Your favorite 'study' CD's

S

slmcdonald7

Junior Audioholic
Hi all,

I have a bit of a problem, and thought that you could help. I listen to the same 10 cd's when I study. As often as I do this, my music selection has gotten real old real fast. Thus, I am looking for your recommendations for good 'study music'.

I don't want to just limit this to jazz or classical, it can be anything that you like that meets the following criteria:

1) No / few words (Sporadic lyrics like in Mum's music are ok)
2) Not too upbeat (I like slower, darker music when I study)

There were some great recommendations in the classical and jazz threads below, but I wanted to open this up to any genre. There seem to be several members here with a wealth of knowledge in this area, and I am excited to hear what you have to say.

Any and all recommendations are appreciated.

Thanks,
Stephen

S

spenny

Audioholic Intern
Skalpel - Stereo
Blockhead - Music by Cavelight
LemonJelly - Lost Horizons (HIGHLY recommended!!)
Dusted - When we were young (Rollo from Faithless does a solo album. with the occasional Chiorboy)
Air - Moon Safari

H

hlesser

Audioholic Intern
A few classical suggestions

Mikhail Pletnev / Scarlatti sonatas (2 CD set, piano)

Bach Unaccompanied Violin (several good choices) or Cello Suites (Rostropovich)

Tallis Scholars / ALLEGRI/Miserere

Manuel Barrueco - 300 yrs of Guitar Masterpieces - 3 CD for $16 @ Barnes & Noble

H

hipchack

Enthusiast
Greg Osby "THe Invisible Hand" (Awesome CD!!)
JJ Johnson "Heroes"
Miles Davis and Gil Evans "The Best of" by Columbia records

Has words but I've found them very relaxing to study with:
Cat Stevens "Teaser and the Firecat"
Lyle Lovett "Lyle Lovett and his Large Band"

S

slmcdonald7

Junior Audioholic
I love Lyle Lovett!

"I Love Everybody" is also a great cd not only for study, but also all occassions! Lyle Lovett is fantastic. :)

Thanks to all for the recommendations so far, keep 'em coming!

-Stephen

Francious70

Francious70

Senior Audioholic
Anything by Joe Satriani or Yngwie Malmsteen. Bela Fleck would also be good. I think the songs "A Warm Place" and "The Downward Spiral" off of NIN's "The Downward Spiral" is pretty calming.

Paul

S

stiletto pat

Audioholic
It's been a long time since I've listened to this type of music extensively, but I'd suggest Andreas Vollenweider, as well as Patrick O'Hearn and Rick Braun. Vollenweider and O'Hearn are more new age (late 80s, early 90s...), but well done, while Braun is more jazz. Almost no words for any of them, and often dark and brooding....

Give 'em a try and let me know what you think....

Pat

Rip Van Woofer

Rip Van Woofer

Audioholic General
I used to listen to Mozart when I studied. Mozart was still alive when I was a student.... ;)

S

spenny

Audioholic Intern
i'd like to do the Bill & Ted and introduce Mr. Mozart to this century's musical tastes just to see what he'd do about it.

Rip Van Woofer

Rip Van Woofer

Audioholic General
spenny said:
i'd like to do the Bill & Ted and introduce Mr. Mozart to this century's musical tastes just to see what he'd do about it.
Hmmm...Symphony #43, "The Gangsta", for symphony orchestra, MC, and turntables!

World premiere in Detroit (the home of techno). There would be a scandal arising from the afterglow party at mayor Kwame Kilpatrick's executive mansion (known to be quite a party animal himself) where Wolfgang would get roaring drunk and grope governor Jennifer Granholm.

Last edited:
S

slmcdonald7

Junior Audioholic
Thanks Rip!

Until you reminded me, I had forgotten that I meant to entitle this thread "Your favorite study CD's and imaginary incidents of political sexual harassment".

Yours is a much better thread idea ;)

Just kidding around.

Seriously, I apprecieate the input from everyone so far, I have been listening to snippets of the recommended albums on Amazon and I should be making my first purchase sometime next week. I have really liked almost everything that I have listened to, keep the good ideas coming.

Thanks all,
Stephen

rgriffin25

rgriffin25

I echo Rip's recommendation of Mozart. A book has been written discussing the positive effect of Mozart's music. "The Mozart Effect" is a good read when you get time.

At school we are performing Mozart's 39th Symphony this week. Give it a spin you won't be disappointed. :)

S

slmcdonald7

Junior Audioholic
An interesting note

It's true, many studies have been done about the positive effects of listening to Mozart while studying on information retention. In fact this 'Mozart Effect' is generalized to almost any music not written in 4-4 time (of course, there are other criteria, but I am speaking generally of classical music). It alters the firing rate of neurons, but they (the scientists / psychologists studying this) aren't quite sure why (if my memory serves me correctly).

Are there any particular recordings of this piece that you would recommend?

To all:
Keep the recommendations coming! :D

Thanks again,
Stephen

Dan

Dan

Audioholic Chief
Here's another reply to reveal one's age. Try the Brian Eno ambient music (eg Music for Airports)or later Steve Hillage.(Rainbow Dome Music). Many folks hated this stuff and it can render you comatose, but it might be what you are looking for.

P

Pat D

Audioholic
Music for Quiet Listening

slmcdonald7 said:
Hi all,

I have a bit of a problem, and thought that you could help. I listen to the same 10 cd's when I study. As often as I do this, my music selection has gotten real old real fast. Thus, I am looking for your recommendations for good 'study music'.

I don't want to just limit this to jazz or classical, it can be anything that you like that meets the following criteria:

1) No / few words (Sporadic lyrics like in Mum's music are ok)
2) Not too upbeat (I like slower, darker music when I study)

There were some great recommendations in the classical and jazz threads below, but I wanted to open this up to any genre. There seem to be several members here with a wealth of knowledge in this area, and I am excited to hear what you have to say.

Any and all recommendations are appreciated.

Thanks,
Stephen
There are a number of compilations of calming music. Here are some:

Nicholas Chedeville (formerly attributed to Vivaldi): "Il Pastor Fido" (The Faithful Shepherd). Irena Grafenauer, flutes; plus harpsichord, organ, cello and double bass. Philips 432 138-2. Nice flute music.

Italian Oboe Concertos (Corelli, Bellini, Cimarosa, Fiorillo, Righini, Barbirolli). Anthony Camden and Julia Girdwood, oboes; Nicholas Ward, City of London Sinfonia. Naxos 8.553433. There is also a Volume 2, but it's less subdued.

Dance of the Blessed Spirits: Romantic Music for Flute and Harp. Nora Shulman, flute; Judy Loman, harp. Naxos 8.554166

Romantic Music for Flute and Harp. Janos Balint, flute; Nora Mercz, harp. Naxos 8.550741

Gang Chen and Zhanhao He, The Butterfly Lovers Violin Concerto, other violin pieces. Takako Nishizako, violin; Fan Chengwu, Shanghai Conservatory Symphony Orchestra. Naxos 8.554334

Andante Cantabile: Romantic Music for Cello and Orchestra . Various performers. Naxos 8.555764

Berceuse: Music of Peace and Calm . Various slow orchestral music pieces. Naxos 8.553843

Meditation . Various conductors and orchestras. Decca eloquence 4674142

Daydreams Various performers. DG eloquence 469 639-2

Music for Quiet Listening. Various composers. Howard Hanson, Eastman Rochester Orchestra. Mercury 434 347-2

Anyway, there are numerous CDs with similar titles, and the ones from the major labels seem to be pretty good. All sound fine and all except the last are budget label recordings.

You could also look into some chamber music, such as the later Dvorak Quartets with the Vlach Quartet and Haydn's Opus 20 and Opus 33 Quartets with the Kodaly Qt. on Naxos.

I suppose it also depends on what sort of music relaxes you and keeps you in the mood for studying.

Last edited:
JoeE SP9

JoeE SP9

Senior Audioholic
Study while listening to music? I can't even read while listening to music. The notes just seem to interfere with anything else I try to do. I put on To Grover With Love and Larry Niven got postponed till later. :cool:

L

Leprkon

Audioholic General
something that has a good varianceto keep you from locking in on one beat and then zoning out.

John Butcher - Wishes is a perfect example
Robert Cray - Smokin Gun

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis