$10,000 Two Channel Recommended System

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Are you an audiophile? Do you happen to have $10,000 laying around? Do you need a new two channel system? Even if you answered no to any of these questions, you'll want to check out our equipment choices for building a top of the line stereo system in the $10,000 price class. With a focus on achieving exceptional performance without sacrificing good looks, this is a system both you and your interior decorator can appreciate.

Read our $10k Recommended Two-Channel Stereo System Guide

Do you own any of this equipment? Share your experiences.

Last edited by a moderator:
BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I don't want to comment on equipment choices in the article, however this how I would spend 10k on stereo system if I had such money to "invest":

Salk SoundScape 8 - $8k
Onkyo A9070 Stereo Integrated Amplifier - around $1k
Oppo BDP-105 around $1k

(I do know last two retail prices are 1.2k each, but who pays retail?! :) )

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
The Salks are nice speakers to be sure. In fact aesthetically they kill the Kef and RBH products.

However I'm quite partial to the Scan Speak 9500 tweeter used in the RBH's and the dual mids of the MTM. Such a huge open soundstage with unlimited dynamics.

I'd much prefer the Emotiva separates over the Onkyo you recommended.

The OPPO Bdp-105 is a great option but it's assumed there won't be a tv in this system. Still I think its a great alternative option and will ask Steve M to add it. Thx.

P

Plexmulti9

Junior Audioholic
I have to totally disagree with the choice of the KEF R700. In the photo below you will see several pair of different speakers we just did in a shootout for a client who flew in from California (from another forum). In the picture are the following speakers & electronics....

Revel M105
Phase Technology PC 0.5
Induction Dynamics S1.8
KEF R700
BG Radia SA-360 (In-wall & Installed in the cabinet)
Phase Technology dARTS System (behind the AT screen)
James Loudspeaker 63SA-7 (the little silver boxed speakers with a 3" opening meant to go in-ceiling)
RBH SX-10 Subwoofer (used only with the bookshelf & in-ceiling models)

Electronics:
Sonos
Parasound New Classic Model 2250 v.2
Yamaha BD-A1020 BluRay/CD player

Both myself, the visiting client, and (after the client left) 3 of our installers all listened to a wide variety of music.

Low end extension aside, guess which one came in BY FAR dead last in terms of tonality, life-like presentation of sound, versatility on the types of music it played well, detail, and just about any other way I can describe quality of sound..... The KEF R700. It wasn't even close.

I could see how someone might like this speaker if they value a cold sound, manufactured sound. The R700 sounds as if it were built by people who look at technical data all day rather than actually listen to music.

Because we have them come in and out of our design center all the time I can absolutely vouch for the quality of the RBH SX-8300/R & the SX-6300/R. I would say those absolutely belong on a short list of speakers between $3-6K.

PS: Before anyone gets all worked up: I'm not biased as we're dealers of all of these brands. And, NO, I did not leave them in those positions as we were demoing. We moved them around, on stands, etc. accordingly. :)

photo1 (1).jpg

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I have to totally disagree with the choice of the KEF R700. In the photo below you will see several pair of different speakers we just did in a shootout for a client who flew in from California (from another forum). In the picture are the following speakers & electronics....

Revel M105
Phase Technology PC 0.5
Induction Dynamics S1.8
KEF R700
James Loudspeaker 63SA-7 (the little silver boxed speakers with a 3" opening meant to go in-ceiling)

Electronics:
Sonos

Both myself, the visiting client, and (after the client left) 3 of our installers all listened to a wide variety of music.

Low end extension aside, guess which one came in BY FAR dead last in terms of tonality, life-like presentation of sound, versatility on the types of music it played well, detail, and just about any other way I can describe quality of sound..... The KEF R700. It wasn't even close.

I could see how someone might like this speaker if they value a cold sound, manufactured sound. The R700 sounds as if it were built by people who look at technical data all day rather than actually listen to music.

Because we have them come in and out of our design center all the time I can absolutely vouch for the quality of the RBH SX-8300/R & the SX-6300/R. I would say those absolutely belong on a short list of speakers between $3-6K.

PS: Before anyone gets all worked up: I'm not biased as we're dealers of all of these brands. And, NO, I did not leave them in those positions as we were demoing. We moved them around, on stands, etc. accordingly. :)

View attachment 13538
So, if the R700 was hands-down the worst, which was the best?

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
The Salks are nice speakers to be sure. In fact aesthetically they kill the Kef and RBH products.

However I'm quite partial to the Scan Speak 9500 tweeter used in the RBH's and the dual mids of the MTM. Such a huge open soundstage with unlimited dynamics.

I'd much prefer the Emotiva separates over the Onkyo you recommended.

The OPPO Bdp-105 is a great option but it's assumed there won't be a tv in this system. Still I think its a great alternative option and will ask Steve M to add it. Thx.
Despise auditioning 100k Wilsons Audio and 24k B&W 800 Diamonds, nothing captured my ear as much as SS8's did on AH GTG '12. Their sound was breathtaking and absolutely amazing.

How KEF and RBH stack against SS8s - I don't know :(

BDP105 was chosen as one of the better CD/SACD/DVD-A optical transports I know of and it has a reference level dac as well. Not selected for BD capabilities.

I know many would be upset to see Onkyo in this list, but I challenge you to find as capable int amp from D&M or Yamaha.
It was not made at same level as lower series Onkyo AVRs so I don't expect same QA issues with it on the long run.

Nothing wrong with swapping Onkyo for Emotiva separates, but added cost. In addition several Emotiva products were mentioned on these forums one time too many in the less than positive light and I would personally shy away from. YMMV

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Nothing wrong with swapping Onkyo for Emotiva separates, but added cost. In addition several Emotiva products were mentioned on these forums one time too many in the less than positive light and I would personally shy away from. YMMV
Shy away from Emotiva, but cozy up next to Onkyo! :eek::D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
For me, probably 2 RBH SX-T2 + Denon X4000 + AT2004 + iPad to stream the music to the Denon. :D

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Shy away from Emotiva, but cozy up next to Onkyo! :eek::D
Hey My TX-SR805 is still going strong, plus of couse the extra benefit of additional home heating - it's very handly and cozy in these long north-eastern winters like last one

P

Plexmulti9

Junior Audioholic
So, if the R700 was hands-down the worst, which was the best?
The BG SA-360 In-walls and the Induction Dynamics S1.8 were the top performers.

Ranking them I would go:

ID S1.8/BG SA-360
Phase Tech PC 0.5/RevelM105/James 63SA-7 (These definitely sound different from one another, but it would come down to what the listener valued). To me, the PC 0.5 are the clear winner between the 3, but they are all good for different reasons. One thing really interesting is that the James speaker sounded great, but it is meant for in-ceiling duty and only has a 3" opening to play through. It throws out a very large, detailed sound for such a small enclosure and opening and that's very impressive, but clearly different from traditional bookshelves.
R700

Last edited:
S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
There is a ton of great setups you could do for $10k. I like the inclusion of two subs for a two channel system, that should be a more common. The systems listed are all very high on the WAF. If you didn't have to deal with WAF at all, just get a pair of JTR Noesis 215s; absolutely endless dynamic range and absolutely no need for a subwoofer. They do not need heavy duty amplification either. If you don't need infinite dynamic range and want something that looks a bit less intimidating, check out a pair of Soundfield Audio VSFT-3s. You won't really need a sub with those, because they have two powered subs in them each.

If it were me, I might go for something like a couple JBL 6332s and maybe a couple Funk 18.0s or a bunch of Hsu ULS-15s. I would take the rest of the money and buy an old workhorse of a receiver and something to EQ the subs. Tons of dynamic range, extreme neutrality, very sharp sound quality. Bring on the tunes!

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator

Revel M105
Phase Technology PC 0.5
Induction Dynamics S1.8
KEF R700

Electronics:
Sonos

View attachment 13538
Thanks for the insights. Not everyone is going to agree on choices. We put these systems together based on personal experience, reviews and ease of availability to our readers. They are not a biblical source. Personally the Kef 700s weren't my top choice speaker in this price range but some of our staff really took a liking to them. This is why my RBH alternative was added. As you found, very few speakers can compete with the RBH's at their price point. In any event, feel free to pick your favorites and go with that. The Salk SS8s were also a nice sounding speaker and some may ultimately chose those and spend less on the electronics to get there.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Despise auditioning 100k Wilsons Audio and 24k B&W 800 Diamonds, nothing captured my ear as much as SS8's did on AH GTG '12. Their sound was breathtaking and absolutely amazing.

How KEF and RBH stack against SS8s - I don't know :(

BDP105 was chosen as one of the better CD/SACD/DVD-A optical transports I know of and it has a reference level dac as well. Not selected for BD capabilities.

I know many would be upset to see Onkyo in this list, but I challenge you to find as capable int amp from D&M or Yamaha.
It was not made at same level as lower series Onkyo AVRs so I don't expect same QA issues with it on the long run.

That's awesome. I didn't quite feel that with the SS8s but i really enjoyed the little prototype bookshelf speakers Jim brought. We will one day have to formally review a pair of the SS8s and give them a second, closer look.

J

Josuah

Senior Audioholic
I haven't heard the KEF R700's but at that price point my favorite speakers are the Acoustic Zen Adagio Jr speakers. (Which is why I own them.) I agree with the Blue Jeans Cable recommendation and the Marantz player as a source, although I have different preferences for amplifier.

One change I might make is to pick a better APC power unit.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
i really enjoyed the little prototype bookshelf speakers Jim brought. We will one day have to formally review a pair of the SS8s and give them a second, closer look.
I do agree, these tiny prototype sounded much bigger than they had any right to, but still SS8's in a/b had a clear and very easily noticeable edge. The other towers Jim brought (I forgot which ones) we not bad at all, again ss8 we just a bit fuller and richer sound

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
I actually Demo'd the SX-8300/R this past Saturday (1 Hour drive) and have to say I was very impressed with the speakers and it is on my short list for my HT build. I still have time and do want to at least hear the Triton 1s and a few others before I make my final decision

Hookedonc4

Hookedonc4

Audioholic
The BG SA-360 In-walls and the Induction Dynamics S1.8 were the top performers.

Ranking them I would go:

ID S1.8/BG SA-360
Phase Tech PC 0.5/RevelM105/James 63SA-7 (These definitely sound different from one another, but it would come down to what the listener valued). To me, the PC 0.5 are the clear winner between the 3, but they are all good for different reasons. One thing really interesting is that the James speaker sounded great, but it is meant for in-ceiling duty and only has a 3" opening to play through. It throws out a very large, detailed sound for such a small enclosure and opening and that's very impressive, but clearly different from traditional bookshelves.
R700
Very interesting that the James 63SA-7 stood tall with the selected speakers and they are Inceiling/inwall with such a small foot print.

Good to know...

I have not listened to these but have a pair of S33 bookshelfs and they pack a punch for such a small speaker. Actually going to use them as surrounds with SPL39LCR when I get time to move them to our sitting room.

Great input on all post thanks everyone...

Last edited:
gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I don't want to comment on equipment choices in the article, however this how I would spend 10k on stereo system if I had such money to "invest":

Salk SoundScape 8 - $8k
Onkyo A9070 Stereo Integrated Amplifier - around $1k
Oppo BDP-105 around $1k

(I do know last two retail prices are 1.2k each, but who pays retail?! :) )
BTW this Onkyo looks pretty killer actually:
Reference Hi-Fi | Audiophile | Premium Sound | A-9070 | Onkyo USA

Too bad Onkyo completely ignores online AV sites as I am confident this would review and measure well. This looks nice and meaty like their old stuff.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
BTW this Onkyo looks pretty killer actually:
Reference Hi-Fi | Audiophile | Premium Sound | A-9070 | Onkyo USA

Too bad Onkyo completely ignores online AV sites as I am confident this would review and measure well. This looks nice and meaty like their old stuff.
Here's one online review, alas in German, but Google translate does pretty decent job - it's not exactly Goethe material :)

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=de&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http://www.areadvd.de/hardware/2012/onkyo_a9070_c7070.shtml&edit-text=

Found linky here:
Onkyo A-9070 review - AudioKarma.org Home Audio Stereo Discussion Forums

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis