Yamaha RX-V2700 & Windows Media Connect

J

jerryyyyy

Audiophyte
Same problem with Yamaha 3800

ok , I finally got this yammi rxv 2700 to work on a wireless network and all my music and net radio is working 100 percent

here is what i did....

hardware selection is important...i tried access points ...but that is not the way to go..

I have netgear equipment...i have a Draft N gigbit wireless server router. for my main hub.

1st thing i did was get an access point. well that did not do too well..

2nd thng i did was get a d link gaming adapter ...well that did not do too well either..it only brings internet to your specific machine but does not bring file sharing wich you need for getting your music to your yammi..

3 rd thing i did . (this works) .was to get a print server with a routing ...because what you want is to have to wireless net working with each other..so i got a wgps606 with 4 ports in the back..plug in my yammi into one of them..

set my yammie to dchp ON....

make sure your mac id..is in the main router...the wpgs606 has two macs. in it a physical one and a wireless one...make sure both is in the main wireless router...after that..it will work...

no more huge long wire in the living room...

hope this helps...

Lemon
I have signed up on this forun to respond to this post and try to get some help.

I have exactly the same problem streaming audio to the 3800 and wasted a lot of time trying to fix it.

The system is a Vista WMP11 service through a Linksys WRT150N Router to a Linksys WET200 bridge to which the Yamaha 3800 is attached on Port 1.

If I attach a laptop to this port I get speeds of 18-24Mbps.

I can see the MAC on the 3800 but when I look in the Linsys router I only see the bridge with its MAC... not separate MAC for the Yamaha....

There are long lists of options on the Bridge admin pages, so wondering if someone might help me try to replicate this connection that worked with the Netgraet on the Linksys system????

J

jerryyyyy

Audiophyte
I've been lurking on this thread as I've been trying to figure out how to make WMP11 perform well with the RX-V2700. I did a fresh install of XP SP2 on a box intended to do nothing other than serve music to the RX-V2700, applied all the MS patches to make it current, installed WMP11 and copied a music library of about 450 CDs to the XP box. I had the same experience as others - slow response, play- artist- and song- lists that sometimes were there, sometimes weren't. And especially frustrating was that a playlist could be empty or show only one song one second, but back out of it and then click back into it and it would have a different result. That result could also be achieved while actively streaming and listening to a song from the WMP11 server over a hard-wired connection, so it doesn't appear to be a connectivity issue.

After reading the posts above, I moved the library to Vista. WMP11 and/or Vista seem to be picky about where the library needs to live (e.g. I could see the playlists and albums when located on my local USB P: drive but would get a connect error from the RX-V2700 whenever I tried to play a song). I moved the library to C:\Users\Public\Music and then it worked as expected.

And as reported above, the PC/MCX GUI on the RX-V2700 works quite well when pointing to the Vista box. If I hold down the up or down arrows, the GUI will effectively scroll a page at a time. It's quick, responsive and predictable in result. It's the one surprising thing I've found Vista actually did better than XP. :)

I don't know what difference in implementation is between WMP11 on XP and Vista, but the results are markedly different for two boxes sitting side by side and hung off the same router. So for now, the library sits on Vista and all is good.

I still have an e-mail into Yamaha on the issue, and would love to see a firmware update that gave the option to pick the first letter of the song or album or artist to jump to -- effectively enter a list at somewhere other than the top or bottom, or the ability to do a page up or page down, but for now the curiosity continues as to why Vista seems to play much more nicely with the RX-V2700 than XP does.

And a couple quick thoughts about why anyone would want to stream music. For us, it was convenience. We unlocked access to all that music that was held hostage in racks of CD jewel cases. Grab a case, switch a disc, open a case and find out the disc was in the car, on the boat, blah blah blah. Now if we want a song, an album, and artist, it's all there under our thumb. We're no longer manipulating physical media, instead we're just enjoying the content. And the CD player has actually been taken out of the cabinet. When we get a new disc, we feed it to the PC, rip, listen, done. It's not for everyone, but it was a big part of why we chose the RX-V2700.
I have the streaming problems and also use Vista but the library is under the name of one user and shared. Do you think it was your move to the public folder that did it? I hate to move all these files. Maybe I'll move a couple and see what happends.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
I can see the MAC on the 3800 but when I look in the Linsys router I only see the bridge with its MAC... not separate MAC for the Yamaha....
Not sure what you mean when you say you can see the MAC on the 3800. From the router's perspective there is no Yamaha device with a MAC address, it only sees the bridge that is directly connected.

If you see the MAC address using ipconfig, it probably discovered it via ARP.

J

jerryyyyy

Audiophyte
Not sure what you mean when you say you can see the MAC on the 3800. From the router's perspective there is no Yamaha device with a MAC address, it only sees the bridge that is directly connected.

If you see the MAC address using ipconfig, it probably discovered it via ARP.
Thanks for responding.

On the 3800 there is a screen of ip info. There it lists the MAC for the 3800. This is differet from the MAC of the bridge, which I can see either from attaching a terminal to the bridge and using the Linksys admin tools, or ipconfig on the PC or the Linksys tool on the PC/attached to the router.

I got from one of the posts above that there was a problem if the PC could not stream to the MAC address of the 3800... at least that was my interpretation of the prior posts. Some very few people get this to work. I am not one of them, but it is not from lack of trying.

I am running Vista and WMP11 on the PC. The 3800 sees the served folder, but eventually gives a connection error. I also have the same problem with a PS3. I do not have this problem with another PC running Vista and WMP11. That one streams the music no problem.

I think this is either or both a MAC address problem or a permissions problem on the music folder.

J

JamesBond

Audiophyte
Would you recommend RX2700

Did you patches to the problems on your Yamaha 2700?. I'm considering buying one but not sure if the network features are worthwhile, my alternative is to simply hook up an IPOD to access my mp3 music collection. Your feedback is much appreciated

J

jerryyyyy

Audiophyte
Did you patches to the problems on your Yamaha 2700?. I'm considering buying one but not sure if the network features are worthwhile, my alternative is to simply hook up an IPOD to access my mp3 music collection. Your feedback is much appreciated
I have a 3800 and suggest that the usual IPOD sampling rate will not sound all that good on this system. For the record, the major problem for me in straming was the wireless network. Directly hooking a laptop with WMP11 to the 3800 gives impecable sound etc.... just cannot get a good signal from the server out to the 3800 40' away with my Linksys equipment. Finally I bought a cheap USB disk to store all my material and that is the solution....

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis