Worst speaker you have owned?

T

tom67

Full Audioholic
Mine was a set of Boston CR8s....last American made bookshelf units.....sounded like isolated bricks...horrible cheap looking printed cherry vinyl exterior. Metal grill that was impossible to replace when removed....Had always wanted to own a set of Bostons based on mytique of of 90s and found these at Sound Advice in Florida reduced from $400 to $80, but no bargain. I used them in the garage for awhile, but what a sad product! I put them out at the curb on garbage day a year later and no takers.....

E

evandy

Enthusiast
Mine was a set of Boston CR8s....
A pair of speakers made by SHARP that came with a cheap all-in-one stereo I owned as a young teenager.

These days, I just bought a pair of EMP E55Tis. Can't wait for them to get here.

Cristofori

Cristofori

Audioholic
Mine was a set of Boston CR8s....last American made bookshelf units.....sounded like isolated bricks...horrible cheap looking printed cherry vinyl exterior. Metal grill that was impossible to replace when removed....Had always wanted to own a set of Bostons based on mytique of of 90s and found these at Sound Advice in Florida reduced from $400 to $80, but no bargain. I used them in the garage for awhile, but what a sad product! I put them out at the curb on garbage day a year later and no takers.....
Just be thankful you didn't pay full price for them! :eek:

One of the worst pairs of speakers I've owned (besides the awful junk I had when I was a kid, which doesn't really count) was a pair of vintage Sony U-60 Monitor speakers.

They looked impressive, were heavy and had discreet tone controls with a separate tweeter/midrange and 8' woofers. But they may as well have been mounted to a rusty metal garbage can with holes in it for all that matters, and the woofers distorted and made popping sounds even at what I would consider to be fairly moderate/to loud listening levels with certain types of music. :eek:

They appeared to be in near mint condition, although I thought it was odd that there were no port holes anywhere on the cabinets. After doing some research, I found that these were some kind of "suspended design" or something. Sony should have "suspended" the design altogether! :mad:

The notable lack of ANY info about these particular speakers on the web is a sad testimony to their crappiness! My big Sanyo BoomBox I had in the 80's gave me far more listening pleasure then these things ever could!

I got them as part of a package for $50 at an estate sale with a vintage Yamaha amp (which I sold for $100), and which was the true prize I was after. I considered these speakers as just a freebie. :D

Still, I managed to sell them on Craigslist for $25, so it looks like I did better then you! :D

Last edited:
chris357

chris357

Senior Audioholic
the speakers that come with the all in one from sears(recoed, tuner, and cassette) that my mom bought me when i was like 8 but i didnt know any better back then and i rocked them!!

it was a place to start though

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Sony HTIB. I thought it was alright at the time, but boy was I wrong.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
The garage sale refugees that were all I could afford when I first got into this hobby. The only name brand speakers that I've bought that I disliked were my own fault. A pair a Boston CR57 micro bookshelves. I normally like most BA speakers but I should have realized that even surrounds need to crossover lower than 120hz.

hemiram

hemiram

Full Audioholic
I had some speakers made by ADC that I really liked, but the woofer surrounds rotted out, and my neighbors were selling some large, and very heavy Sony 3 way bookshelf speakers and they sounded ok, outside on their deck, so I bought them for $75, with the intention of buying new woofers or redoing the surrounds on the old ones. The Sony's were nicely finished, with 10" woofers, a fairly big midrange, and a dome tweeter, and they had tone controls for both the mid and tweeter. I have no idea what the model number was, but Pioneer sold a suspiciously similar looking speaker about the same time, with a different grill. It was pretty obvious one of them was rebranded, and I would guess it was the Sonys, as they didn't look like the other speakers they sold at the time, but the Pioneers fit right into their line, looks wise. Whoever made them, they sounded BAD.

They looked good, but they were the definition of "Honkyness", they had a truly honky sound to them, and after some experimenting, it was obvious it was the midranges that were the problem. They sounded bad even when I got another pair of speakers to use as my fronts, and moved the Sonys to the back. So bad I couldnt stand them. After my original speakers sat around for a long time, I decided to do a little experiment, and I took the midranges out of the Sonys and swapped the mids from the ADC speakers into them. The ADC's were a little laid back compared to the Sony's tweeters, but the level control fixed that, and I was very happy with what came out of them. I bought two new woofers and two mids to put back into the ADC's, but I decided to refinish them first. I took them totally apart, got new fiberglass packing and refished one, and one day when I had the second one out on my sidewalk next to my garage drying after I varnished it, some clown stole the empty cabinet! I sold the parts I had left over to some guy and ended up using the empty ADC cabinet as a step to work on my high riding 4x4 truck for almost 10 years.

J

JJMP50

Full Audioholic
I'm not going to count the various junk I've purchased (samsung HTIB for the bedroom:lasted 1 week) or the KLH bookshelves that where not very good but didn't cost very much anyway, but about 15 years ago I saw a pair of Bose 301s (I know, here we go) for sale at CC. Bought them for a 2 channel system in my den using an old Technics stereo receiver. Wasn't impressed but what the hell, I wasn't looking for perfection. My wife on the other hand hated them astheticly so I returned them and picked up a pair of Mirage FRX1s. At the time I'd never heard of Mirage before and was I ever pleased. Those Mirage speakers served me well. Sold them on Craigslist just last year.

J

jamie2112

Banned
My very 1st ones when I was 10 were a set of pioneer with the stereo I got for christmas.I blew them in a week........well what do you expect I was 10!!!!:eek::D

fightinkraut

fightinkraut

Full Audioholic
I suppose the worst speakers I've owned, excluding some rinky dinky Logitech V20 computer speakers, which I still enjoy for their portability, would be BIC DV62SI bookshelves. I had them a few years, and they were modified by Ed Frias, and I did think they were quite brilliant after the mods - for the money, but, they were my first purchase (before my EMP's), and therefor I'll label them the worst I've owned.

But really, they were pretty good. :)

dapack69

dapack69

Senior Audioholic
I would have to say the worst speaker was the Bose center VCS10.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
The worst speakers I went out of my way to buy was the Bose Acoustimas 3 system. Has a passive woofer and two cube sats. I thought the cube sats sounded nice for their size, however the woofer was aweful. I returned it to Circuit City as soon as I could. I was young and didn't know any better.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I owned for a bit pre-owned RCA 12" Sub - It was terrible, making weird noises and useful bass output was almost not-existing. Got it dirt cheap, gave it away later

gmichael

gmichael

Audioholic Spartan
I have Yamaha speakers that came with a HTiB. They are in our bathrooms now.
(Why subject good speakers to all that humidity?)

walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
Corals that I have owned in the early 70's. I think they where as least a 7 way speakers. The crossovers where so bad you could hear when they switched from one driver to the other.

dkane360

dkane360

Audioholic Field Marshall
i bought some terrible no name 80's speakers from goodwill for $10. They were so bad I couldnt even use them for background music while playing pool.

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
The worst speakers I went out of my way to buy was the Bose Acoustimas 3 system. Has a passive woofer and two cube sats. I thought the cube sats sounded nice for their size, however the woofer was aweful. I returned it to Circuit City as soon as I could. I was young and didn't know any better.

After that I think you need to start a thread named The Confessional to purify your acoustic karma.

Thw worst speakers I ever bought were a set of bookshelves that came with a free center from KLH. This was probably 8-9 years ago...they were like $20 and they sounded like Flavor Flav during intercourse.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord

HEY!!!! BOSE SUCKS! At least one person knows why I needed to get that off my chest.:D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis