Yamaha RX-V4600 Receiver Review Thread

M

Magoo

Audioholic Intern
RLA said:
Hello All
If any of you have questions regarding the RXV-4600 fire away, I just received a couple ...
I sent you a PM regarding my questions; I have a thread over in the Beginners forum ( HERE ). Basically looking for info comparing it to the Marantz 7500 or 8500. I'm building a music-first system for my new house, trying to find the *right* receiver.

Last edited:
surveyor

surveyor

Audioholic Chief
RLA said:
Hello All
If any of you have questions regarding the RXV-4600 fire away, I just received a couple and
Just put one up on display that I am playing with. I can tell you in a head to head comparison
Vs. the RX-V-2500 the RX-V4600 is a pretty substantial upgrade. The amplifier section in the 4600
Is more powerful than the 2500 much more so than the specification between the two would suggest.
Is the pre-amp section or the RX-V4600 also a substantial upgrade from the RX-V2500?
I also noticed that the rating increased in value from the 4 to 4.5 from it's time of release?
Was this a change or the result of a typo?

E

ericlhyman

Audioholic Intern
Any word on availability and price of similar featured Yamaha models with lower power ratings?

N

newfmp3

Audioholic
Well, i think list in canada is 2299.

I "might" have the option to give back the nad I just bought and not totally satisfied with, the t773 to get this. I need to find out how good the built in eq is. the problem with the nad is i can't get the sound I'm looking for so i have to eq it using an external one. I'm using a kenwood 7030 on one source. Read my NAD thread for more.

I wonder if this is worth the hassle to try to switch?

Keep in mind I have 4 ohm m80's, vp-150, and qs8's going on this thing and I am hoping for a all in one solution without external amps. Not looking for insane volumes, just a specific sound.

Last edited:
N

newfmp3

Audioholic
what can I not expect the eq in the yammie to do? I don't want high expectations to let me down yet again. Does it have a PEQ, and GEQ? Is it adjustable by freq? Works for both dolby digital and analog? or is it just a bunch of non adjustable presets?

Oh, I got to say one thing about yamaha, the remotes are some of the ugliest I have ever seen. I can remember 10 years ago saying the same thing. The one thing my NAd does have is an excellent remote.

tia

Last edited:
pinnace0

pinnace0

Enthusiast
I am a total Home Theater Newbie but from my beginners prospective

The addition of an HDMI connection on the RX-4600 is very helpful to Home theater Set-up. The ability to connect a quality receiver using a single digital cable to a Plasma display simplifies many of the issues I was facing. :)

I have one concern. In the "Con Section" of the reivew was the comment:

No analog video up conversion to HDMI

I understand the words, but does this really mean all analog signals (i.e., composite input signal from Cox Cable Box) will not be able to send video via the HDMI connection? If so is it correct to say this would necessitate wiring an additional line (e.g., composite) from the receiver to the plasma screen to allow for Cable TV viewing? :confused:

PINN

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
Yes, that's what it means, although I believe the unit does do analog upconvesion, meaning that composite and S-video get upconverted to Component video. You'd want to run component video to your TV, not composite or S-Video. Obviously HDMI would be the shizzle though, as it's one cable.

B

BobbyT

Junior Audioholic
I picked mine up today :D . Heavy beast. But I won't have time to hook it up until Monday :( . It's going to be a long 2 days.

P

psm2000

Audiophyte
Hi! I am thinking of upgrading to this receiver due to its HDMI and i-link features. I currently use Yamaha RX-V20xx ( I don't remember the exact number) from 5 years back and like it quire a bit. I use a 2 channel external amp with this one. The problem is that when using pre-amp outputs, it disables the Headphone output also. I frequently use the headphones (and not all my components have them) and this feature is important to me. My question is, does the 4600 act the same way? If anyone has it, would you please tell me.
Thanks.

B

BobbyT

Junior Audioholic
psm2000 said:
Hi! I am thinking of upgrading to this receiver due to its HDMI and i-link features. I currently use Yamaha RX-V20xx ( I don't remember the exact number) from 5 years back and like it quire a bit. I use a 2 channel external amp with this one. The problem is that when using pre-amp outputs, it disables the Headphone output also. I frequently use the headphones (and not all my components have them) and this feature is important to me. My question is, does the 4600 act the same way? If anyone has it, would you please tell me.
Thanks.
I'm using a 5 channel ext. amp. I just ran and plugged in the headphones and they worked just fine. You shouldn't have any problems.

P

psm2000

Audiophyte
BobbyT said:
I'm using a 5 channel ext. amp. I just ran and plugged in the headphones and they worked just fine. You shouldn't have any problems.
Thanks for checking this out! It takes me that much closer to making the switch. :)

RLA

RLA

Audioholic Chief
Is the pre-amp section or the RX-V4600 also a substantial upgrade from the RX-V2500?
Hello
I would not characterize the upgrade as substantial; I would say it’s a modest upgrade. The RX-V2500 has a very good preamp section if you consider the new amp section and the new pre-amp section of the 4600 then the upgrade is more than modest ;)

RLA

RLA

Audioholic Chief
I sent you a PM regarding my questions; I have a thread over in the Beginners forum ( HERE ). Basically looking for info comparing it to the Marantz 7500 or 8500. I'm building a music-first system for my new house, trying to find the *right* receiver
Hi
Sorry I cannot say, as I have not installed the Marantz receivers you mention
I will say that the Yamaha RX-V4600 offers allot of performance for the money

M

Magoo

Audioholic Intern
Sorry I cannot say, as I have not installed the Marantz receivers you mention
I will say that the Yamaha RX-V4600 offers allot of performance for the money
In visiting your site, I saw you handle both Marantz and Yamaha. I was hoping you might have some first hand experiences with these particular units.
Would you have some thoughts, in general, regarding the differences one might expect between the Marantz (SR8500) and the Yamaha (RX-V4600)?

We're slated to review the Marantz SR9600 shortly so that will be a good time for us to get a handle on that particular unit and make comments.

B

BobbyT

Junior Audioholic
I've spent a little time with my 4600 up and running today. This is a very nice receiver. The sound quality is incredible. Even running itunes wirelessly to it throught the Apple airport express router. Dark Side of the Moon SACD multi channel almost brought tears to my eyes. I link connected to the right machine has to be heard to be truely appreciated. And the 4600 is definately the right machine.

N

newfmp3

Audioholic
have you played with the eq at all. Just wondering what freq's you can adjust manually?

B

BobbyT

Junior Audioholic
Sorry, I haven't messed with the eq. I'm just enjoying it right now.

A

Aliixer

Audioholic
Itunes

BobbyT said:
I've spent a little time with my 4600 up and running today. This is a very nice receiver. The sound quality is incredible. Even running itunes wirelessly to it throught the Apple airport express router. Dark Side of the Moon SACD multi channel almost brought tears to my eyes. I link connected to the right machine has to be heard to be truely appreciated. And the 4600 is definately the right machine.

How did you hook up the Itunes wireless airport to the unit?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis