Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
Maybe I'm getting off easy. I got the receiver, fronts and the sub, now she wants a laptop. That's a decent trade.

J

Jacksmyname

Audioholic
I'm building a new house, which will have the following:
Corian countertops and sink, double wall oven, gas cooktop, raised panel maple cabinets, tile floor and other assorted goodies in the kitchen (which is the size of the flight deck on an aircraft carrier).
Whirlpool in the master bath.
Fireplace.
Central vacuum system.
And other stuff all of which, if I was single and building this house just for me, would not be there.
But, if it makes her happy, then I'm happy. :)
So, my A/V stuff, which makes me happy, is ok with her.
Besides that, this is all my money (we were just married last July). :D

flyboylr45

flyboylr45

Senior Audioholic
Doesn't anyone have a separate "toys" account? Before I got married, my wife wanted to keep all the accounts separate. I wanted them together. :confused: Now, after 4 years of marriage, i tell her I want to separate them and she just smiles and says, I told you so:p So, here comes the separate account. :D

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
flyboylr45 said:
Doesn't anyone have a separate "toys" account? Before I got married, my wife wanted to keep all the accounts separate. I wanted them together. :confused: Now, after 4 years of marriage, i tell her I want to separate them and she just smiles and says, I told you so:p So, here comes the separate account. :D

Yes, just make sure how you divide it. Certainly not 50/50 unless you both make the same amount:D

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Jacksmyname said:
Corian countertops and sink,
Jacksmyname said:
Not cheap:D And, it does get scratched and water not dried will leave a stain ring:eek: And, if you place very hot item on it, lie a hot pot in the sink, it will show. And, if you have a cooktop, it may crack up front over time if the largest burner is up front. Other than this, no worry that granite lost its sealant and stains. :D

other assorted goodies in the kitchen (which is the size of the flight deck on an aircraft carrier).

Lucky you. She must love cooking then:D
Seriously, if she bakes, a lift out and up platform to hold a mixer is great;)

Not for long it isn't ALL yours:D

How is the HT setup???:D

masak_aer

masak_aer

Senior Audioholic
mtrycrafts said:
Jacksmyname said:
Jacksmyname said:
Not cheap:D And, it does get scratched and water not dried will leave a stain ring:eek: And, if you place very hot item on it, lie a hot pot in the sink, it will show. And, if you have a cooktop, it may crack up front over time if the largest burner is up front. Other than this, no worry that granite lost its sealant and stains. :D

other assorted goodies in the kitchen (which is the size of the flight deck on an aircraft carrier).

This cracked me up....a wake up call they call?:D

J

Jacksmyname

Audioholic
mtrycrafts said:
Jacksmyname said:
Jacksmyname said:

Yep. I remember when Corian came out. I was in the P/H/HVAC business for 27 years, so I'm very familiar with these things. Besides, we're both careful people.

Yes, she does.
Good idea. :)

heh heh heh. She never questions my spending. Besides, a LOT of what I spend is for her (you don't want to know how much $$ I've spent on photography equipment for her ;) ).
Besides, I can afford it.

Getting better. Updated some things over the last few months, with more to come when we move into the new place.

gmichael

gmichael

Audioholic Spartan
Jacksmyname said:
Jacksmyname said:

D
Go quartz. Best of both worlds. Just a pinch over the cost of Corian. No need to worry about scratches burns or stains. Hardest of the three.

Last edited by a moderator:
B

bane1202

Audioholic Intern
I'm in the process of replacing my corian counters because of random water stainings around the front vent for my dishwasher and a light scorch mark from a hot pot... I would recommend going for either the granite or quartz although I like the look of the granite more

as far as separating money between husband and wife goes for HT/other goodies I've never thought that was a good idea... it leads to an endless stream of getting equal (cause no one ever will be.. you buy a tv that you both watch and she buys clothes that only she wears etc)... I'm a financial advisor and I've seen so many clients go through a divorce and money arguments seem to be the number 1 point of hostility.. with my wife we each trust eachother to be responsible with the money left over after bills are paid and we've set aside savings.. if either of us wants a big ticket item we mention it to the other and more than once it's saved us from some impulse gotta-have-it purchase because we moderate eachothers excitement...it seems to eliminate any desire for making sure we're even on the dollars we spend because most big ticket items kind of get the joint stamp of approval.. it also helps that my wife is like a couple of yours and almost gets more excited when I buy HT stuff than I do (hell she's been bugging me to buy a xbox 360 so we can play gears of war on the projector)

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
Granite/Quartz/Corian are just the current flavor of the day. Everyone wants something like that to keep up with everyone else and the perception that they 'add value' to the house.

The reality is that in the future they just might be seen as a liability to a future purchaser of your home when there is a new 'must have' counter material and granite is no longer considered cool.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
That sounds like it is spoken by a true owner of Formica counter tops. I have to disagree with you . I have had granite in my last 3 homes and it was a selling point everytime (well the first two; I just bought this one)

Granite/Quartz/Corian are just the current flavor of the day. Everyone wants something like that to keep up with everyone else and the perception that they 'add value' to the house.

The reality is that in the future they just might be seen as a liability to a future purchaser of your home when there is a new 'must have' counter material and granite is no longer considered cool.

Last edited:
M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
That sounds like it is spoken by a true owner of Formica counter tops. I have to disagree with you . I have had granite in my last 3 homes and it was a selling point everytime (well the first two; I just bought this one)
I have no doubt that someone thought granite countertops were a selling point and probably increased their bid for the house - after all most people are financially illiterate.

I looked at another house identical to mine except for the fact that it was in a less desirable location jammed right next to other houses with no view of anything but other houses while mine is across from the 15th hole of the golf course. That house had granite countertops and was priced $30K more than I paid. I could rip out the current countertops and replace them with granite as well as upgrade the tile floors in the entire house for less than a third of the price difference between that house and mine.

Glad it worked out for you but I stand by my statement that it is just a passing fad and a savvy buyer with financial sense wouldn't pay a dime more just to get granite countertops.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
I guess it's in the eye of the beholder. I personally love hardwood floors, marble bathrooms, cranite counter tops and tile kitchens so that's what I get. I have turned over the last two houses at nice profits. I actually downgraded to a smaller but nicer house this time because I sold my house on the 7th hole of a golf course for a nice profit. Now as far as being savy; it would be a lot better to buy homes without and upgrade yourself but I dont have that kind of free time.

I guess since you live down the street from my Dad, the next time I'm in Austin the golf is on you?

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
I guess since you live down the street from my Dad, the next time I'm in Austin the golf is on you?
I'll open the front door and wave to him. :) I have yet to pick up the desire to learn to golf.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
That's sad' it is the best busiess tool I have found or at least that's what I tell my company when I turn in my expense reports...

J

Jacksmyname

Audioholic

Geeze, what did I start here??:eek:
Seriously though, Corian has been around for over 30 years, so I'd hardly call it a fad.
Besides, my wife likes it, and I like it, so it's worth the money.
Kinda like, well, pricey A/V equipment.;)

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Geeze, what did I start here??:eek:
Seriously though, Corian has been around for over 30 years, so I'd hardly call it a fad.
Besides, my wife likes it, and I like it, so it's worth the money.
Kinda like, well, pricey A/V equipment.;)
Not to worry. You didn't start anything. We, some, are just into other things besides audio.:D Good to get other ideas.

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
Here's my 2 cents:

Corian/Avonite: Burns come off with sandaper, you can re-buff, cracks will appear if cut outs were done square and not rounded out. Joint separations and cracks if caught in time can be re-epoxied without a problem. Dark colors have been known to develop whitish haze.

Granite: Oil will do harm if left over time (I've done it for 24 hours with no problems), if you clean up right away no problems, neither will wine stain it, scratches can be buffed out with steel wool, cracks if any can be fixed with "akimi" (Italian compound that smells like Bondo, an epoxy) heat: no problem. Best overall choice. Depending on color price will vary. (My granite installer usually pays between 12-15.00 per square foot slab price, compare that to regular price), also Miami has the best prices in granite in the US, due to the fact that the majority of granite comes from Brazil,and it all comes through here before the rest of the country.

Quartz: I'm installing white quartz in my kitchen in a couple of weeks (very modern) My price is 15.00 per square foot (slab price). Only problem with quartz is machining. It's brittle like glass, and a lot times during fabrication a piece will burst like glass, this is due to quartz composition. It must be cut with a waterjet to insure best outcome. The reason it's expensive is that fabricator will most likely have to buy a replacement slab. Heat and stain resitant to the extreme. China just jumped into the fray, so the market will be flooded soon and prices will come down some more.

I must disagree with MDS, neither granite nor Corian are flavors of the month, I've been spec'ing both for the last 23 years, they're here to stay. The newest kid on the block, quartz, is making slow progress in the market due to it's fabrication requirements. That'll change when market floods.

I check prices through out the US and let me tell you, granite and quartz down here is extremely cheap.

BTW, marble, good only for vanities or walls, floors ok as long it's one of the denser variants.

majorloser

majorloser

Silestone

I put quartz in my kitchen, one my island and on my built-in desk. I love it!
You just can't scratch it. It's heat resistant (can put a hot pot on top). You clean the surface with a razor blade to remove things that are stuck on. It doesn't absorb stains like granite. It cleans up with just window cleaner.

Quartz is more expensive to finish since it is so hard. Corners and finished edges can add up quick.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis