ZA 5.3c DIY Center Channel

jinjuku

jinjuku

I am building the ZA 5.3c center channel on John 'Zaph' Krutke's self designed driver the ZA5.

Thanks goes out to everyone in the Rockler Bits thread for a few pointers/advice.

I used this as a bit of a learning experience to 45' all the side box edges so I could get corner that I didn't have to screw around with. I think it is going to work out fine. I am now a big fan of dado cuts and window bracing:D

Last edited by a moderator:
Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
YES, someone is actually building a speaker!! A real speaker with a crossover, not just a sub in a big box! :D

Please post more pictures as you continue with your speaker.

If all your mitered seams fit together (without too much bondo or sanding ;)), you'll have my highest respect.

jinjuku

jinjuku

YES, someone is actually building a speaker!! A real speaker with a crossover, not just a sub in a big box! :D

Please post more pictures as you continue with your speaker.

If all your mitered seams fit together (without too much bondo or sanding ;)), you'll have my highest respect.
I think you will need to be prepared to gimme some respect. I am left with the impression that just some minor sanding and slight fill here and there. I don't see anything at the corners that is more than a few minutes here or there. The mitered edges really line up well.

I could use corner clamps though to mitigate that even some more.

I am absolutely STOKED about the window frame brace. I mean it will be one tough cabinet when I am done:D

Shout out to Eddy: if you are lurking the thread: Thanks so much for hooking me up with that receiver. Enjoy your center channel!

jinjuku

jinjuku

The 9 layer birch ply is left over from (gasp) my sub build...

The parts I picked up from Madisound. ~$160 shipped. I am sure for the ~$180 (wood and glue) that this will keep up with some of the $300-400 center channels I have seen out there.

jinjuku

jinjuku

Component pics...

Here are some pics of the parts that just arrived from Madisound.

sawzalot

sawzalot

Audioholic Samurai
Very nice wood working skills, I know it is tough to truly see the edges through posted pics but from where I'm sitting they look real nice like and I am sure you will have one awesome center when completed, :)

jinjuku

jinjuku

Very nice wood working skills, I know it is tough to truly see the edges through posted pics but from where I'm sitting they look real nice like and I am sure you will have one awesome center when completed, :)
I have to work on making a zero clearance, 45°, throat plate. I think this will alleviate some of the chipping that you get at the veneered edge of the ply.

The only other alternative is to use some scrap 1/4" board underneath what I am cutting to avoid tear out... We shall see.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I have to work on making a zero clearance, 45°, throat plate. I think this will alleviate some of the chipping that you get at the veneered edge of the ply.

The only other alternative is to use some scrap 1/4" board underneath what I am cutting to avoid tear out... We shall see.
How about having the finish side 'up' when running it through the saw? Some blue masking tape over the intended cut helps to keep tear out under control and ... something the cabinet guys call a triple chip blade. To me it looked like a non ferrous metal cutting blade with every third tooth being non directional so to speak or how about a zero clearance, 45°, throat plate? :D

Looks great and I want to thank you on Swerd's behalf. He was jonesing. :p

jinjuku

jinjuku

How about having the finish side 'up' when running it through the saw? Some blue masking tape over the intended cut helps to keep tear out under control and ... something the cabinet guys call a triple chip blade. To me it looked like a non ferrous metal cutting blade with every third tooth being non directional so to speak or how about a zero clearance, 45°, throat plate? :D

Looks great and I want to thank you on Swerd's behalf. He was jonesing. :p
Unfortunately the saw is a 'right tilt' (?) saw. Which means the blade tilts towards the fence. I don't have enough room on the left hand side of the saw fence wise to do any large cuts.

I picked up a blank throat plate for $25 @ WoodCraft today...

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Unfortunately the saw is a 'right tilt' (?) saw. Which means the blade tilts towards the fence. I don't have enough room on the left hand side of the saw fence wise to do any large cuts.

I picked up a blank throat plate for $25 @ WoodCraft today...
Cool. The tape prick works pretty well too. A little cheat on your joined miters is to run like a hammer head up the miter to sort of collapse the two paper thin hair edges in on themselves. It's not a trick you want to use constructing a $3,000 humidor but it's the kind of thing that flies in the real world.

My buddy has a killer table saw and this summer, God as my witness, I am going to make some saw dust! :)

jinjuku

jinjuku

Coming together...

Going just dado/45's/glue is sure slowing me down. I'm trying to resist the urge to use a brad or finish nailer. It would speed things up quite the bit though.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.

What kind of saw do you have? I have three unused zero-clearance throat plates and the guy assured me they would fit my saw, but the WoodWorking Show ended that day, so there was no way for me to return them. These are for a Jet/Powermatic/Craftsman, etc saw. I can get the dimensions, if you want.

robot

robot

Junior Audioholic
really nice project... that cabinet is looking great

jinjuku

jinjuku

What kind of saw do you have? I have three unused zero-clearance throat plates and the guy assured me they would fit my saw, but the WoodWorking Show ended that day, so there was no way for me to return them. These are for a Jet/Powermatic/Craftsman, etc saw. I can get the dimensions, if you want.
Jet JTWS-10. It's the only contractor type saw that they make. It's a really good saw for the money I paid but I would like a Biesemeyer style fence. let me know about the plates. I would like a zero clearance dado also.

jinjuku

jinjuku

Say hi to my Mother in Law:) Helping me veneer the box. I would have had it all messed up.

jinjuku

jinjuku

So you can see the the ZDT3.5c and the ZA5.3c for a size comparison.

The ZA14W08 is in my opinion un-arguably a better woofer. While the ZDT3.5c is going to be able to go lower and play louder, the ZA5.3c is better at dialog. It is more revealing. WOW.

John Krutke has done one hell of a job on the driver and the subsequent design. I am still in disbelief. WOW.

jinjuku

jinjuku

I have the baffle glued on and just have to wait overnight for the glue to cure.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis