H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
sky is the limit, don't have one! Looking for the best
Use your 4 DefTecs for surrounds, get a pair of Status Acoustics 8Ts for the fronts, any one of Denon/Yamaha/Marantz top-of-the-line AVRs.

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
Get a Yamaha RX-A3020 and you won't need external amps to drive your Def Techs. Its one of the few receivers coming close to doubling its output into 4 ohms. Its predecessor, the RX-A3000 I believe is the only AVR tested by Audioholics that has come close to doubling its output.

Yamaha RX-A3000 Aventage 11.2 Networking A/V Receiver Review | Audioholics

From the review....

"The Yamaha RX-A3000 handedly exceeded its 140wpc power rating continuously with two channels driven and stomped out an impressive 236wpc both channels driven into 4 ohms; and that’s a full power bandwidth measurement (20Hz to 20kHz at 0.1% THD + N). It proved to be every bit as powerful as their more expensive RX-Z7 mode. You can see the protection circuit kick on during our ACD tests, purposely limiting power to 65wpc. In short time, there is no doubt in my mind forum lurkers seeing this will pop up on our site or AVS Forum bashing Yamaha, not realizing the design purpose of power limiting a multi channel amplifier in a compact chassis, or the reality that real world program material will never trip this limiter circuitry. Thus we conducted dynamic burst power measurements simulating real world program content. Interestingly enough the RX-A3000 delivered similar dynamic power output ACD into 8 ohm loads and slightly more power two channels driven into 4 ohm loads than the Emotiva UPA-7 dedicated multi-channel power amplifier that is designed to deliver rated power continuously into all channels as can be seen in the comparison table below.....

It's clear that the Yamaha RX-A3000 delivers more than rated power with up to two channels driven and tons of dynamic headroom (1.9dB for 8 ohms based on their 140wpc power rating). Let no skeptic tell you otherwise, the RX-A3000 has a darn respectable amplifier section not only for a receiver but for a modestly priced seven channel power amplifier."
With no price tag, I would go with that receiver, too:

Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A3020 9.2-channel home theater receiver with Apple AirPlay® at Crutchfield.com

I would even pick it over its replacement, the RX-A3030, at least until I see a review of the video processing in the new model. The old one uses a great chip, and Yamaha did a great job with it. The new one uses Yamaha's own chip, and I have not yet seen any reviews of its performance.

As for a power amp, if I had speakers that required massive power, I would get one, but otherwise I would use the amplifiers built in. Even if I had the wealth of Bill Gates. I want my money to get me something useful, not waste it on something that makes no difference.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
^^Post it then. :D Help the bro out. It's $1300 regularly.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I can't imagine how people who are really happy with their equipment despite not having Audyssey XT + sub EQ + DEQ? How is this possible? :eek:
They could have Audyssey XT32 + Dual Sub EQ + DEQ. :D

At any rate, I am sure it's difficult, but life goes on. :D

There are more important things in life than AVR, speakers, and audio. ;)

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
All I think about when I hear ... " Audyssey XT32 + Sub EQ + DEQ " :D

Last edited:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I can't imagine how people who are really happy with their equipment despite not having Audyssey XT + sub EQ + DEQ? How is this possible? :eek:
"You don't miss what you never had", could be one possibility.:D Just kidding, I think he maybe just exaggerating to emphasis a point, people do that occasionally right?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
"You don't miss what you never had", could be one possibility.:D Just kidding, I think he maybe just exaggerating to emphasis a point, people do that occasionally right?
Taking the blue pill is safer. :D

I think people ought to try it out first before passing judgment. :D

Also, not everyone follows and reads every thread. So I am just simply reiterating for new members and other members who don't frequent AH as much as we do. ;)

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
H
Taking the blue pill is safer. :D

I think people ought to try it out first before passing judgment. :D

Also, not everyone follows and reads every thread. So I am just simply reiterating for new members and other members who don't frequent AH as much as we do. ;)
Are you taking kickbacks from Audyssey ot are you on their payroll?:D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Wrong! They have Anthem with ARC and Dolby Volume :D Yeah, I'm really happy with my MRX 310 :)
I am certain all companies think they have the best. Comparing their software may be just like comparing speakers. It may just come down to subjective perceived quality.

I think my point should be that the main difference among all the AVRs is their EQs and RCs. In Direct modes, not so much difference there.

However, I want to point out (and correct me if I am wrong) that Anthem only has single sub EQ, not dual sub EQ like XT32.

Also, 1 Onkyo model and 1 HK model have Dolby Volume as well. Judging between Dolby Volume vs. Dynamic EQ may be just another case of pure subjective preference. I don't know.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
So it seems pointless for anyone to ask for opinions as everyone seems to be influenced?:D
Everyone's bought. :D

If all these AVR had the same software, it would be another story.

But now it boils down to software, features, price, aesthetic, availability, and reliability. Not power output like a few Yamaha fanboy would lobby.

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
I am certain all companies think they have the best. Comparing their software may be just like comparing speakers. It may just come down to subjective perceived quality.

I think my point should be that the main difference among all the AVRs is their EQs and RCs. In Direct modes, not so much difference there.

However, I want to point out (and correct me if I am wrong) that Anthem only has single sub EQ, not dual sub EQ like XT32.

Also, 1 Onkyo model and 1 HK model have Dolby Volume as well. Judging between Dolby Volume vs. Dynamic EQ may be just another case of pure subjective preference. I don't know.
I was just having a little fun with you :p but you're right, it does come down to subjectivity. I personally prefer ARC over Audyssey as I feel it does better in the mid bass whereas I feel Audyssey puts a slight smiley face curve on the sound. Just a matter of preference.

I believe Onkyo's implementation of DV shuts off the room correction when in use. As for HK, their room correction is pretty terrible and better left off IMO so again you have DV with no room correction.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I was just having a little fun with you :p but you're right, it does come down to subjectivity. I personally prefer ARC over Audyssey as I feel it does better in the mid bass whereas I feel Audyssey puts a slight smiley face curve on the sound. Just a matter of preference.

I believe Onkyo's implementation of DV shuts off the room correction when in use. As for HK, their room correction is pretty terrible and better left off IMO so again you have DV with no room correction.
I know. We're all having fun and pulling chains. :D

I think the only reason I like Audyssey DEQ so much is because of what it does to the bass (low, mid, upper), which is subjective. The midrange and treble are unchanged.

Do you use Dolby Volume all the time? I use Dynamic EQ 100% of the time, so I am just wondering.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis