Yamaha ditches signature orange frontpanel display on new A/V receivers

Should Yamaha go back to Orange frontpanel displays on their A/V receivers?

• Yes

Votes: 54 59.3%
  • No

Votes: 16 17.6%
  • Don't Care

Votes: 21 23.1%

• Total voters
GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
I never gave the display colour any thought at all, until this thread popped up. I guess it doesn't really matter to me....

yettitheman

yettitheman

Audioholic General
It's not even the color that really bothers me, so much as the faceplate makes the display look cloudy, like a 10 year old took ammonia to plastic and wiped it hard with a paper towel.
Blurry, cloudy poop pop-tart.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
It's not even the color that really bothers me, so much as the faceplate makes the display look cloudy, like a 10 year old took ammonia to plastic and wiped it hard with a paper towel.
Blurry, cloudy poop pop-tart.
Yamaha's new "Turd Station Display".:D

T

TommyTom83

Junior Audioholic
By no means am I trying to debate a Yamaha Fan boy or upset anyone, but as far as the old orange display doesn't it look just like the one on the Pioneer Elite receivers? If so whats the big deal, I personally hate the orange on my elite

S

snowghost

Audiophyte
By no means am I trying to debate a Yamaha Fan boy or upset anyone, but as far as the old orange display doesn't it look just like the one on the Pioneer Elite receivers? If so whats the big deal, I personally hate the orange on my elite
I was taken aback when I fired up mine the first time, being used to Yamaha Orange since 1990 on the DSP-E300. But more annoying to me is the OSD when you change Volume--that is to say there is no way to disable it (yet :().

K

k_lewis

Junior Audioholic
For me, I like to have all the component lighting match especially if the components are in a visible location. I think the color switch on Yamaha's part was a prudent marketing decision in order to keep up with today's blue or white colors on most gear. Most probably do not want an orange pumpkin sitting in the middle of everything else glowing blue or white. That's actually a reason I ditched my Theta CB II pre/pro because nothing matched the old school green display on it (which I don't think Theta will ever change- heck they just now released an HDMI board! Late to the party or what??)

That said, if one could get their favorite peripheral gear in the same orange it would actually look quite cool matched up, and I'd of course vote for Yamaha keeping it.

If you rack your gear in a closet, I suppose it doesn't matter what color it is :D

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm baffled by this switch in display color. Yamaha always marched to their own beat and while others adapted Audessy, Yamaha keeps on going with YPAO. Additionaly, put out their own presence and height channels long before Dolby ever put their's systems out. So why the change in color display? Yamaha, if your listening, bring back the warm orange glow that everyone can identify as being Yamaha.

B

Boerd

Full Audioholic
After our comprehensive review of the RX-A3000, and speaking with Yamaha about it, I voiced my disappointment of their movement away from their signature orange frontpanel displays on their latest A/V receivers. To me this was what really identified you had a Yamaha.

Just wondering if anyone else feels this way or if I am being too sentimental. Please vote and comment in this thread.
Yet "another" a-dime-a-dozen look. Disappointing.
Bring back the orange front-panels.

RichB

RichB

Audioholic Field Marshall
Stay blue. I do not need these displays calling attention to themselves.

I left orange behind when I sold the Subaru I bought out of college.
I also find orange hard to read.

- Rich

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
Gene has been knocking Yamaha for changing from orange for years. I like white or blue myself. My EMO uses blue and Oppo white so I'm all set :)

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
If display color is what floats your boat, buy Pioneer Elite. They have orange displays.

A

allargon

Audioholic General
I have a feeling Gene drives a BMW. They still have those hideous orange displays.

RichB

RichB

Mazda also spots orange displays.
also, hard to read.
I prefer the Lexus white.

For HT, off is best. ;)

- Rich

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I find the orange display much easier at night then I do the hideous white or blue/green especially on an extended night time driving. I feel far less eye strain.

RichB

RichB

I find the orange display much easier at night then I do the hideous white or blue/green especially on an extended night time driving. I feel far less eye strain.
Dimmers?

- Rich

gmichael

gmichael

Audioholic Spartan
Wow, Old thread. But I have an RX-V2500 and an RX-A3000 and never noticed the difference in displays. How's that for attention to details? Put me down for, "it doesn't matter."

RichB

RichB

still not the same.... its the stark contrast i have a problem with.
We all have our preferences.

Contrast is the ration of light to dark.
My Lexus dash can be turned down so it is gray and not high-contrast.

-Rich

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
We all have our preferences.

Contrast is the ration of light to dark.
My Lexus dash can be turned down so it is gray and not high-contrast.

-Rich

Yes,,, to each their own ;)

RichB

RichB

Gene,

If you are talking to Yamaha, some other suggestions for improvements:

- An option for a Positive volume scale
- A LFE + Main option that works in Pure Direct mode (That seems to be unique to Denon/Marantz but is quite popular)

- Rich

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis