Ordered a memory foam mattress on Amazon. We shall see

jinjuku

jinjuku

Just used prime to order a memory foam mattress with really good reviews.

Went to a few local stores where the sales people are all preconditioning you for what you will feel when you lay down. How about I lay down on the mattresses from $5999 to $1999 and when I get up I'll tell you how and what I felt. Honestly all of them did fine and the degree of separation didn't track with price.

So $429 for a mattress from Amazon with a something like a 45 day standard return policy (Amazon has a large item return department for items like this).

It will be interesting to compare this to a $2700 Tempur-pedic.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
I prefer latex, but I paid a heck of a lot more than $429 for the queen size I bought recently. I hope it works for you.

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
Good luck. I thought about buying that same mattress myself.

macddmac

macddmac

Audioholic General
I've had a sleep number bed for 12 years now.
It cost a bunch ( to me) but still sleeps great and customer service was fast when we had an issue with the foundation several years back.
Cheers, Mac

psbfan9

psbfan9

Audioholic Samurai
Congratulations! I'm currently looking for a mattress and have considered this one and the T&N. I'll be interested in hearing your thoughts on this mattress.

C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
There's a bit of controversy with those memory foam mattresses when it comes to having sex.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I hope this one isn't the same one we bought, because that's the same price we paid for ours. While the foam is extremely comfortable, the foam did not last. One layer compressed and then the whole thing was no longer comfortable. We went with a firm pillow top this time and I really love it, but it gives up one big benefit of foam - you don't disturb the other person when you come to bed after or get up before them. We switched to a different, thinner base pad and that seems to have helped, but it is more firm now.

That isolated feel is great for most things...

There's a bit of controversy with those memory foam mattresses when it comes to having sex.
Yes, this would be the one major drawback to them IMO. There's no controversy IMO, the foam can be a hindrance for sure.

jinjuku

jinjuku

I hope this one isn't the same one we bought, because that's the same price we paid for ours. While the foam is extremely comfortable, the foam did not last.
I'd rather spend $429 every 3-4 years than $3K every 8.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I'd rather spend $429 every 3-4 years than $3K every 8.
Agreed on that one and not to mention I don't like the foam enough to think that I'd even want to spend $3K on one. My Sealy was only $1500, I sleep better on it, and it has a 20 year warranty. My parents have a posturepedic and they seem to like it and it has lasted about 5-6 years so far.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
You get a chance to test the mattress yet?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk

jinjuku

jinjuku

Just got it in today. They must have a shop vac the size of a mini-van to get all the air out. You open the bag it's packed in just started sucking in air. Trippy.

I have it laid out (they suggest 24-48 hours) and it's already flattened out. I spent two hours laying on beds at various mattress stores on Sunday. Laid on this one and honestly there is not much difference (this is a tad bit softer IMO). Certainly not $2500 difference vs my preferred bed at the stores.

Now it's onto longevity. I'll post a pic if anyone is curious.

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
Just got it in today. They must have a shop vac the size of a mini-van to get all the air out. You open the bag it's packed in just started sucking in air. Trippy.

I have it laid out (they suggest 24-48 hours) and it's already flattened out. I spent two hours laying on beds at various mattress stores on Sunday. Laid on this one and honestly there is not much difference (this is a tad bit softer IMO). Certainly not $2500 difference vs my preferred bed at the stores.

Now it's onto longevity. I'll post a pic if anyone is curious.
We got rid of our last coil spring mattress two years ago.
Got this from Costco; Novaform 14" Gel Memory Foam Mattress
Love it so far.
As for longevity. I spin mine 90 degrees once a week. Just so it doesn't develop a low spot. (It's a king sand almost square) Can't be flipped since it's single sided.

jinjuku

jinjuku

We got rid of our last coil spring mattress two years ago.
Got this from Costco; Novaform 14" Gel Memory Foam Mattress
Love it so far.
As for longevity. I spin mine 90 degrees once a week. Just so it doesn't develop a low spot. (It's a king sand almost square) Can't be flipped since it's single sided.
The Novaform is a rebadge from the company I picked mine up from. It's a slightly custom 14" version. It was on special for $499 at Costco (after $100 rebate).

psbfan9

psbfan9

Audioholic Samurai
I'll post a pic if anyone is curious.
I'm interested. Still looking for a new mattress.

Rick, is this recommended by by Nova, or something you do because you feel it's necessary?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Rick, is this recommended by by Nova, or something you do because you feel it's necessary?
I didn't flip mine that often, but yes, it is a good idea with any mattress. Not necessarily weekly, but more often than not.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I didn't flip mine that often, but yes, it is a good idea with any mattress. Not necessarily weekly, but more often than not.
"any mattress" should be with asterisk
One should NOT flip spring&pillow top mattress

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis