Really Boring Stuff Only III: Resurrection

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
Feels too quiet these days. Alex is MIA, Rick & Doug haven't been posting much lately, even Bryce is leaving us...
I emailed Alex a few weeks ago. He's doing well.
We went to Florida for a vacation and saw Majorloser and his lovely wife. They took us to a rocket launch and a private tour of the East coast of FL.
Doug has started his hormone treatments.:D

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I've been so busy the last few weeks, that I haven't had time to stop by. Anything new going on?

One of the things keeping me busy has been my wife's laptop. My daughter knocked it on the floor one too many times and one of the hinges and the screen bezel & cover broke. It's about 4 years old and not worth the expense to repair. So, I just bought her a new one. The hard drive in the old computer is still fine, so I picked up an external hard drive enclosure and installed the old hard drive in it. I was quite proud of my new-found geek skills, as the new laptop recognized the hard drive when I plugged it in. However, I couldn't open any of the folders on it. I think it has something to do with administrative access. I guess it's a case of one computer trying to access the hard drive of another computer. The folders on it were renamed with lengthy combinations of letters & numbers that I didn't recognize.

Anyway, we backed up all of the files & folders on a separate external hard drive, so I'm not concerned about losing data. Should I just reformat the old hard drive? It's 500GB, so I'd like to have that capacity available. If I reformat, I won't render it unusable, will I?
I think knocking the old laptop on floor might have corrupted the file system on the drive, that is why you see gabled folders. If it was permissions issues - you'd still see the names, but wont be able to open them. I done it before. Also could be old laptop had file system encryption going on.

In ether case you should re-format it. And no - if the drive is healthy it should not damage it in any way.
To check hd health I usually use free program - SpeedFan - check for S.M.A.R.T tab and select old drive

p.s: I am very proud of your new geek skillz :)

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Capital Audiofest. I really want to focus on some of the high end speaker wires, interconnects, and power chords this year. And the bar...
I expect a full report, especially on dancable and cryo-frozen power cords

p.s:
Power cHord:

Power cord:

majorloser

majorloser

We went to Florida for a vacation and saw Majorloser and his lovely wife. They took us to a rocket launch and a private tour of the East coast of FL.
Doug has started his hormone treatments.:D
You know Doug didn't want that made public till after he get the boob job.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Oh Steveeeeeee, for why is the $4000 stereo system thread locked?

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Didn't publish properly for some reason. Looks like Gene went w/ a preview for Reaction Audio instead.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Didn't publish properly for some reason. Looks like Gene went w/ a preview for Reaction Audio instead.
Hmm, I see that. Those Reaction Audio subs look pretty cool. Even so, they ain't got nothin' on my Baby DO :D. Plus mine's smaller.........who woulda thought I'd ever say that with pride? :eek:

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
You know Doug didn't want that made public till after he get the boob job.
Oh, noooo. :eek: Dude...he already HAD the work done last time you saw him. Geesh, he's going to be crying for days.

It's okay, Doug. They're fine the way they are. Heck, be proud that they're so small. Ask Fuzz...

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Part of me is glad that he's doing well.

The other part of me felt better thinking that maybe he had a good excuse for not posting. You know, like being in a coma.

:D

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Went to the gym this morning and now I'm gonna hop in the shower and take an hour and a half ride. Why you ask? To see Godzilla in IMAX of course. Even in an IMAX you'll be able to pick me out because I'll be the guy yelling for them to turn it up :D

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I got a Moen faucet delivered on Wednesday, and when I opened the box that night when I got home, I saw that it has been scratched up during shipping. The pullout plastic handle was a cosmetic lost cause as it was really badly scratched (it had come out of it's protective bubble wrap), and even the metal main body had some scuffs on it that I couldn't get out. I contacted Moen, explained that I had gotten for free from Vine and would understand if it wasn't covered, and sent a couple of photos of the hardware. After a previous experience with them, I thought that they'd send me a new handle. It's fairly inexpensive, and this one was badly damaged. The main body was scuffed, but not horribly badly. Once again, they amazed me. Within two hours (just like last time), I got an e-mail that they had processed my order - for a whole new faucet! That, and they sent it overnight, so it should get here today!

Just amazing to me to see that kind of service, and to have it happen twice in a row. I like their products, and I really appreciate their service. I almost can't believe that they'd send a whole new product with next day delivery to me. Just awesome.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
I think knocking the old laptop on floor might have corrupted the file system on the drive, that is why you see gabled folders. If it was permissions issues - you'd still see the names, but wont be able to open them. I done it before. Also could be old laptop had file system encryption going on.

In ether case you should re-format it. And no - if the drive is healthy it should not damage it in any way.
To check hd health I usually use free program - SpeedFan - check for S.M.A.R.T tab and select old drive

p.s: I am very proud of your new geek skillz :)
I figured it out! Welllll, not really. I stopped by the shop where I bought the laptop and the external hard drive enclosure. The lady I dealt with is very helpful - that's the thing about small independents: customer service. Anyway, she understood what I was trying to describe in my luddite terms and pointed me to a few websites that gave step-by-step instructions on taking ownership of the folders, which allowed me to open them. So, now my wife has another 500GB hard drive to save bazillions of photos on.:rolleyes: Remember back in the days of film cameras, when many people would take several shots of the same scenery/people, just to be sure that at least one of them would turn out? Well, she still does that. She won't delete the bad shots before she downloads. It's ridiculous...

Anyway, I'm also quite proud of my new-found geek-ness.:p I think I'll wrap a bit of tape around the arm of my reading glasses and get a pocket-protector full of multi-coloured pens.:D

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
This IMAX is a lot different than I remember and is definitely different than the other one that is fairly close to me. Curiously, there are no visible side surround speakers. Only rear surrounds. Interesting.

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
Feels too quiet these days. Alex is MIA, Rick & Doug haven't been posting much lately,
even Bryce is leaving us...
I missed the part about Bryce.
My understanding is that he's busy traveling the Australian Spelling Bee circuit.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis