Yamaha ditches signature orange frontpanel display on new A/V receivers

Should Yamaha go back to Orange frontpanel displays on their A/V receivers?

• Yes

Votes: 54 59.3%
  • No

Votes: 16 17.6%
  • Don't Care

Votes: 21 23.1%

• Total voters
gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
After our comprehensive review of the RX-A3000, and speaking with Yamaha about it, I voiced my disappointment of their movement away from their signature orange frontpanel displays on their latest A/V receivers. To me this was what really identified you had a Yamaha.

Just wondering if anyone else feels this way or if I am being too sentimental. Please vote and comment in this thread.

Nomo

Nomo

Audioholic Samurai
Absolutely, I think the orange makes a statement and stands out from the crowd.

J

Jacksmyname

Audioholic
Another yes here.
I have the RX-V3800 in my main system, and the RX-V2700 in a secondary system.
Something about that orange dispaly that's just very pleasing to look at.
What they have now looks like............
Everything else.

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
Orange is it.

Also loved the orange in wife's G35 coupe.

Kitsum

Junior Audioholic
I'm still using my 10 yo DSP-A1 and love its orange display. A great visual match to my JVC TD-V711 and XL-Z1050, Yamaha TX-1000, all have orange displays. Maybe a switchable color display for white, green and orange would be best.

Matt34

Matt34

Agreed, should have stuck with the Orange. The blue, green and whites are over used.

T

templemaners

Senior Audioholic
Maybe a switchable color display for white, green and orange would be best.
Personally, I can't stand the orange display at all, so I'm glad it's gone.

An option to change the color display, as noted above, would be the best of both worlds...

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
Personally, I can't stand the orange display at all, so I'm glad it's gone.

An option to change the color display, as noted above, would be the best of both worlds...
Yamaha uses a fluroscent display and it is not possible to change colors with a switch. The color needs to be filtered by an overlay optical lense, and can go from an Orange to Green or Blue. If it was an LCD, then the colors could be changed as is done in certain car audio aftermarket products.

Yamaha has used the Orange for many, many years..
However today more brands are using a White or Blue especially for video products and satellite tuners, and the Orange does not match well.
Time for a change..

Just my $0.02... ;)

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai
Everything else.
That pretty well sums it up.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Last edited by a moderator:
3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I miss Yamaha's signature orange display. Nothing else looked like it. Everyone knew from the orange dispkay that one had a Yamaha. Please bring it back and stay away from the "me too" look that everyone else is using.:(

J

JJMP50

Full Audioholic
I'm undecided. I currently am running 2 Yammys, both old..RX-V659 as a prepro in my main sys and an old 5xxxhtr in the den for a stereo setup and I never minded the orange but when I listen to a CD in pure direct, that blue light in a dimly lit room matches the 5 lights on my Emo. And I did stop smoking pot many years ago..:)

WooHoo

WooHoo

Audioholic
Another yes here.
I have the RX-V3800 in my main system, and the RX-V2700 in a secondary system.
Everything else.
I have the same two receivers in my set-ups. I'll miss the orange once I am forced to make an upgrade, but the color of the display would not sway me to purchase a receiver lacking in features and performance. My Emo amp is all about the blue lights and while it may look odd on the rack next to the RX-V3800 my ears are sure color blind!

Last edited:
K

KVH64

Audiophyte
I brought this up with our Yamaha dealer when they switched to white..... and he said the white displays are easier to get and cost less.

I also prefer the orange text display.... The white looks cheap to me.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
After our comprehensive review of the RX-A3000, and speaking with Yamaha about it, I voiced my disappointment of their movement away from their signature orange frontpanel displays on their latest A/V receivers. To me this was what really identified you had a Yamaha.

Just wondering if anyone else feels this way or if I am being too sentimental. Please vote and comment in this thread.
Can you post a picture of the previous orange display?

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
I've never found the orange attractive. Oddly enough, I've never owned a Yamaha either.

N

neelasgto

Enthusiast
I've had 3 Yamaha amps rx-v1000, rx-v3300, and my current rx-z7 and I've always liked the orange display, now the new one look just like a denon imho

J

jst333

Audiophyte
Its funny, I never owned a Yamaha until recently... And I never realized how much I like the Amber displays, easy to read, looks great in dim light. I know its all personal preference, but the new Yamaha's with the new displays look cheap to me. The Orange/Amber has a distinctive High End look.

M

MMD

Audiophyte
I'm on my 2nd Yamaha HT receiver (two channel products for years before them) and while I like the orange I don't much care about the display color.

I want high quality products offering value and ease of use. If changing their display color is important enough for them to make the change then I'll find a way to adapt to a most significant announcement from Yamaha :D

If change is good more change must be better

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis