Worst speaker you have owned?

jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
These were the worst speaker I have ever owned. I am embarrassed to admit I bought them:eek: I was young and we do a lot of stupid things when we are young.

J

JAR3289

Audiophyte
I would have to say the worst sounding speakers I have ever owned would be the cheap $10 KLH book shelf speakers I got when I was in college.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Personally, I buy speakers that sound best to me. I don't disregard measured response all together. However, if I don't like what I hear from excellent measured speakers, I'm not going to buy them.
Damn straight!

I agree 100%!

Measurements are important to me, but I don't want to have to convince myself that the speakers MUST sound great because they have great specs!

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
Measurements are important to me, but I don't want to have to convince myself that the speakers MUST sound great because they have great specs!
I think if a speaker has good measurements, but doesn't sound good, there's only three explanations:

A) I don't like truly great transparent speakers / music I listen to is more synthetic so it has no natural point of reference anyways
B) The speaker doesn't actually measure that well. The measurements we do know are great but the ones we don't know aren't so much!
C) The speaker is good but something was wrong with the audition setup. Perhaps tube amps were used, or the room measured poorly, or the audition material was not the best reference to use.

And I'd lean towards B being the issue than A or C.

T

tom67

Full Audioholic
I think if a speaker has good measurements, but doesn't sound good, there's only three explanations:

A) I don't like truly great transparent speakers / music I listen to is more synthetic so it has no natural point of reference anyways
B) The speaker doesn't actually measure that well. The measurements we do know are great but the ones we don't know aren't so much!
C) The speaker is good but something was wrong with the audition setup. Perhaps tube amps were used, or the room measured poorly, or the audition material was not the best reference to use.

And I'd lean towards B being the issue than A or C.
.....or the criteria used to evaluate speakers frankly doesnt mean that much for the majority of us.......I started this thread and want to add my Kef IQ 3s to the list of banal, "also ran" speakers that are not worth the price.....

B

Boerd

Full Audioholic
A Sharp made boom-box cassette (tape) player when I was in college.
After a (large) number of beers it really sounded good :)

Last edited:
R

RohitMudgil74

Audiophyte
hi

thanx everyone for posting such a nice stuff.........

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis