What New Stuff Have You Bought? If You Care To Share Thead! :)

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
Found a Polk sound bar with wireless woofer on craigslist for $100.

My parents had a Philips sound bar that died a month or so after the warranty ran out, so I figure this'll make a pretty decent father's day gift for dad.

Edit: I've got my mobile phone plugged into it right now, giving it a test drive.

Pros:

* It's not fried. That automatically makes it better than the Philips. :)
* The bar itself has an IR learning function, which is neat. Rather than making the remote control learn to understand the speaker bar, I can make the speaker bar learn to understand their DirecTV remote. Cool. That should make it parent-friendly.
* For a self-powered speaker bar it has decent power -- 50Wx2 for the bar, 80W for the woofer RMS.
* The woofer is wireless. It didn't need to be, but it is. I'm looking forward to trying the subwoofer crawl with it. It'll probably end up going in the corner directly behind the TV anyway, but it's nice to know that I could move it to a more responsive spot if I needed to.

Cons:

* The speaker bar sounds a little like someone's singing to me through a Solo cup. Plastic enclosure? Mids crossed over too high? All of the above? I think my Quarts have me spoiled. At least it's better than TV speakers, in any case.
* Inputs are optical and 3.5mm only -- no HDMI, coax or RCA. I'll have to stuff a bunch of random wires in a bag and take them to make sure I'm able to connect it to their TV.

Well, hopefully it'll be less likely to let the magic smoke out than the Philips. That's my primary goal. I think once I get it in their house and get the woofer corner loaded, it ought to sound worth $100 at least.

Last edited:
macddmac

macddmac

Audioholic General
Just ordered...
Tried to order the other night after seeing him on the tonight show- wouldn't go into shopping cart- cool vinyl with the multi speed, track imbedded into the label, one side playing inside to out thing
cheers, Mac

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Just ordered...
Yup, got mine on Tuesday from Amazon.
This one is going straight into the collection, UNOPENED. I may buy a 2nd one to actually listen to.

It's such an oddball record that I'm hoping the price goes up, especially for the 1st pressing. If not, then it was only a $25 gamble. I do have many records that I bought during the late 1990s that have since doubled in price.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Yup, got mine on Tuesday from Amazon.
This one is going straight into the collection, UNOPENED. I may buy a 2nd one to actually listen to.

It's such an oddball record that I'm hoping the price goes up, especially for the 1st pressing. If not, then it was only a $25 gamble. I do have many records that I bought during the late 1990s that have since doubled in price.
Yeah I saw the Vinyl, but it's too expensive for me. Now if it were $15 then I might bite.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
And what do they really do?
Those are touch-screen stylus pens. They're just for selecting items on a screen, which can help with precision and also for not getting fingerprints all over the screen (e.g. on a tablet or smart phone).

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Those are touch-screen stylus pens. They're just for selecting items on a screen, which can help with precision and also for not getting fingerprints all over the screen (e.g. on a tablet or smart phone).
Interesting - thank you.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Congrats Man! Pics expected when setup.:D How are the Mee earphones you got?

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
I have a pair of Dali Helicon 300 mk2's in my office right now. To say they are an upgrade over the behringer b2031 that I have been using is the biggest understatement of the year. Of course the cost of the 2031's was around $250 compared to the Dali's which run around $2500. I helped a guy I work with buy these a few years back. He liked them so much he went and bought the towers and boxed these up. The other day he asked if I would like to "borrow" them for a while to use in my office. It was a good move on his part. I don't think I will be able to let these go.

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
Here's some more eye candy... Unboxing pics.

Nicely double boxed,

Even the power cable and rubber feet are boxed!

Thanks to the superlative boxing, the subs arrived without a blemish,

A close up of the Matt Satin finish,

The old guard is looking worried and rightfully so,

Out with the old faithful and in with the new,

The new kids in their final locations,

I did a one point Audyssey run to get the first sub playing and it is like chalk and cheese. These babies are awesome! Can't wait for the Sierra-2's to arrive so that I can spend this weekend dialing in everything and writing a mega review.

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
How are the Mee earphones you got?
I'm in the process of putting my thoughts together. I'll post a review before this weekend. I had wanted to do it before my travels but, that thought got de-prioritized very quickly. On the positive side, I got to use the Mee's a lot and even managed to A-B them against my old Etymotic Research ER6i.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis