R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
Do you use Dolby Volume all the time? I use Dynamic EQ 100% of the time, so I am just wondering.
Yup, just the Modeler though not the Leveler. In Audyssey terms, Dynamic EQ, but no Dynamic Volume. Although, Anthem's implementation of Leveler is great as it allows you to set it from Off all the way to 10.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Yup, just the Modeler though not the Leveler. In Audyssey terms, Dynamic EQ, but no Dynamic Volume. Although, Anthem's implementation of Leveler is great as it allows you to set it from Off all the way to 10.
So the Modeler seems to significantly enhance or improve the bass?

That's pretty much what I think DEQ does for my bass. When I turn off DEQ, the bass seems flat and less musical, less punchy, less dynamic, more boomy. And then when I turn on DEQ, the bass becomes fuller, more dynamic, punchier, more musical, tighter.

Controlling the amount of DEQ may be less intuitive than Dolby Modeler. With Audyssey, increasing the channel trim levels increases the DEQ affect, while decreasing the trim levels decreases the magnitude of DEQ.

i don't know if I will ever try ARC. But a few AVRs from Onkyo and HK have Dolby Volume. So I may try those out. Maybe. I am less inclined, however, since I am completely satisfied currently.

These days I am all about watching movies and TV series on my HTPC + XBMC. :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Anthem's implementation of Leveler is great as it allows you to set it from Off all the way to 10.
PENG was telling me that Audyssey has the Reference Level Offset for Dynamic EQ which can be set from 0 all the way to 15. So that is even more expansive than Anthem. :D

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
PENG was telling me that Audyssey has the Reference Level Offset for Dynamic EQ which can be set from 0 all the way to 15. So that is even more expansive than Anthem. :D
Audyssey has the Reference Level Offset, which AVR

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Audyssey has the Reference Level Offset, which AVR
Which AVR?

I don't know. I don't recall seeing this on my Denon, but PENG says it is in his AVR. Others have said it is in their Denon AVRs. But I don't know where it is located.

Chris Kyriakakis says:

"In AVRs that don't have the Dynamic EQ Reference Level Offset feature, you can achieve the same thing by turning down the digital input trim for that source".

https://audyssey.zendesk.com/entries/73283-dynamic-eq-and-reference-level

Increasing the trims will increase the magnitude or effects of DEQ. Decreasing the trims will decrease the magnitude of DEQ.

Last edited:
Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
As examples, the Marantz NR1504 and NR1604, Onkyo TX-NR626, and Denon AVR-E400 have Reference Level Offset.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
As examples, the Marantz NR1504 and NR1604, Onkyo TX-NR626, and Denon AVR-E400 have Reference Level Offset.
That's one thing I hate about buying high-end. My AVP-A1 & 5308 don't have this feature, yet a cheap new Denon or Onkyo has it. :eek:

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
That's one thing I hate about buying high-end. My AVP-A1 & 5308 don't have this feature, yet a cheap new Denon or Onkyo has it. :eek:
Agree kind of a bummer but trickle down technology will always end up on less costly units. Cheaper to produce, bulk purchases of components etc.

We can always get rid of our old receivers and purchase the new units or just suck it up and enjoy the music.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Agree kind of a bummer but trickle down technology will always end up on less costly units. Cheaper to produce, bulk purchases of components etc.

We can always get rid of our old receivers and purchase the new units or just suck it up and enjoy the music.
I have the fortitude to suck it up and endure the tribulation . :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Well, relatively cheap. :)
You are right for sure. $500 is a lot of change for me. I am not willing to spend any amount on audio right now. So even $300 is too much right now for me. :D

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
So the Modeler seems to significantly enhance or improve the bass?

That's pretty much what I think DEQ does for my bass. When I turn off DEQ, the bass seems flat and less musical, less punchy, less dynamic, more boomy. And then when I turn on DEQ, the bass becomes fuller, more dynamic, punchier, more musical, tighter.
Yes, Dolby Volume does something similar. I find DEQ makes the bass a hair boomy when listening at low levels in comparison. The Offset PENG referred to affects the aggressiveness of the DEQ curve which has nothing to do with how much compression Dynamic Volume is applying. Audyssey usually has Low, Medium, High, and Off setting whereas the DV Leveler (compression) on Anthem allows a numerical value from 0 to 10.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Yes, Dolby Volume does something similar. I find DEQ makes the bass a hair boomy when listening at low levels in comparison. The Offset PENG referred to affects the aggressiveness of the DEQ curve which has nothing to do with how much compression Dynamic Volume is applying. Audyssey usually has Low, Medium, High, and Off setting whereas the DV Leveler (compression) on Anthem allows a numerical value from 0 to 10.
Wait. I was not talking about Dynamic Volume at all. Dynamic Volume is turned off completely 100% of the time. No dynamic compression whatsoever for me. Just DEQ. So if DEQ produces slightly more bass than desired, the Offset will tailor to your need from 0-15.

So to be clear, Dolby Volume Leveler has a setting of 0-10 and Dolby Volume Modeler has a setting of 0-10? Or is this 0-10 setting only for the Leveler and NOT for the Modeler?

Now if you set the Leveler to 0, will it turn OFF the Modeler as well. Are the Leveler and Modeler linked together ? Can you have just the Modeler WITHOUT the Leveler? Or do they go together like peas and carrots? :D

Last edited:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Which AVR?

I don't know. I don't recall seeing this on my Denon, but PENG says it is in his AVR. Others have said it is in their Denon AVRs. But I don't know where it is located.
I thought you have a couple of 3312, even the 3310 has the reference offset feature. If you do have the 3312, search the manual for "offset", it should take you to page 101 of the manual.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I bet if you upgrade to XT32 it will be included, just guessing though. By the way, I just realize the XT32 upgrade include Audyssey Pro, that is a $500 feature if I remember correctly. With the pro you will be able to do a lot more playing around with a laptop, like you would with the Anthem ARC but of course for the money of the upgrade you could probably get a MRX510.

R

ReUpRo

Full Audioholic
Fwiw, Audyssey Dynamic [Strike]Volume[/Strike] EQ Reference Level Offset goes in 5dB intervals. So, 4 steps, 0, -5, -10, -15.

Does Modeler go in 1dB increments? If yes, it wins on flexibility.

Edit: fixed mistake.

Last edited:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Fwiw, Audyssey Dynamic Volume Reference Level Offset goes in 5dB intervals. So, 4 steps, 0, -5, -10, -15.

Does Modeler go in 1dB increments? If yes, it wins on flexibility.
The 0,5,10,15 dB offsets are for Dynamic EQ, not Dynamic Volume. Dynamic volume adjustments would be "Off, Day, Evenng, Midnight" or "Off, Light, Medium, Heave" depending on the specific model.

ADTG is talking about DEQ, not DV.

R

ReUpRo

Full Audioholic
The 0,5,10,15 dB offsets are for Dynamic EQ, not Dynamic Volume. Dynamic volume adjustments would be "Off, Day, Evenng, Midnight" or "Off, Light, Medium, Heave" depending on the specific model.

ADTG is talking about DEQ, not DV.
Doh! Meant to say Dynamic Eq. earlier.

Like ADTG, I too keep Dynamic Volume off, always.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I thought you have a couple of 3312, even the 3310 has the reference offset feature. If you do have the 3312, search the manual for "offset", it should take you to page 101 of the manual.
I see it now in my 3312. Under Audyssey Setting, DEQ On, then it has the Offset setting. :D

But the AVP & 5308 does not have it.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis