polk audio lsi25 issues

B

bobberino365

Audiophyte
I just recently bought a set of polk lsi25 speakers (got them for $100 for the pair) but one of the is tripping my amp into protection mode. I tried it with the cross over disconnected and same thing happens. also i can hardly hear anything out of it compared to my klipsch speakers.

The amp works perfect with my klipsch book shelf speakers. I can crank them to the max with no issues.

Im running a sony strdh 750 amp.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I just recently bought a set of polk lsi25 speakers (got them for $100 for the pair) but one of the is tripping my amp into protection mode. I tried it with the cross over disconnected and same thing happens. also i can hardly hear anything out of it compared to my klipsch speakers.

The amp works perfect with my klipsch book shelf speakers. I can crank them to the max with no issues.

Im running a sony strdh 750 amp.
I don't think that Sony receiver will drive those speakers. But check you have no shorts or whiskers on the wiring.

According to Polk this is what is required to drive them: -

"4-ohm impedance; these speakers must be powered using high-current amplification."

Your Sony does not fit that description.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Is there anything i can do to change it?
How did you come by the speakers? Did you by them new or used?

It is possible if you bought them used they have been abused and damaged. If the speakers are as designed, then you need a four ohm capable receiver.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
That's a good price, but that's probably why they were that price. Sounds like one or more of the drivers is fried. The good news is, you should be able to replace the drivers through Polk. The tweeter in those is quite fragile and a lot of people try to drive them with receivers like that Sony and end up frying them. The whole LSI line were 4 Ohm and you need a pretty decent amp to drive them properly. Contact Polk and see about replacement drivers.

When you say you "disconnected the crossover" I presume you mean you disconnected the jumper on the back? You tried both sets of posts?

L

Lee Bishop

Audiophyte
I also have the LSi25 speakers. I was using just my Marantz SR7010 (140wpc x 2 into 8ohm) to push them. I thought at my age I would be happy with that small amount of power. Like i said 140wpc is great into 2 speakers but when devided into the 5 channels of a surround, it is only like 60wpc, and that's not good for me or speakers that love power. I was using the Marantz in 2 channel mode they did very good but after a few uses in 5 channel mode my receiver would go into safety mode. I tried everything with the help from Marantz and Polk. Then I finally talked to the right person and he knew what I had suspected all along. I was not giving the Polks what they crave, POWER, and a lot of it. I had smoked the crossover in the left speaker. He sent me both sides and explained that he guaranteed that the right one was getting ready to go out because both sides had been starved of power. I didn't believe him but it went out within a week..lol. Anyhow to make this long response a little longer, I replaced both crossovers but at the same time I purchased a new Emotiva XPA3 that pushes 275wpc into 8ohms and 375wpc into 4ohms. These speakers are now some of the best sounding speakers I have ever owned and I have owned several nice speakers in my 37 years of buying and selling audio equipment. I hope this helps.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis