Would wiring 4 super tweeters per speaker box increase life of tweeters?

Klipschhead302

Klipschhead302

Senior Audioholic
Made my own box for those lowest lows and the finest highs "SSSSS" like I never heard. Just gotta cut some holes for my super tweeters and I'm done! Ha!

View attachment 20404
When I was a kid, I built something just like that in electronics class, they said we couldn't use wood but if we wanted to have music in class we had to figure something out with what he had and we supply the speakers.

I garbage picked speakers from console stereos people threw away at the curb and put them together with 3/4 inch thick cardboard. We built the crossovers using available things in the shop.

They hung on the wall them in electronics class and for what they were, you'd be shocked how a bunch of us teenagers thought they were awesome back in 1976. :)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'll take what the hell was he thinking for 200 Alex.
LOL the speaker designer's name is Alex. They're Wavetouch speakers and he actually seems to have made a going concern based on these....they sell directional cables too, to give an indication of what kind of audio people you're dealing with....but teamed up with Domic's designs who knows how far they could go?

Klipschhead302

Klipschhead302

Senior Audioholic
LOL the speaker designer's name is Alex. They're Wavetouch speakers and he actually seems to have made a going concern based on these....they sell directional cables too, to give an indication of what kind of audio people you're dealing with....but teamed up with Domic's designs who knows how far they could go?
Directional cables.... ok, I may need to pre-warm myself up for this stuff with long islands prior to visiting this thread. :)

D

domic

Audioholic Intern
OK,my fathers computer was broken for number of months but he finally got it fixed so im able to upload pix of my speaker set from memory stick,here dey are-(NOTE-The sperate box to far left is midrange box,2 switches on box were used to switch those 2 10"(woofer) mids on or off but decided to face them to wall(closet) so mids wouldnt sound as loud).Notice the 20 year old 15" sub bass woofers foam broke a bit because i removed them from box number of times,so theres a 2 by 3 there with towel(need to place another one)until i buy a repair kit.Notice super tweeter with tied green wire in one of its screw holes,i was going to tie all above holes with green wire and nail them to 2 by 3s but i'll just screw the tweets into added top 2 by 3s when i get to it,AND gr/bl wires to far left tws were cut to add wires as a freq test and decided on 5000 hz.

DSC00785.JPG

DSC00784.JPG
View attachment 20496 View attachment 20496
DSC00788.JPG
DSC00789.JPG

Last edited:
Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
OK, my father's computer was broken for a number of months but he finally got it fixed so im now able to upload the pix of my speaker set from my memory card, here day are-(notice the 20 year old 15" sub bass woofer's foam broke a bit because i removed them from box number of times, so theres a 2 by 3 there until i buy a repair kit/ Notice the close up of the super tweeter with the tied green wire in one of its holes, i was going to tie all above 2 holes with green wire and nail them to 2 by 3 but i'll just screw 2 2 by 3s on top of each other and then screw the tweets into the top 2 by 3 when i get to it)-

View attachment 20499
View attachment 20495 View attachment 20496 View attachment 20496 View attachment 20497 View attachment 20498
Domic
What a beautiful set of speakers. Now that I can see them, I see why you want to keep them. Thankyou for the fine pictures.

I think we need more efforts to preserve and extend the lives of speakers. You can certainly stand as a role model in speaker "innovation" and restoration.

If you have other projects, photos would be appreciated. I think the photos explain everything.

Klipschhead302

Klipschhead302

Senior Audioholic
I have written several responses and deleted them. It looks like something I cobbled together from scraps when I was 8. I mean no disrespect, but that is a disaster or you're messing with us.... I can't even imagine how that sounds, no scratch that, I would rather hear fighting cats I think.

Klipschhead302

Klipschhead302

Senior Audioholic
Domic
What a beautiful set of speakers. Now that I can see them, I see why you want to keep them. Thankyou for the fine pictures.

I think we need more efforts to preserve and extend the lives of speakers. You can certainly stand as a role model in speaker "innovation" and restoration.

If you have other projects, photos would be appreciated. I think the photos explain everything.
I really wanted to write a post like you did, but my fingers refused to type it.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Domic! I didn't think you'd be back! Thank you for posting those pics. I was dying from curiosity and it looks like I wasn't disappointed. I'll be downloading those for future reference and research. Great job!

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
OK, my father's computer was broken for a number of months but he finally got it fixed so im now able to upload the pix of my speaker set from my memory card, here day are-(notice the 20 year old 15" sub bass woofer's foam broke a bit because i removed them from box number of times, so theres a 2 by 3 there until i buy a repair kit/ Notice the close up of the super tweeter with the tied green wire in one of its holes, i was going to tie all above 2 holes with green wire and nail them to 2 by 3 but i'll just screw 2 2 by 3s on top of each other and then screw the tweets into the top 2 by 3 when i get to it)-

View attachment 20499
View attachment 20495 View attachment 20496 View attachment 20496 View attachment 20497 View attachment 20498
These speakers are glorious! Thank you for sharing.

Fwiw, I've got a pair of old 10" JL W0 drivers that I also had to replace the surrounds on. They turned out good as new, but I did really have to take my time scraping off the old surrounds and centering the replacement surrounds with just the right amount of glue, taking great care in allowing them to dry where they would not be bumped.

Now I see how much my efforts were wasted. I could've just nailed up a 1x1 with a rag and been done. I've really got to learn to work smarter, not harder.

D

domic

Audioholic Intern
It looks like something I cobbled together from scraps when I was 8. I mean no disrespect, but that is a disaster or you're messing with us.... I can't even imagine how that sounds, no scratch that, I would rather hear fighting cats I think.
They sound really good, maby i need to compare the sound to 2 new speaker sets in the same room then i'll know what the difference is, I kept on rebuilding them because the JL woofers are worth it and last decades. Had i used cheap woofers,probably would of bought a new speaker set years ago until twerrrts go then its rebuild(alot of people buy new speaker sets and the twerters,umm tweeters blow eventually even when its a new store bought set. New tweeters i bought should last a long time. OR MABY this gent in the photo knows more about building speakers than me? haaaa-
Would wiring 4 super tweeters per speaker box increase life of.png

Last edited:
Klipschhead302

Klipschhead302

Senior Audioholic
They sound really good, maby i need to compare the sound to 2 new speaker sets in the same room then i'll know what the difference is, I kept on rebuilding them because the JL woofers are worth it and last decades. Had i used cheap woofers,probably would of just bought a new speaker set years ago until twerrts go. New tweeters should last a long time. OR MABY this gent knows more about building speakers than me? haaaa-
View attachment 20504

Right, those JL's are the bee's knees, who needs surrounds when a board will keep them working properly?

D

domic

Audioholic Intern
those JLs are the bees knees,who needs surrounds when a board will keep them working properly?
2 by 3 is screwed on 1 side(so its not too firm or else the woofer would make a crackily sound) with towel kind of fills in the missing foam(will add another) is not a bad add on but i knoe,will buy foam repair kit soon.Wondering how long the glue will hold when surrounded foam are glued on when i buy them? Permanent,3 months or 1 year?? MABY i should start a new thread topic,"would glued surround foam on woofer have longer life than nailed 2 by 3 with towel or stapples?"-jus jokin.Speaker set sounds great or kind of great(woofer may sound slightly numby but it can take it)(and actually if i unwired the mids the tweeter highs become much louder but there'll be no mids so i wont).Lov to have a new($500 to $1000 or $2000?) set next to them to hear what the difference would be.Is this thread the longest craziest thread on this forum?

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
2 by 3 thats nailed on 1 side(so its not too firm or else the woofer would make a crackily sound) with towel kind of fills in the missing foam(will add another) is not a bad add on but i knoe, will buy foam repair kit on ebay. Speaker set sounds great or kind of great but lov to have a new ($500 to $1000 or $2000?) set next to them to hear what the difference would be. Is this thread the longest "crazy" thread on this forum?
I think you might be surprised if you had a thousand dollar set of speakers to compare yours with. You might like yours better though, who knows?

As far as refoaming the one woofer, I read somewhere that a bicycle inner tube, if cut right, will work great as a surround. and since it's rubber it'll outlast your supertweeters probably. Just make sure you use an environmentally conscious adhesive to put it on. You know, lessen your carbon footprint a little more.

Klipschhead302

Klipschhead302

Senior Audioholic
I think you might be surprised if you had a thousand dollar set of speakers to compare yours with. You might like yours better though, who knows?

As far as refoaming the one woofer, I read somewhere that a bicycle inner tube, if cut right, will work great as a surround. and since it's rubber it'll outlast your supertweeters probably. Just make sure you use an environmentally conscious adhesive to put it on. You know, lessen your carbon footprint a little more.
Ummmmm, ahhhhhhhhhhhh.........................ok

D

domic

Audioholic Intern

Thanks but which ever i use, rubber bike tube or surround foam, does the glue hold for years or will the bass shake them loose eventually? (would not even think to staple them to woofer-IM joking).

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks but which ever i use, rubber bike tube or surround foam, does the glue hold for years or will the bass shake them loose eventually?
You'll have to Google it. It was a long time ago. I read that when I was going to refoam my tweeters.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis