First Real Bike Thoughts

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
I have a clock radio that plays music, you think it's ok if I sell off my HT system since it does the same thing?

A Ford Focus is also a car just like a Viper is a car...

Crap...there is a chance I have too many bikes now....lol...

Trying to get rid of your spare tire or weight from your wallet?

Sorry but I never understood first bike owners getting such an expensive bike for just a workout. A level of quality is good providing you keep on using it but many I've seen don't and it just collects dust in a year or two. Having said that, Kona does make a good bike, I've had mine for about 10 years now with lots of miles on it and zero problems. Mine is a mtn bike with on/off road tires (basically road tread in the middle with off road tread on the sides) that's used 95% on road with the occasional trail ride. Spent many summer nights zipping around the city doing 30-70km rides and it provides a good workout.

Last edited:
ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
I'm cringing now just thinking about it. While it's true that a lot of people buy expensive bikes that just collect dust, a lot ride them everyday too. I ride for fun and the fitness is just collateral damage.

No I hear ya. Believe me, I didn't go into this with a budget of a grand, and I'm still kind of hemming and hawing over whether or not I'm going to actually buy the thing. I guess it'll largely depend on what the next few paychecks look like and if the bike shop still has the size I need when I've got the cash together. If he sells out of the 2013's in my size and I'd have no choice but to go with a 2014, then I'll probably cheap out and get something that'll make P-dawg cringe :p

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Dude, I already offered you my bike. Now it's "me" time. :D
I think everyone would agree that you take enough "me" time. Anymore and something might fall off :p

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I think everyone would agree that you take enough "me" time. Anymore and something might fall off :p
You can thank me later for that slow pitch right over the plate. :)

Wait...that's not much better...

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I clip in for mtn, some people say that you can't be ready for anything clipped in, but once you get used to that little twist to release, it happens with out thinking...
Yup, once you are used to it, it's just 2nd nature.

I didn't think I would like clips at first for that reason, now that's my preferred setup.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I'm cringing now just thinking about it. While it's true that a lot of people buy expensive bikes that just collect dust, a lot ride them everyday too. I ride for fun and the fitness is just collateral damage.
You have way too many bikes, you should just ship me one :p

I'll have to see what's what when I wander back over to the bike shop next weekend, although I might go this week and take a test ride on it. I think that could be the worst thing for my wallet though. :)

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
No I hear ya. Believe me, I didn't go into this with a budget of a grand, and I'm still kind of hemming and hawing over whether or not I'm going to actually buy the thing. I guess it'll largely depend on what the next few paychecks look like and if the bike shop still has the size I need when I've got the cash together. If he sells out of the 2013's in my size and I'd have no choice but to go with a 2014, then I'll probably cheap out and get something that'll make P-dawg cringe :p
For me, the other side of the coin is: "I spent that much $ on a MTB, I better ride it and get my $ worth"

avnetguy

avnetguy

Audioholic Chief
I have a clock radio that plays music, you think it's ok if I sell off my HT system since it does the same thing?

A Ford Focus is also a car just like a Viper is a car...

Crap...there is a chance I have too many bikes now....lol...
But which did you own first, clock radio or HT .. focus (shouldn't this be a neon, the econo viper?) or viper?
Yup, clock radio and focus ... :)

Nothing against getting a good bike, just make sure you're going to stick with it and be able to appreciate the difference, if any. You can always upgrade a few years down the road, when you know what you want by your own experiences. I can certainly afford a more expensive bike but to me it makes no difference, I enjoy the ride just fine.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
That part may be valid, I have been biking for 30 years so I know I am going to get a lot of use out of the gear I purchase. At the level of bikes I have, you never "need" anything but when you upgrade things, you tend to ride more and that's always a good thing.

Example: I have what is likely the best aluminum wheels on the market right now.

Last week I ordered carbon wheels.

Do I need them: no

Will I feel any difference: maybe a little in the stiffness department but they weigh the same as my others so not much difference.

Will I ride more often and harder because I have new wheels: yes

Will my fitness benefit from riding more: yes

So my wheels cost a lot more than most people's bikes but that's what I like to spend money on. It is silly but it's what I do.

Nothing against getting a good bike, just make sure you're going to stick with it and be able to appreciate the difference, if any. You can always upgrade a few years down the road, when you know what you want by your own experiences. I can certainly afford a more expensive bike but to me it makes no difference, I enjoy the ride just fine.

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
Have you thought about a MV Agusta F4?

Lovely plumage, eh Squire. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
avnetguy

avnetguy

Audioholic Chief
That part may be valid, I have been biking for 30 years so I know I am going to get a lot of use out of the gear I purchase. At the level of bikes I have, you never "need" anything but when you upgrade things, you tend to ride more and that's always a good thing.

Example: I have what is likely the best aluminum wheels on the market right now.

Last week I ordered carbon wheels.

Do I need them: no

Will I feel any difference: maybe a little in the stiffness department but they weigh the same as my others so not much difference.

Will I ride more often and harder because I have new wheels: yes

Will my fitness benefit from riding more: yes

So my wheels cost a lot more than most people's bikes but that's what I like to spend money on. It is silly but it's what I do.
I'm with you on that and it's great you've found a long term fitness outlet that you enjoy over the long term, you're in the top 1%. Very few people I know fall into this category, my brother and a few friends have expensive gear but it's a way of life for them, so money well spent. For the vast majority though, it's a wasted money pit on a never ending cycle ...
- buy new gear (sometimes expensive)
- use it for a while
- fad wears off
- collects dust (sell at a huge loss in garage sale)
- repeat with new fad

From a cost perspective my bike was about $500, so that's maybe a $30/year investment which is good. Hopefully this year (missed riding the last couple of years) I can train my dog to run with me while I ride.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I'm with you on that and it's great you've found a long term fitness outlet that you enjoy over the long term, you're in the top 1%. Very few people I know fall into this category, my brother and a few friends have expensive gear but it's a way of life for them, so money well spent. For the vast majority though, it's a wasted money pit on a never ending cycle ...
- use it for a while
- fad wears off
- repeat with new fad

From a cost perspective my bike was about $500, so that's maybe a $30/year investment which is good. Hopefully this year (missed riding the last couple of years) I can train my dog to run with me while I ride.
So at $1000, I'd need to have this bike for 10 years for it to amount to $100/year not counting upgrades, repairs, maintenance, etc. Then I'd have to feel like I got $100+ worth of riding out of it over those 10 years (hopefully more).

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
Easy man, I don't have a gravel-grinder so I want Fuzz to get a good one so I will have a nice one when I buy it from him for $137.25....
- use it for a while
- fad wears off
- repeat with new fad

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis