Yet Another Statements Build!

mattsk8

mattsk8

Full Audioholic
Will this work for xover location? The one in the pic is tweet/woofer. I'll put the mid xover on the top of the other mid tunnel. Mainly making sure the xovers aren't too close to the woofers? I won't get any interferance will I?

mattsk8

mattsk8

Full Audioholic
Finally done w/ the rough cabinets!!! I won't get to finish these for a couple months cuz my dad has to finish his additon w/ the rec room they're going in. They're in his living room hooked to his Pioneer SX-1250 right now and WOW do they ever sound amazing!!!! I'll post better listening impressions when I have more time. For now I will say I've never heard anything that sounds as good as these do, ever!! I'm a little nervous about the ER18s I'm building for me now :eek:!

jinjuku

jinjuku

Awesome build. Quick too. Can't wait to see the finished cabinets!

Love to hear your impressions and what music you are using to evaluate. I can make a few recommendations:D

Congratulations!!

I wonder how Jim Ackley is doing on his build...

jinjuku

jinjuku

For now I will say I've never heard anything that sounds as good as these do, ever!! I'm a little nervous about the ER18s I'm building for me now :eek:!
I would like to hear them next to each other. The ER18's aren't going to have the bottom end the Statements have in my guesstimation.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Don't worry mattsk8. Speakers you build will always sound better to you. I do recommend a roundover on the corners if you haven't added a finish yet. Even a small one will make them safer to move. If you are veneering then don't do a roundover

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
Finally done w/ the rough cabinets!!! I won't get to finish these for a couple months cuz my dad has to finish his additon w/ the rec room they're going in. They're in his living room hooked to his Pioneer SX-1250 right now and WOW do they ever sound amazing!!!! I'll post better listening impressions when I have more time. For now I will say I've never heard anything that sounds as good as these do, ever!! I'm a little nervous about the ER18s I'm building for me now :eek:!
Finish those first, and then decide later which one your dad gets :D

R

roadrune

Audioholic
Bumping an old thread...

After havimg theese and the ER18's for some years now, which will you say sound the best of the two?

I allready built a pair of ER's for my HT and really like them, but now i'm thinking to build something for my livingroom as a pure stereosystem. Allthough i love my ER's it's kind of "been there" so i would like to try something else, and it seems making a statement would be a good idea :)

R

roadrune

Audioholic
I just discovered that Matt havent been in here this year, but maybe someone else have an opinion?

D

David LR

Junior Audioholic
Roadrune -

Just my two cents worth, (I built the ER18's, I've posted in the main ER18 thread also), but
if I build another pair I'll be looking at something designed by Jeff Bagby. From all my lurking around on
audio websites, it seems that the two very top designers in the DIY world are Dennis Murphy & Jeff Bagby.
That's my take anyway. Already got a Dennis Murphy speaker, would love to hear something by Jeff Bagby.

His home forum seems to be Parts Express, I know they have a kit (The Solstice I believe). Meniscus also
carries his designs as well as some over on DIY Soundgroup.

I'm sure the Statements sound great (there's a Statements II design out now I believe), they're just too
big for my listening room.

Dave

D

David LR

Junior Audioholic
By the way, Mattsk8 posts over on the Parts Express forum. He has built both the ER18 & the Statements
so the perfect person to ask for comparisons between the two !

jinjuku

jinjuku

Bumping an old thread...

After havimg theese and the ER18's for some years now, which will you say sound the best of the two?

I allready built a pair of ER's for my HT and really like them, but now i'm thinking to build something for my livingroom as a pure stereosystem. Allthough i love my ER's it's kind of "been there" so i would like to try something else, and it seems making a statement would be a good idea :)
In a nutshell Matt prefers the ER's over the Statements. There is only one issue with this and the general concensus is that Matt didn't assemble the X-overs for the Statements. As people that have heard both his Statements and mine have noted the difference in sound.

Curt Campbell has a new design out there that is a little less expensive than the Statements in a smaller form factor but sound as good or better. Hit his speaker design works website for his latest build.

R

roadrune

Audioholic
Ok, thanks.

Is it likely that the crossovers can play a big part, and if so, how?

I cant see much going wrong there except wrong components and/or wrong order, but i would think Matt would have seen that?

jinjuku

jinjuku

Ok, thanks.

Is it likely that the crossovers can play a big part, and if so, how?

I cant see much going wrong there except wrong components and/or wrong order, but i would think Matt would have seen that?
If the cross overs don't work you don't have a speaker. It's like taking the ECU out of your car. You still have 5 wheels but you aren't going anywhere in it.

R

roadrune

Audioholic
If the cross overs don't work you don't have a speaker. It's like taking the ECU out of your car. You still have 5 wheels but you aren't going anywhere in it.
Yes, i know, but that was not really the question.

Is it likely that Matt prefers the er's over the Statements because there is something wrong with the crossover?

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord

Is it likely that Matt prefers the er's over the Statements because there is something wrong with the crossover?
RR, your question has been already answered :
As people that have heard both his Statements and mine have noted the difference in sound.
Facts:
a) Jinjuku built his own statements
b) Mattsk8 built his own statements
c) People who heard both have stated that there is clear difference between them

Hypothesis: Mattsk8 have incorrectly built crossover - thus making speaker sound differently.

mattsk8

mattsk8

Full Audioholic
RR, your question has been already answered :

Facts:
a) Jinjuku built his own statements
b) Mattsk8 built his own statements
c) People who heard both have stated that there is clear difference between them

Hypothesis: Mattsk8 have incorrectly built crossover - thus making speaker sound differently.
Sorry for the very late response, I just saw this. That^ is not correct. When Jinjuku heard my Statements 2 of the mid's cones were wrinkled due to a mishap with a nephew, but they still played. I can only surmise that this is what people heard. The xovers are (and were) correct; I can post pics of the xovers if anyone would like to see them; I'd also be glad to post measurements of them (I have an OmniMic).

Since the time Jinjuku heard them, I've had my ER18s in the same room as Jim Holtz's Statements. My opinion is...

It's going to boil down to personal preference, but I prefer the ER18s over the Statements; I'm not a fan of the mildly laid back midrange in the Statements. The detail in the top end of both is similar, which you'd expect because they share the same tweeter. The lower midrange in the ER18s is a tad "tubby" IMHO, but I still prefer their sound over the Statements. My best advice would be to try to listen to both of them.

Something else to consider... I can get the Statements to "pop" when I'm driving them hard before the ER18s, I think the 7" ER18 is a better driver than the 8" Dayton used in the Statements. You'll need a bigger amp for the Statements, the ER18s are very efficient (though they still benefit from a bigger amp IMHO). Both the ER18s and the Statements have a solid bottom end, very good bass from either.

If you're anywhere near Grand Rapids, MI on Sept 16 or 17, I'll have a new 3 way build (which is better yet, though it should be at $1200) at the annual Meniscus Audio DIY get together; if you're interested I can bring the ER18s as well.

mattsk8

mattsk8

Full Audioholic

The short answer is... no, this isn't likely.

jinjuku

jinjuku

Sorry for the very late response, I just saw this. That^ is not correct. When Jinjuku heard my Statements 2 of the mid's cones were wrinkled due to a mishap with a nephew, but they still played. I can only surmise that this is what people heard. The xovers are (and were) correct; I can post pics of the xovers if anyone would like to see them; I'd also be glad to post measurements of them (I have an OmniMic).

Since the time Jinjuku heard them, I've had my ER18s in the same room as Jim Holtz's Statements. My opinion is...

It's going to boil down to personal preference, but I prefer the ER18s over the Statements; I'm not a fan of the mildly laid back midrange in the Statements. The detail in the top end of both is similar, which you'd expect because they share the same tweeter. The lower midrange in the ER18s is a tad "tubby" IMHO, but I still prefer their sound over the Statements. My best advice would be to try to listen to both of them.

Something else to consider... I can get the Statements to "pop" when I'm driving them hard before the ER18s, I think the 7" ER18 is a better driver than the 8" Dayton used in the Statements. You'll need a bigger amp for the Statements, the ER18s are very efficient (though they still benefit from a bigger amp IMHO). Both the ER18s and the Statements have a solid bottom end, very good bass from either.

If you're anywhere near Grand Rapids, MI on Sept 16 or 17, I'll have a new 3 way build (which is better yet, though it should be at $1200) at the annual Meniscus Audio DIY get together; if you're interested I can bring the ER18s as well.
Thanks for the follow up and again people didn't know at the time the difference in sound (I didn't) and I tried to word it as the audience was making an educated guess.

Yes the woofers in the ER18's are a class above the ones in the Statements. I can't get mine to pop most likely because they get too loud before the voice coils start clearing the magnets.

The ER's are also simpler to build and about the same in costs. I think most would be happy with either.

mattsk8

mattsk8

Full Audioholic
Thanks for the follow up and again people didn't know at the time the difference in sound (I didn't) and I tried to word it as the audience was making an educated guess.

Yes the woofers in the ER18's are a class above the ones in the Statements. I can't get mine to pop most likely because they get too loud before the voice coils start clearing the magnets.

The ER's are also simpler to build and about the same in costs. I think most would be happy with either.
This^ x2. It was a pretty even swing between those that preferred the ER18 and those that preferred the Statements. I really think if it's a consideration of one or the other, I would try hard to hear both. Both speakers are incredibly well received by those that have them, and FWIW I could easily not only live with, but enjoy either of them. IMO, the biggest difference between the 2 lies in the midrange. The Statements have a mildly laid back, airy midrange, and the ER18s are a tad forward (but not too forward) with a mildly heavy lower mid. Personally, I prefer the mids in the ER18s, but that's just personal preference.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis