Yamaha RX-V4600 Receiver Review Thread

Z

zoran

Audioholic
Any good deals around? Any idea when pioneer 74TXI coming out?

surveyor

surveyor

Audioholic Chief
Thanks for another excellent review!
I am looking to upgrade my existing RX-V2200 reciever being used as a pre-amp.
I don't need the beefier amp of the RX-V4600, as I use a Outlaw 770 for that.
I don't need the HD radio, as I subscribe to satellite tv and get SIRIUS.
I would not use YPAO, after it's irregularities revealed in this review.
With these factors in mind, which is the better upgrade for me RX-V2500 or RX-V4600?
Is the RX-V4600 pre-amp that much better than the RX-V2500? :confused:

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
Does anyone find the weight of this unit a little on the "light" side? I would have guessed this unit to be closer to 50lbs as opposed to 39lbs - right where the Denon 3805, Onkyo TXNR901, and HK435 are. IMO Yamaha should have named this unit the new 2600 and priced it likewise to better compete with the new Denon 3806. Who knows, maybe they have and the new Denon will jump in price. But somehow, I doubt it.

Jaycan

Jaycan

Audioholic
I subscribe to satellite tv and get SIRIUS.

Surveyor,
Do you get Sirrius as part of a DBS deal?

surveyor

surveyor

Audioholic Chief
Jaycan said:
I subscribe to satellite tv and get SIRIUS.

Surveyor,
Do you get Sirrius as part of a DBS deal?
I subscribe to Dish Network Top 120. SIRIUS is part of that package.
Sirius is pretty good! :)

surveyor

surveyor

Audioholic Chief
Jaycan said:
SIRIUS is part of that package.Sirius is pretty good!

I imagine you can also get the Sirius NFL sports package if you wanted.
I usually don't watch a great deal of NFL untill play off time.
I would watch more, but Dallas is upon hard times and watching just pi$$e$ me off!
;)

Jaycan

Jaycan

Audioholic
Actually, I was referring to the deal recently signed by sirius to transmit the hometown Audio play by play of each NFL game, which is great, since not only can you get out of market games on Directv's NFL package, you can also receive the audio commentary for your favorite team as well. I'm not sure which satellite radio service carries the college football audio play by play, it might be XM.

B

BobbyT

Junior Audioholic
surveyor said:
Thanks for another excellent review!
I am looking to upgrade my existing RX-V2200 reciever being used as a pre-amp.
I don't need the beefier amp of the RX-V4600, as I use a Outlaw 770 for that.
I don't need the HD radio, as I subscribe to satellite tv and get SIRIUS.
I would not use YPAO, after it's irregularities revealed in this review.
With these factors in mind, which is the better upgrade for me RX-V2500 or RX-V4600?
Is the RX-V4600 pre-amp that much better than the RX-V2500? :confused:
Judgeing by the pics of the 2 units side by side opened up I would say the pre amp section is that much better. Also there is active i link and hdmi switching. And 3 1080i compatible component inputs.

surveyor

surveyor

Audioholic Chief
BobbyT said:
Judgeing by the pics of the 2 units side by side opened up I would say the pre amp section is that much better. Also there is active i link and hdmi switching. And 3 1080i compatible component inputs.
I read where the gold Nichons in the pre-amp were of higher quality in Gene's first look compared to the RX-V2500.
I currently have the RX-V2200 (4 years old now) and it has the gold Nichons used in its pre-amp section also. Of course its older, so its processor has less features.
But, I wonder if I would gain any true better audio from either the RX-V2500 or the RX-V4600 recievers, probably?
:confused:

B

BobbyT

Junior Audioholic
surveyor said:
I read where the gold Nichons in the pre-amp were of higher quality in Gene's first look compared to the RX-V2500.
I currently have the RX-V2200 (4 years old now) and it has the gold Nichons used in its pre-amp section also. Of course its older, so its processor has less features.
But, I wonder if I would gain any true better audio from either the RX-V2500 or the RX-V4600 recievers, probably?
:confused:
On music I couldn't say. That would have to be heard to know for sure. BUT, on movies it should be a big difference. You'll have DPL2x that you can layer over any format with Yamaha. Plus the latest processing chips and any new Yamaha DSPs. I think Yamaha excels with it's chipsets and processing power so getting thier latest is always a good thing. It's also future proof with the i link and hdmi switching.

surveyor

surveyor

Audioholic Chief
BobbyT said:
On music I couldn't say. That would have to be heard to know for sure. BUT, on movies it should be a big difference. You'll have DPL2x that you can layer over any format with Yamaha. Plus the latest processing chips and any new Yamaha DSPs. I think Yamaha excels with it's chipsets and processing power so getting thier latest is always a good thing. It's also future proof with the i link and hdmi switching.
I think your right!
I've got time though, and I'll evaluate all information from this site before purchasing.
I hope to keep the helpfull information and opinions oncoming!
I can afford to upgrade, but I always try to get the best value!
Kelly

B

BobbyT

Junior Audioholic
surveyor said:
I think your right!
I've got time though, and I'll evaluate all information from this site before purchasing.
I hope to keep the helpfull information and opinions oncoming!
I can afford to upgrade, but I always try to get the best value!
Kelly
Nothing wrong with getting the most for your money. I'm supposed to pick one up next Sat. Supposed to meaning as of yesterday it has not arrived at the dealer yet, but his supplier is guaranteeing it to be there by Sat. It will be used with a B&K Ref 200.5 amp and Klipsch R7 series speakers. I will be glad to offer any info I can once the unit is set up. I'm also on vacation at that time and plan on spending all of Monday setting up, tweaking, and enjoying. :)

Last edited:
surveyor

surveyor

Audioholic Chief
BobbyT said:
Nothing wrong with getting the most for your money. I'm supposed to pick one up next Sat. Supposed to meaning as of yesterday it has not arrived at the dealer yet, but his supplier is garunteeing it to be there by Sat. It will be used with a B&K Ref 200.5 amp and Klipsch R7 series speakers. I will be glad to offer any info I can once the unit is set up. I'm also on vacation at that time and plan on spending all of Monday setting up, tweaking, and enjoying. :)
Congradulations!
It looks like you'll have a killer system.
:)

RLA

RLA

Audioholic Chief
Hello All
If any of you have questions regarding the RXV-4600 fire away, I just received a couple and
Just put one up on display that I am playing with. I can tell you in a head to head comparison
Vs. the RX-V-2500 the RX-V4600 is a pretty substantial upgrade. The amplifier section in the 4600
Is more powerful than the 2500 much more so than the specification between the two would suggest.

N

Nemo22

Audiophyte
Called one of the local (well not so local) AV shops here in ontario, and was informed that with the strike in vancouver (truck drivers/port authority/etc) there stock is being help up on the docks (all of canada's 4600's apparently, don't know if thats true or not.) :( :(

And there's no ETA on a resolution to that, anyone know of any places within ontario that actually have these in stock?

Does anyone know the CAD MSRP of these units, was quoted a price, but don't have any others to compare it with other then USD MSRPs and prices.

Finally starting to build up my home theater system, will be a Yamaha RX-V4600, Toshiba 62HMX85 DLP 62" TV, and Axiom speakers that i have from my old system. :D Any opinions on this system?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis