Dual SVS SB 13 Ultras or Dual Powersound Audio XS30's????????

T

tigers69

Audiophyte
I would appreciate any opinions on which option to go for. Would the SVS or Powersound Audio would be superior for music specifically . I have Klipsch RF 7's powered by an Emotiva XPA 5 . My room is approx 4000 cubic feet with timber flooring. My trusty Velo HGS 18 has died and I need a replacement with the emphasis on blending in with my mains .I tend to push my gear rather hard but quality is more important to me than quantity of sound. I would be most grateful for any advice or experience with either option Movies are an afterthought for me .Thanks guys.

Matt34

Matt34

You can't really go wrong with either. If size or budget are of any concern the SVS are quite a bit smaller and the PSA a few hundred cheaper. PSAs might have the edge in output in that size of room.

T

tigers69

Audiophyte
Thanks for the reply Matt .The size is of no importance and todays discount may be tomorrows dissatisfaction . Its whats best for music that counts for me . I guess I am after a little more quality in the upper or mid bass to integrate with my Klipsch .After having the Velodyne 18 I want power but detail in bass solos rather than sounding awesome reproducing explosions on screen
Good on ya Matt

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
I would appreciate any opinions on which option to go for. Would the SVS or Powersound Audio would be superior for music specifically . I have Klipsch RF 7's powered by an Emotiva XPA 5 . My room is approx 4000 cubic feet with timber flooring. My trusty Velo HGS 18 has died and I need a replacement with the emphasis on blending in with my mains .I tend to push my gear rather hard but quality is more important to me than quantity of sound. I would be most grateful for any advice or experience with either option Movies are an afterthought for me .Thanks guys.
I really like the XS30 but if music was my primary focus I would certainly entertain dual SB13U in that size room. IMO...the SB13u is about as good as it gets in that respect. Btw...Don't those RF7s already come with dual 10" woofers....lol. The member who bought my old sub has them & I hope to one day soon give them a listen...I also know the XS30 are very nice sub and listening both in a 50/50 set up its harder to distinguish them apart on their own merit ...I give the edge to the SB13.

These are in my room currently!

A review buy somebody who has both> “The Tale of Two Subwoofers†- dsrussell’s Review of XS30

Last edited:
M

Muzykant

Audioholic
I have never heard the PSA subs personally, but the SB-13 sounds incredible when you listen to music. I have one and can't wish for a better sub for music. Jazz, classical, rock or electronica - no matter what you listen to it will put a smile on your face!

T

tigers69

Audiophyte
billy p and Muzykant thanks very much for your advice It means a great deal to me . It appears that dual SVS SB13's are going to be the way to go for me however I am open minded . Is there a method or device to calibrate which ever subs I settle on to achieve best results???

B

Basshead81

Audioholic
Yep I agree with Billy being he is not the only one that stated the SB13 was better for music. The XS30 seems to be favored more for a 50/50 mix or strictly HT.

theJman

theJman

Audioholic Chief
If music is a high priority you should also consider the Rythmik F15HP. With all the configuration options if can be set from over damped to under damped, and everything in between. Rythmik are renowned for their accuracy too, which is very beneficial for music reproduction.

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
If music is a high priority you should also consider the Rythmik F15HP. With all the configuration options if can be set from over damped to under damped, and everything in between. Rythmik are renowned for their accuracy too, which is very beneficial for music reproduction.
You have both....have you finished listening to both and taken notes...I've subscribed over at AVS...still waiting...;).

Having not heard any Rythmiks...I know many of the guys at the Ascend forum swear by them...I still think the SB13 would be on par musically and every bit as good as the E15 or F 15s....notwithstanding the added cost.

theJman

theJman

Audioholic Chief
You have both....have you finished listening to both and taken notes...I've subscribed over at AVS...still waiting...;).

Having not heard any Rythmiks...I know many of the guys at the Ascend forum swear by them...I still think the SB13 would be on par musically and every bit as good as the E15 or F 15s....notwithstanding the added cost.
I can't begin to tell you how many people have been contacting me about this comparison. That one post I made seems to live on in perpetuity... :)

I did actually push aside the other review units so I could focus on making the decision between the SB13U and E15HP. The SVS was hooked up for about two weeks - I just finished with it this morning - but then I had to catch a flight to Chicago for business. I'll be here all week, but when I get back the E15Hp will get hooked up. Barring any complications I should have everything all figured out before the end of this month.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I can't begin to tell you how many people have been contacting me about this comparison. That one post I made seems to live on in perpetuity... :)

I did actually push aside the other review units so I could focus on making the decision between the SB13U and E15HP. The SVS was hooked up for about two weeks - I just finished with it this morning - but then I had to catch a flight to Chicago for business. I'll be here all week, but when I get back the E15Hp will get hooked up. Barring any complications I should have everything all figured out before the end of this month.
I'm looking forward to your results. It would be nice to see Rythmik get the kudos they deserve.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Assuming I choose the Rythmik of course... ;)
Even if you do choose SVS, I'm betting that decision which is better will be a difficult one.... I wouldn't want to be in your shoes unless you get to keep one of them. :)

theJman

theJman

Audioholic Chief
Even if you do choose SVS, I'm betting that decision which is better will be a difficult one.... I wouldn't want to be in your shoes unless you get to keep one of them.
I could keep either of them actually; I own both. :)

I bought them last year with the intention of seeing which one would work better for me, but due to circumstances - a steady stream of review units and some complications in my personal life - I never really found the time to properly evaluate them. The one I opt not to keep will be sold though, so I'm only holding on to one.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I could keep either of them actually; I own both. :)

I bought them last year with the intention of seeing which one would work better for me, but due to circumstances - a steady stream of review units and some complications in my personal life - I never really found the time to properly evaluate them. The one I opt not to keep will be sold though, so I'm only holding on to one.
Any luck in finding time to conduct the test?

C

copmagnet82

Junior Audioholic
I can't compare the two subs, but I do have dual SB13-Ultra set-up in a room slightly larger then yours and when I hooked those up I could not believe what I was hearing. I've never heard anything sounding this clean and precise ...and it was all very effortless. The SB13 is an incredible sub for the size and price you pay, and they compliment my speakers so well, that it's actually really hard to describe it. In the end, no matter what you pick, I'm sure you'll be very happy with your purchase.

theJman

theJman

Audioholic Chief
Any luck in finding time to conduct the test?
AAMOF, I completed taking my notes last night. Now I have to put together a little write-up, and then I'll post it. Figure in a few more days.

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
There are lots of people keenly interested AVS Forum for sure on this one.
I most certainly am...the F15hp was very high on my wish list for some time. Even back when you were considering buying my Funk sub.

Of course...I eventually sold it and I decided on the PSA XS30. Having another sub like the SB13u on hand....has being great. I do give the overall SQ edge to the 13u....I've really enjoyed the XS30 and the effects of having both subs in room for movies has been awesome.

Music listening sessions....though...had varied results and why the edge to the 13U. In general they both fared very well with a wide variety of music. The SB13 though just seemed to have this uncanny ability to reproduce certain notes more accurately with no-overhang.

Unless, Jim's analysis puts the E15 head and shoulder above the SB13U(which I doubt...btw) this will leave me in a good place with my purchase. Knowing I've had a benchmark sub on hand for comparison for several months...tells me all I need to know about my purchase and why I'm a bit curious.

Bill...:)

Hah...wouldn't you know it...I just received an email from the sb13u owner (PBC)...I'll be returning his sub on Monday....its going to be a sad day. I might need to make it a movie extravaganza this one last weekend...:D.

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis