Windows 10 – Upgrade?

Lulimet

Lulimet

Full Audioholic
W10 on modern hardware with SSDs is silly fast. Have it on my 2014 Macbook Pro and this thing freakin flies. Very impressive so far.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
W10 on modern hardware with SSDs is silly fast. Have it on my 2014 Macbook Pro and this thing freakin flies. Very impressive so far.
That must be it, I know very little about computers but I have a Samsung SSD and some new PSU and now that I switched to 10, it cooks.

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
Same here. MacBook Pros are great Windows 10 machines.

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
My wife uses Quicken for our household finance stuff. It looks like compatibility w/ Win10 is an issue. The Quicken site kinda tap dances around the issue and says something like their latest version "should work". No promises. It's a show stopper for my bride.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
It looks like compatibility w/ Win10 is an issue.
Is Quicken compatibility with win10 is an actual tested by you issue or just something you suspect might be an issue?

I took an old laptop with win7, upgraded to win10. So far every single app (I tested so far) still works fine..

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Trying to switch win10 over to a Sammy SSD to see if I can speed this thing up.

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
Is Quicken compatibility with win10 is an actual tested by you issue or just something you suspect might be an issue?
It is just a suspicion. Before doing the W10 upgrade, my wife was investigating to be sure her critical apps would work. Most app sites clearly state "Compatible with Windows10". However, the Quicken site does not.

My wife searched thru the site, FAQs, forum, etc. She saw the question asked by others, but no direct answer from Quicken. The closest she found was one place where Quicken said their 2015 version, "should work". No mention of earlier versions, and nothing more assuring than "should", when other sites boldly state "will".

Have you tried it? We still have Quicken 2012, and a Quicken upgrade to "should work" probably isn't enough for my wife to jump into Win10 yet.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
It is just a suspicion. Before doing the W10 upgrade, my wife was investigating to be sure her critical apps would work. Most app sites clearly state "Compatible with Windows10". However, the Quicken site does not.

My wife searched thru the site, FAQs, forum, etc. She saw the question asked by others, but no direct answer from Quicken. The closest she found was one place where Quicken said their 2015 version, "should work". No mention of earlier versions, and nothing more assuring than "should", when other sites boldly state "will".

Have you tried it? We still have Quicken 2012, and a Quicken upgrade to "should work" probably isn't enough for my wife to jump into Win10 yet.
I had only 1 computer available, I'd install VirtualBox from Oracle (https://www.virtualbox.org/) (free) Install Win10 evaluation to check if it's compatible before installing it on actual hardware
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/evaluate-windows-10-enterprise

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
Still not sure...
upload_2015-9-13_7-38-30.png

But I did do the upgrade on my Thinkpad w/ Win7 yesterday. Interesting process.

First, it took all day. Seriously. 3Gb download takes a while on my slow DSL. On the first attempt, after a couple hours I got an error. There was a link in the error message. It took me to a clear explanation that said I needed to include three internet IDs in my firewall exception list.

I figured that was probably in Norton, so looked around and couldn't find anywhere in Norton to do it. Then I checked Firefox. Found a place and put the IDs from the error in there. Back to W10 update and restarted it.

Another couple hours and another error. Said it would have to remove Lenovo Rescue & Recovery. I had already read this would have to be done, so said OK... and it restarted.

Another couple hours and got the Oky Doky message... ready to install. Told it OK and it started. Fired up the grill, cooked some hamburgers, ate, cleaned up, and the installation finished... about an hour.

At the first boot, a screen came up touting about a half dozen new and improved things Win10 would do for me. Thankfully I took my time and read them. Just about every one included a statement about sending my data, browsing history, location, etc to Microsoft. It would reset my default browser, music player, movie watcher, etc. There was the familiar NEXT button at the bottom, but hitting it accepted all these things.

In smaller print at the bottom was a "customize" selection. I clicked on that, and it easily let me turn OFF each of the new features. I got 2 or 3 pages of these new offerings, each w/ a NEXT button and a smaller "customize" button. I did customize and turned off everything it wanted to do.

Finished, Win10 came up and looked almost identical to my old Win7. Everything seems to work, and honestly very little effort to get used to new OS so far. Good job by MS.

So my summation is: Plan all day for the upgrade, but it seems to work fine w/ minimal differences in appearance, (if you say "no" to all the new stuff).

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
My experience with windows 10 after running it for a significant amount of time is that it seems to be the most unreliable and unstable operating system I ever faced (I never tried Vista though)

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
My experience with windows 10 after running it for a significant amount of time is that it seems to be the most unreliable and unstable operating system I ever faced (I never tried Vista though)
I've had a fair amount of issues with Windows 10 as well, along with compatibility issues. Not so much with programs and windows 10, but software interacting with each other on windows 10.

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
Really? I can't say I've had any sort of problems with any of my Win 10 installs -- not on my wife's chunky, aging Toshiba laptop or HP quad-core Athlon office desktop; nor on my newly rebuilt HTPC with its MSI PC Mate mobo + 6th gen i3. Sure, getting 10 loaded on the MSI-based system was a bit of a challenge in that I had to toggle an "install mode" setting in the BIOS prior to getting some Intel drivers loaded. But it's been rock stable since. And the ultimate test -- the mother test, Win 10 has passed most impressively. Except for a DSL modem problem, I've not had a single tech support call from my mother since upgrading her computer to 10.

My biggest frustration with 10 is a befuddling issue with a wifi adapter driver on my HP Envy 2-in-1 -- an Atheros chipset, IIRC. It only connects to my work wifi (WPA2 Enterprise) on every other boot. But it connects without fail at home, to my mobile phone's hotspot service, other people's homes, etc. The problem is so limited and so specific that I find it difficult to point to that and claim that Windows 10 sucks, though. It really doesn't. It's profoundly better than Windows 8.x.

My biggest concern with 10 is its default privacy settings -- sharing your telemetry with advertising partners, auto connecting to public hotspots trusted by your contacts, and so on. It's important not to skip through the OOBE (the post-install wizard where you set your name, timezone, etc), accepting all defaults.

Be that as it may, stability is far, far down at the bottom of my list of Win 10 concerns. It just works -- and as others have said, it's fastfastfast on a solid-state boot drive.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Definitely fast, but far less reliable than my Mac, although no issues running in parallels.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
My experience is different. I have been running it on two computers now, and I have to say it is the best Microsoft operating system by far. The only program that caused trouble was ArcSoft. However that program had not been supported for sometime on any platform.

highfigh

highfigh

My experience is different. I have been running it on two computers now, and I have to say it is the best Microsoft operating system by far. The only program that caused trouble was ArcSoft. However that program had not been supported for sometime on any platform.
Did you just perform the upgrade, or download Win10 to a hard drive and format the drive in the computer that will be running it (or create a partition) and loading a clean copy? I have been told several times that Win10 that isn't an upgrade works better and faster.

I did the upgrade to a computer that isn't my main one and I had no problems in the limited time I worked with it, but I haven't tried all of the programs I use, either.

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Did you just preform the upgrade, or download Win10 to a hard drive and format the drive in the computer that will be running it (or create a partition) and loading a clean copy? I have been told several times that Win10 that isn't an upgrade works better and faster.

I did the upgrade to a computer that isn't my main one and I had no problems in the limited time I worked with it, but I haven't tried all of the programs I use, either.
The HTPC was upgraded last fall. The upgrade went fine, and he computer is much more useful because of its native decoding abilities. Picture and sound are better not having to use Adobe Flash.

The other is my new laptop that came loaded with Windows 10.

I also upgraded an older colleagues computer from Windows 8 which he hated to Windows 10 with no issues.

highfigh

highfigh

What software are you using for the AV storage/payback? I received some computers from a client and want to use one for this- I'll need to find some rack ears and some kind of drawer for any discs I'll save but that's less important than the program.

If you have already posted this info in the HTPC section, I can look there.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

What software are you using for the AV storage/payback? I received some computers from a client and want to use one for this- I'll need to find some rack ears and some kind of drawer for any discs I'll save but that's less important than the program.

If you have already posted this info in the HTPC section, I can look there.
I actually don't have a program anymore. I used to like Arc Soft, but it was getting problematic even before the Windows 10 migration. The only game in town is now Cyberlinks Power DVD. According to consumer reports it will not play a lot of Blu Ray discs.

In addition that was my first program that I used when I first built my HTPC running Windows 7. It was awful. The worst aspect was that it was very hard to remove. It left deep hidden tentacles deep in the operating system that caused a lot of trouble. It took my programmer son hours to get all its hidden software off the computer. I'm heavily prejudiced against Cyberlink now and so I have not bought Power DVD again.

So I just use VLC media player and its free. It does not play Blu Ray, but I have a player for those.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

.... The only program that caused trouble was ArcSoft. ....
I have two of their programs from my scanner I had for many years, photobase and photo studio 5.5. Zero issues.
I have a program that didn't work on win 8 but works flawlessly on 10. One reason upgraded laptops and desk tops to 10.
let Microsoft install it on line. Very fast startups, especially on a repeat start up on the same day, 20-30 sec.
So far so good.

Oh, I do have one complaint with pictures landscape or portrait. If you change from one to the other, no auto save unless another program is used and saved.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis