K

krisdownunder

Enthusiast
Hi guys I am currently using a pioneer vsx-826 av receiver with jbl L880 towers jbl lc1 centre and a l8400p sub. I do have the jbl surround speakers to go with the rest of the system but don't have them hooked up because I don't the av receiver has enough power to run them all. I am looking at buying the new Yamaha rx-a3070 av receiver. What is other people's thought on my choice of receiver?

E

EBN

Audioholic
A2060 should do the trick for you if you don`t need the extra channels (A3060/70). Also you should get much better deal out of it vs. 2017 models.

Funny thing is when A2050 was measured in bench test 2ch, it put better numbers than A3060. o_O Although probably meaningless, but still quite odd as Yamaha says A3060 is more powerfull on paper (150w vs 140w). :rolleyes: Wondering how close would A1060 come.

A2050 vs A3060 @ 0,1% THD:

2ch 8ohm / 177,6w vs. 159w
2ch 4ohm / 251w vs. 228,7w
5ch and 7ch the numbers were about the same.

https://www.soundandvision.com/content/yamaha-aventage-rx-a2050-av-receiver-review-test-bench
https://www.soundandvision.com/content/yamaha-aventage-rx-a3060-av-receiver-review-test-bench

Last edited:
TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
Outstanding DAC's on the front channels for the 3060 which I am sure have carried over or perhaps been upgraded in this new model. But any model would be an excellent choice!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Hi guys I am currently using a pioneer vsx-826 av receiver with jbl L880 towers jbl lc1 centre and a l8400p sub. I do have the jbl surround speakers to go with the rest of the system but don't have them hooked up because I don't the av receiver has enough power to run them all. I am looking at buying the new Yamaha rx-a3070 av receiver. What is other people's thought on my choice of receiver?
I'd go ahead and try your surround speakers first in any case. You have fairly sensitive mains in any case. How far away do you sit and how loud do you listen? Have you tried using an spl calculator to help determine your needs?

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
These are the DACs for the 3070 -

audiophile-grade 32-bit/192kHz ESS Sabre PRO Premier digital-to-analog converters for 7 main channels.

I'm not sure if they will sound any better then the ones in the 3060. but I would be interested to know myself...

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
Wow- you saying a stereo pre-amp doesn't best the Yamaha AVR in SQ? That's impressive. All I know is I'm enjoying the hell out of the 3060 right now, for music and movies, it sounds tremendous. Your right, they do like to do small improvements with their models. The only other difference I can see between the 3060 and 3070 are a pair of balanced connections and support for Tidal, and Deezer music streaming service. But I can't see either of those meaning much to me right now.

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
No I said the Parasound 2100 pre amp two channel, it has a pass through..it does have some bass management. lolo. Don't confuse to the two..All and do mean all pre amps, are analog..Happy you found happiness with your 3060 enjoy! It is a good unit..
Ahhh, gotcha! LOL, thanks for the correction.

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
HaHaHa!! . I just bought the 3060 in December, and I travel for work, so my time with it is basically limited to weekends. The pick was from a trip to Tampa several years ago. I got a hotel on the beach and decided to live a little between business. I pieced together my entertainment system over the past year. Because it's too damn hot here in Tucson to do anything outside in the summer. Damn I miss Philly.... :eek: At least I can swim when I want to....

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
Smooth man I can dig it, just on the weekends huh?.. So You miss Philly?.. Tampa, never been there, don't believe I would care to...But Philly, yeah I could see myself in the city of brotherly love. One question, is that your first flagship unit?..I had so many unit's can't really begain to tell you if I remember which one really sounded the best. I know I can say this, the best sounding unit is the one you can afford. Right now I got my system up and running with Sting, in the CD player about to slap some vinyl on the TT..be safe on that road...

Mike
Yeah, born and raised in Philly. Moved out here a year ago to be with the girlfriend. Tampa's cool for a visit, but I wouldn't want to live there. I love Philly though, trying to put a bug in my girl's ear to maybe move back to the east coat one day. Many different kinds of food and live music, more to do then here in the Desert. Not knocking Tucson, but it's tough to get used to. And I actually like a little snow and rain every now and then!

This is my first flagship unit. I am coming from a Yamaha RX V2500 that I had for 10 years. It's is my first HDMI capable receiver, believe it or not. I like running all sources through the 3060. Besides my set-up is pretty simple and straight forward. I fretted over buying separates. But I took cost and space into consideration. The separates I was looking at were going to run me over 4k. So I hear you on the affordable part. My work travel ebbs and flows........I am working from home this week, so more listening time for me :D

Sting is always a winner! I have everything the Police ever recorded. Enjoy my friend,

Earl

gotta get me a TT next!

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
Different strokes for different folks bro, the coin's real nice right now, so it's all good. As far as audio expenditure.... I think we can both agree, the sky's the limit. I decided to put a cap on it based on what's reasonable for ME, to spend on this stuff, because I happen to enjoy other things besides audio.
Take care..

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
These are the DACs for the 3070 -

audiophile-grade 32-bit/192kHz ESS Sabre PRO Premier digital-to-analog converters for 7 main channels.

I'm not sure if they will sound any better then the ones in the 3060. but I would be interested to know myself...
The es9026pro has the same THD and DNR specs as the 9016. More like an update than upgrade.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
So probably no noticeable difference in sound you think?
I think there will be no noticeable difference. The 9026 pro supposedly offer more design flexibility that Yamaha likely don't need for their applications.

They do cost $0.5 more for the 8 channel chip, or $1 for two of those. Yamaha buys in volume obviously so they probably pay just a touch more, still I respect the fact that they go for the update/upgrade. They could have stay with the 9016S and save a little.

http://www.shawelectronics.com/es9026pro-8-chnl-new.html

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I think there will be no noticeable difference. The 9026 pro supposedly offer more design flexibility that Yamaha likely don't need for their applications.

They do cost $0.5 more for the 8 channel chip, or $1 for two of those. Yamaha buys in volume obviously so they probably pay just a touch more, still I respect the fact that they go for the update/upgrade. They could have stay with the 9016S and save a little.

http://www.shawelectronics.com/es9026pro-8-chnl-new.html
Or is the value of the marketing more than worth it to have a slightly improved DAC chip at higher cost to be able to say it's a new and better model rather than any actual audible benefits....

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
HaHaHa!! . I just bought the 3060 in December, and I travel for work, so my time with it is basically limited to weekends. The pick was from a trip to Tampa several years ago. I got a hotel on the beach and decided to live a little between business. I pieced together my entertainment system over the past year. Because it's too damn hot here in Tucson to do anything outside in the summer. Damn I miss Philly.... :eek: At least I can swim when I want to....
If you think Tucson is hot, go to Phoenix or Havasu.

Have you been to The Fix? It's a Mac & Cheese place, across from U of A.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
If you think Tucson is hot, go to Phoenix or Havasu.

Have you been to The Fix? It's a Mac & Cheese place, across from U of A.
Ah yes. I live in the Phoenix metro area. We've been enjoying triple digit temperatures for a couple weeks already.

I was just through Tuscon not long ago when I drove to Texas. It's also where I drove to get my first real subwoofer.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
How does one enjoy weeks of triple digit temps?! Let alone that it's only the beginning of June! :eek:

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
How does one enjoy weeks of triple digit temps?! Let alone that it's only the beginning of June! :eek:
You're supposed to hear the word "enjoy" in your head with a sarcastic tone. It sucks and it's only gonna get hotter. Misty (my pooch) and I don't last much more than 10 minutes playing fetch in the afternoon now. Terrible cycling weather, that's for sure!

I spent 20 winters in Pennsylvania. It still beats shoveling snow, dealing with frozen pipes and nasty, dirty, salty snow. Blah.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
You're supposed to hear the word "enjoy" in your head with a sarcastic tone. It sucks and it's only gonna get hotter. Misty (my pooch) and I don't last much more than 10 minutes playing fetch in the afternoon now. Terrible cycling weather, that's for sure!

I spent 20 winters in Pennsylvania. It still beats shoveling snow, dealing with frozen pipes and nasty, dirty, salty snow. Blah.
Yeah, I thought I heard a little bit of sarcasm there :) I grew up in Chicago area, don't miss that kinda winter at all; while I get more winter here in Oregon than I did in the San Francisco area, it's still a much more reasonable level. I really don't want to depend on air conditioning, much rather just open a window or sit outside....

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Yeah, I thought I heard a little bit of sarcasm there :) I grew up in Chicago area, don't miss that kinda winter at all; while I get more winter here in Oregon than I did in the San Francisco area, it's still a much more reasonable level. I really don't want to depend on air conditioning, much rather just open a window or sit outside....
I hear ya, but here I am. it's 108 outside right now as I type... sigh.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis