Will this work? Suggestions?

D

drivehard

Audioholic Intern
I have had an MB Quart PWE-302 sitting around my basement for a long time now...just gathering dust. I was playing around a little bit on WinISD the last couple of days, and it looks like I could make a real decent home theater sub out of this thing. I have a 500W monoblock to power it.

Here are the specs.
12"
Qts: 0.54
Vas: 82.8L
Qms: 7.32
Qes: 0.58
Fs 23Hz
Re 3.2Ohms

My best guess shows a ported box about 9 ft^3 and tuned to 17Hz...looks nice and flat. Size of the enclosure is of no concern. Also, it looks like the group delay is pretty decent to below 30 Hz.

Am I missing something? Any reason this won't sound decent?
Thanks,
DH

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
Can you post up your WinISD plots for that box including your port size, length and speeds shown...

That would be helpful....

robot

robot

Junior Audioholic
any idea of the Xmax? i assumed 515 cm^2 Sd and that gives an Xmax of 22 mm with 400 watts. fairly reasonable but better check what the sub is capable of.

D

drivehard

Audioholic Intern
any idea of the Xmax? i assumed 515 cm^2 Sd and that gives an Xmax of 22 mm with 400 watts. fairly reasonable but better check what the sub is capable of.

The sub is no longer in production, and this does not seem to be a specification I can find anywhere. All I can say is it is well built, and the suspension seems capable of quite a long throw.

D

drivehard

Audioholic Intern
I did find a few sites that list xmax between 21 and 22mm. I also found a few sites that list it as low as 11mm...and a few that list it as large as 18mm one way.

robot

robot

Junior Audioholic
to get a rough idea of the xmax you could hook it up to your amp and input a low frequency test tone (if you use your computer as a source winISD can generate tones, or you could make a tone CD). you will be able to hear the onset of distortion.

definitely worth investigating, this could end up being a really nice HT sub if your driver has enough excursion.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis