote. I'll update as soon as I can.
Well, if it ONLY happens when using the remote, then I would suspect some interference, probably from the motor itself. If that is the case.....we may be looking at a design flaw on the pot, or a cheap knockoff pot.

Did they give you a new/different P5 after the first time? Or is this the same unit?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis