RBH Sound Owner's Thread

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
You could experiment with the XO settings. But my intuition tells me you'll still be getting double bass (SX-6300/R + Rythmik), which would give you MORE bass even if you set the XO to 200Hz.
I'll try it when the P5 gets back from Parasound. Thanks

walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
I do have to make it point to audition the RBH you own, they must be different then the ones I have listened to. Most of my family members have the in walls, since they get 80% off retail, to them it's a good deal. I don't own them even at that price. What wonders me is "what are you hearing"?? Are they that good compared to their in walls? Because their in walls really suck. But then again I can hear a major difference in SQ between my Krell Processor and my B&k Ref 50 S2. I think something is wrong with my hearing, should get it checked. All power amps and processors are created equally, aren't they when it comes to SQ.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I do have to make it point to audition the RBH you own, they must be different then the ones I have listened to. Most of my family members have the in walls, since they get 80% off retail, to them it's a good deal. I don't own them even at that price. What wonders me is "what are you hearing"?? Are they that good compared to their in walls? Because their in walls really suck. But then again I can hear a major difference in SQ between my Krell Processor and my B&k Ref 50 S2. I think something is wrong with my hearing, should get it checked. All power amps and processors are created equally, aren't they when it comes to SQ.
I think it's safe to say that great amps, processors, and speakers sound great to those who love their sound. ;)

It is also safe to say that many audiophiles don't seem to like ANY in-wall speakers regardless of brand; they view in-walls as a compromise. :)

walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
I think it's safe to say that great amps, processors, and speakers sound great to those who love their sound. ;)

It is also safe to say that many audiophiles don't seem to like ANY in-wall speakers regardless of brand; they view in-walls as a compromise. :)
It's kind of early and I just got to work. I am not trying to trash RBH at all. From the speaker collection that you've owned or still own I just can't imagine that these are better sounding. You have a collection of word class speakers. The only ones I have had experience with out of your collection are the Salons and the Phil 3's and I think they are both are fantastic speakers. Best bang for the buck to me are the Phil 3's. I think the Phil 3's are a better sounding speaker then the 15k towers that I own now. Like I said in my last post, I will make it a point to audition them, because you got me going now.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
It's kind of early and I just got to work. I am not trying to trash RBH at all. From the speaker collection that you've owned or still own I just can't imagine that these are better sounding. You have a collection of word class speakers. The only ones I have had experience with out of your collection are the Salons and the Phil 3's and I think they are both are fantastic speakers. Best bang for the buck to me are the Phil 3's. I think the Phil 3's are a better sounding speaker then the 15k towers that I own now. Like I said in my last post, I will make it a point to audition them, because you got me going now.
It never crossed my mind that you were dissing RBH. :) And you were talking about in-wall speakers, which is not the same.

It was never about selling inferior components and buying superior components to me.

It's really all about preference and suiting the audiophile's need or application. ;)

M

MidnightSensi2

Audioholic Chief
How do you even know where to start looking with this many options lol:
RBH Site Map

I can't believe the shear NUMBER of models they have. They make everything one off after each order something?

M

MidnightSensi2

Audioholic Chief
How do you even know where to start looking with this many options lol:
RBH Site Map

I can't believe the shear NUMBER of models they have. They make everything one off after each order something?

It never crossed my mind that you were dissing RBH. :) And you were talking about in-wall speakers, which is not the same.

It was never about selling inferior components and buying superior components to me.

It's really all about preference and suiting the audiophile's need or application. ;)
Also those previous speakers didn't have the dynamic range these likely have. I mean, home theater at reference levels requires you move a lot of air. ;)

Some studios use in-walls. There are actually some advantages to in-walls if they are done correctly.

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
I think the Phil 3's are a better sounding speaker then the 15k towers that I own now.
Shut up! Here I am thinking it would take > $5k/each for a significant improvement over my $1k towers. I'm not willing to spend that much, so I'm satisfied with what I have. Now you go and say something like this. You stink. ;)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Shut up! Here I am thinking it would take > $5k/each for a significant improvement over my $1k towers. I'm not willing to spend that much, so I'm satisfied with what I have. Now you go and say something like this. You stink. ;)
I recently sold my Phil3 to someone for $2300 shipped. I didn't get too many offers for them even at that price.

But I sure got many offers for my B&W 802D2, Revel Salon2, & KEF 201/2 that were listed much higher. :D

That just means everyone has a different opinion or need/application. Again, the reason I sold my Phil3 is the same reason I sold any speaker - they didn't suit my need or application.

Last edited:
M

MidnightSensi2

Audioholic Chief
Is there a price list for RBH somewhere?

I recently sold my Phil3 to someone for $2300 shipped. I didn't get too many offers for them even at that price.

But I sure got many offers for my B&W 802D2, Revel Salon2, & KEF 201/2 that were listed much higher. :D
It's the brand names. The Phil3 is known in the niche audio world as being a kickass speaker, but, not beyond that.

How'd the KEF 201/2 compare to the Phil3?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Also those previous speakers didn't have the dynamic range these likely have. I mean, home theater at reference levels requires you move a lot of air. ;)

Some studios use in-walls. There are actually some advantages to in-walls if they are done correctly.
Yeah, I doubt most in-walls could match the dynamics of the SX-T2, SX-8300, or SX-6300.

I've heard Revel and KEF in-walls at dealers. They sound good, but I thought the NHT SuperZero bookshelf sounded better.

I never owned in-wall speakers.

I do own four in-wall Velodyne 10" subs. In terms of sound quality, they are not even in the same ballpark as the RBH 1010 or Funk subs. But they serve their purpose well enough just like most in-wall speakers. :D

So my opinion of in-wall speakers and subs in general is probably much like Walter and most audiophiles. If I built a custom home, I would use in-walls for my family room and other rooms. But I would use the big 61" RBH SX-T2P/R towers for my PERSONAL HT room. :D

walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
For the money I think the Phil's sound great. They can't take the power or put out the SPL mine do, but other than that, not a bad speaker at all. Mine do take the paint off the wall and pop sheet rock screws, but that's what I get off on.

walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
Yeah, I doubt most in-walls could match the dynamics of the SX-T2, SX-8300, or SX-6300.

I've heard Revel and KEF in-walls at dealers. They sound good, but I thought the NHT SuperZero bookshelf sounded better.

I do own four in-wall Velodyne 10" subs. In terms of sound quality, they are not even in the same ballpark as the RBH 1010 or Funk subs. But they serve their purpose well enough just like most in-wall speakers. :D

So my opinion of in-wall speakers and subs in general is probably much like Walter and most audiophiles. If I built a custom home, I would use in-walls for my family room and other rooms. But I would use the big 61" RBH SX-T2P/R towers for my PERSONAL HT room. :D
There are in-walls and there are these http://www.cinepro.com/BFM_9-18-10_BLK.pdf

M

MidnightSensi2

Audioholic Chief

Nod, I just mean inwalls aren't inherently flawed. Lots of music is mastered using them.
Biggie that comes to mind is Genelec: Genelec 1036A - Extremely Powerful Monitor System for Large Rooms

More info:
Is flush-mounting monitors a good idea?

Big Dynaudios and JBL Pros also get flush mounted/in-wall a lot.

There are good speaker designs in all kinds of forms, its generally better to stick to specific examples rather than absolutes since there is such a variety of quality in enclosure and application designs.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
How'd the KEF 201/2 compare to the Phil3?
They are both accurate speakers that sound great.

If people ask me whether the RAAL tweeter makes the Phil3 sound better, then my answer is, "No, it does not - I don't hear any more "air" or "detail".

But I don't blame people for being over zealous with their new toys. The grass is often greener on the other side, and most newer things are often perceived with more enthusiasm. :D

walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
They are both accurate speakers that sound great.

If people ask me whether the RAAL tweeter makes the Phil3 sound better, then my answer is, "No, it does not - I don't hear any more "air" or "detail".

But I don't blame people for being over zealous with their new toys. The grass is often greener on the other side, and most newer things are often perceived with more enthusiasm. :D
I am not saying that my speakers don't sound good, they do, it just seems to me that the Phil's are a little more accurate at lower levels. Also I have to take into consideration that Alex was driving the Phil's with a Threshold amp which I think when it comes to SQ is a better amp then the Cinepro. Seems to me you and I do like high SPL's and still an accurate sound.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I am not saying that my speakers don't sound good, they do, it just seems to me that the Phil's are a little more accurate at lower levels. Also I have to take into consideration that Alex was driving the Phil's with a Threshold amp which I think when it comes to SQ is a better amp then the Cinepro. Seems to me you and I do like high SPL's and still an accurate sound.
I think you and I should go halvsies on a pair of Status 8T's. Put this whole RBH stuff to rest once and for all :p

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
I've heard these BG Radia R-800 In-Wall Speakers | Sound & Vision and they were incredible. Also the 550s for HT. Traid also makes some excellent in walls.
I have to agree with you on the sound of BG Radia speakers. We had a dedicated HT room with all BG Radia speakers including electronics. Surrounds, Arrays', ceilings and the BGX-4850 sub system all inwall. All speakers were built in large wall enclosures. The sound was pretty darn good.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis