Yamaha RX-V2700 & Windows Media Connect

M

MichaelJHuman

Audioholic
There are some cases where you would not see an OSD. I don't remember the exact restriction. Check the manual those restrictions. Also make sure you have the side selector set correctly, and are not manually selecting a device using that silly LCD thingy on the remote.

L

longe

Audiophyte
To Lemonlib

I'm having trouble trying to wireless network my new 2700. I bought the netgear that you mentioned. I have a couple of questions for you:

1) Did you set it up first using a real printer?

2) I didn't try to set it up with a printer first, but it asked me for an IP address and subnet. I searched on the internet for these numbers, but even when I used these it still didn't work.

I really appreciate your help. If you could give me more details of how you set this up, I'd really appreciate it.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
If you already have a router setup and your machine has been assigned an IP address, you can get it using ipconfig. From a command prompt type: ipconfig

[ipconfig /all will show all of your network interfaces if you have more than one]

It should look something like this:

Windows IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : austin.rr.com
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.4
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1

L

longe

Audiophyte
It was actually asking me for the router IP address! How on earth would I know that? This is what I found, but it didn't work for me (and btw I'm actually pretty good at computers, I was an engineering major in college, although I'm not doing that anymore):

http://www.cups.org/articles.php?L317

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
The router's IP address is the one listed as 'default gateway' in the output of the ipconfig command.

M

MichaelJHuman

Audioholic
That's a great idea, MDS.

FYI, 192.168.0.1 is a common address for home routers. If you are using Apple Gear, they like 10.0.1.1 I believe.

L

longe

Audiophyte
Thanks so far for the help. Ok, so I got the print server on my network. I've gotten internet radio on the system both using the gaming adaptor and also using the print server, so I know it's accessing my wireless network. However, still can't get either one to connect to my computer to get my files. Anyone there have any suggestions? I took down my firewall, networked my computer, and shared the folder with my music, and I also installed windows media player 11 (the Yamaha book suggested that one). Still nothing. I can't get it to find my other computer even though it is on my wireless network. I'm pretty sure I'm looking in the right place -- I'm going to the Net/USB and then to PC/MusicCAST. It just acts like there's nothing there. Since I've never actually tried this on a wired network, I'd like to make sure I'm trying the right place before I play anymore trying to get this to network. Any help you could give would be great.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
The first thing I would do as a troubleshooting step is verify what Windows thinks is shared. You can use My Network Places in XP but I'd rather do it from a command prompt:

1. net view
Will show you all the machines on the network

2. net view \\mediahub
My machine with my music is named mediahub. Substitute your machine name. It should show something like this:

Shared resources at \\mediahub

Share name Type Used as Comment

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Music Disk Music
The command completed successfully.

Here's the catch: 'Music' is the name of the share that actually resides at C:\Music and net view won't show which disc or directory is shared, but at least it shows you that the share is accessible.

3. Now the receiver may have restrictions like only looking for music in certain locations like \Documents and Settings\your_username\My Documents\My Music. You'll have to check the Yamaha manual to see if that is the case. As a test, maybe move one or two files to that directory and see if it can find them.

4. One other thing that I would rate *highly likely*. The default for sharing in XP is 'Simple file sharing'. That means that the only directories that get shared are those under \Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents. Again you could try moving a few files there and see if the receiver can find them. If it can (and doesn't have any restrictions about which directories it will look in as in 3) but you want to use a different directory, then turn OFF simple file sharing: Open My Computer. Click on Tools->Folder Options and uncheck 'Use Simple File Sharing'.

5. Finally you may have to create a special account for the receiver to use to access the shared drive. If the drive has been shared and you right-click on it and select properties, go to the Security tab. Make sure that whatever account is used to access that drive has at least Read privileges.

N

Nestor

Senior Audioholic
longe said:
It was actually asking me for the router IP address! How on earth would I know that? This is what I found, but it didn't work for me (and btw I'm actually pretty good at computers, I was an engineering major in college, although I'm not doing that anymore):

http://www.cups.org/articles.php?L317

When both the router and RXV2700 are set up for DHCP, the router will automatically assign the RX an IP address when everything is connected and turned on. (page 109 of manual for RXV2700)

R

reboren56

Audiophyte
media center problems

I have my RX-V2700 connected to my network and it works great with 2 of my computers but I can't get it to work on the third. It is running XP pro and when I tell it to share media (in 11), it does nothing. It acts as if something is happening but after about a minute the "OK" button turns dark again. The other computers were not a problem. Any ideas to help me here? I have turned off the firewall, virus protection, etc. and no joy.

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
Here's an update of my experiences. I used to share music from my XP Home machine using WMP 11 and I was experiencing the slow navigation and spontaneous dissapearing. I recently bought new hard drives for my Vista PC and now store all of my music on an external drive in WAV format. I now share from my Vista PC using WMP 11. I don't know if it's an XP vs Vista issue or what but navigating my music library from the 2700 is much improved. It responds much faster and it doesn't randomly dissapear.

B

Bill NNJ

Audiophyte
Vista vs. XP

Here's an update of my experiences. I used to share music from my XP Home machine using WMP 11 and I was experiencing the slow navigation and spontaneous dissapearing. I recently bought new hard drives for my Vista PC and now store all of my music on an external drive in WAV format. I now share from my Vista PC using WMP 11. I don't know if it's an XP vs Vista issue or what but navigating my music library from the 2700 is much improved. It responds much faster and it doesn't randomly dissapear.
Interesting. I've long suspected the WMP interface was the source of a lot of the headaches associated with the Yama RX-V2700. However, I will NOT upgrade my music server to Vista. I have two machines (notebook and desktop) set up to test Vista at work and they both have had issues galore.

I did, however, solve my problem. I bought an Apple TV :)

A

axg9504

Audiophyte
Can't connect my RXV2700 to PC

I see threads here around this topic and I'm hoping some one will come up with some guidance. I have the 2700 networked to my Linksys wrt54G using a Logitech Wireless Playlink which is a device that communicates from the ethernet port of the router to the ethernet port of the 2700 using RF. It works because I can listen to Internet Radio. I thereby avoided having to run cable through my house.

My problem is that when I open WMP11 and try to share media on my PC which is connected t to the router, the 2700 does not show up (there are no entries in the 'share media to' dialog). I can see the 2700 in my active dhcp clients table from my router(at least I think that's what the CL-56ECF entry is). When I click on the Server menu in the Y i see a "Server 0/0"

I am running Win XP with Zone Alarm (latest version). I've tried turning ofF ZA. I also have a laptop that's wireless connected with PCCillin Security, same result with it. I have read posts elsewhere suggesting to turn the ports required by WMP in ZA and have done so. No avail.

Help!

E

evenless

Audiophyte
I just purchased the Rx-V2700 and so far so good. I was particularly interested in hard wiring it to my home computer network to stream digitized CD's from a server.
Does this mean the CD's on the server are actually CD quality or is it WAV or MP3? If it's WAV or MP3 I really do wonder why someone would be interested in linking the RX-V2700 to any computer or server, because the quality is usually crap! I think only audioholics would by a Yamaha RX-V2700 because of its audio qualities and therefore NOT being interested in listening to any compressed type of audio.

Personally I think it makes more sence to also buy a Yamaha CDR-HD1500 and upgrade the standard HDD of 250GB to one of 400GB. In that case you will be able to store UNCOMPRESSED audio on the HDD up to around 600 hours!

Anybody has experience with the combination of the RX-V2700 and the DVD-S2700 and/or CDR-HD1500? Any comments are welcome!

Evenless

K

kjbathe

Audiophyte
Vista WMP11 is better for some reason

I've been lurking on this thread as I've been trying to figure out how to make WMP11 perform well with the RX-V2700. I did a fresh install of XP SP2 on a box intended to do nothing other than serve music to the RX-V2700, applied all the MS patches to make it current, installed WMP11 and copied a music library of about 450 CDs to the XP box. I had the same experience as others - slow response, play- artist- and song- lists that sometimes were there, sometimes weren't. And especially frustrating was that a playlist could be empty or show only one song one second, but back out of it and then click back into it and it would have a different result. That result could also be achieved while actively streaming and listening to a song from the WMP11 server over a hard-wired connection, so it doesn't appear to be a connectivity issue.

After reading the posts above, I moved the library to Vista. WMP11 and/or Vista seem to be picky about where the library needs to live (e.g. I could see the playlists and albums when located on my local USB P: drive but would get a connect error from the RX-V2700 whenever I tried to play a song). I moved the library to C:\Users\Public\Music and then it worked as expected.

And as reported above, the PC/MCX GUI on the RX-V2700 works quite well when pointing to the Vista box. If I hold down the up or down arrows, the GUI will effectively scroll a page at a time. It's quick, responsive and predictable in result. It's the one surprising thing I've found Vista actually did better than XP. :)

I don't know what difference in implementation is between WMP11 on XP and Vista, but the results are markedly different for two boxes sitting side by side and hung off the same router. So for now, the library sits on Vista and all is good.

I still have an e-mail into Yamaha on the issue, and would love to see a firmware update that gave the option to pick the first letter of the song or album or artist to jump to -- effectively enter a list at somewhere other than the top or bottom, or the ability to do a page up or page down, but for now the curiosity continues as to why Vista seems to play much more nicely with the RX-V2700 than XP does.

And a couple quick thoughts about why anyone would want to stream music. For us, it was convenience. We unlocked access to all that music that was held hostage in racks of CD jewel cases. Grab a case, switch a disc, open a case and find out the disc was in the car, on the boat, blah blah blah. Now if we want a song, an album, and artist, it's all there under our thumb. We're no longer manipulating physical media, instead we're just enjoying the content. And the CD player has actually been taken out of the cabinet. When we get a new disc, we feed it to the PC, rip, listen, done. It's not for everyone, but it was a big part of why we chose the RX-V2700.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
Glad to hear you finally got it working for you. I just rip my cd's to my computer and since I have the PC hooked up to my tv and running through the receiver, and have a 7.1 soundcard feeding into the receiver via digital coax, I just use the PC to listen to music and don't have to worry about being frustrated by a receiver's media server issues.

K

kjbathe

Audiophyte
Vista/XP WMP11 / Firmware Update for 2700

Updating my earlier post....

Yamaha does have a Firmware Update specifically for the RX-V2700 for WMP11. The update I received from Yamaha is in RX-V2700_FW-Update-0038.zip and contains the RX-V2700_U.pdf instruction file and RXV2700-3800.bin update file. I was nervous at first about applying this update, but after speaking with Yamaha I went ahead with the update and it's pretty painless.

Copy the bin file to the root of a USB drive, follow the instructions provided to get to the correct advanced menu, plug in the USB drive and it goes from there. The process goes through 5 steps with progress and percentage complete displayed on the 2700 as it runs. The update does take 30-45 minutes, but is painless. The tech I spoke with didn't have specifics on what this update does or changes, but said it was specifically for the WMP11 issues and there was a similar update for the N600. I was pleased to see that this update was distributed specifically for the 2700. When complete, your 2700 can be used to view the new firmware version: K052/L047/4.1r. If folks know of other updates or versions, I would be interested in learning what they are.

After the update, I pointed the 2700 at both the Vista and XP boxes. XP still showed a couple empty lists the first time I accessed them, but after that, the results were as expected. I suspect the 2700 was refreshing old information. Performance of XP and Vista were comparable. Lists were populated fully on XP, browsing was quick, holding down the up or down buttons on the remote refreshed the lists a page at at time and switching from one song to the next was quick as well.

In short: The 2700 firmware update solved the issues with WMP11 running on XP and didn't have any noticeable change on WMP11 running on Vista.

One caveat... After the update my YPAO/PEQ settings were returned to the factory settings, so you may need to re-run auto setup or note your settings before you run the update. I don't know if it's possible to save the settings to a memory location before you run the update and/or if that memory location will be refreshed, too, but it's worth a shot. I hope this was helpful.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
Glad to hear Yamaha is still updating and supporting it's products.

S

slothy420

Enthusiast
I've been looking at getting the rxv2700 or the rxv3800, mostly for its network connectivity. There's been plently of talk regarding sending audio from one's computer to the receiver, but will the same work for video?

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
As of now, there are no receivers that can do video. You would have to get a dedicated product for that.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis