ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
Well this whole "wife support" may come with a hidden price. As you know; mine gave me full support and encouraged me to finish my HT adventure two weeks ago. Now she thinks she can have anything she wants because “I let you buy all your HT stuff”. She made me paint an accent wall in the living room last Sunday (I let you buy all your HT stuff), She purchased all new bedroom furniture (I let you buy all your HT stuff), now she wants two new chairs in the living room (it will really bring out the accent wall and I let you buy all your HT stuff). Holy cow; this upgrade was supposed to just be a little better than my HTIB and now I have a several thousand dollar HT, a few thousand in bedroom furniture, a hundred in paint and paint supplies and no telling what the new chairs will cost. HELP ME!!!!!!

Last edited:
Tom Andry

Tom Andry

Speaker of the House
Fake a heart attack, slip the doctor the money you were going to spend on the chairs to "recommend" rest and relaxation... perferably in front of a good home theater with a minimum of 3 subs.

majorloser

majorloser

I promise to...(blah, blah, blah)...for the rest of my life

They say marriage is a "give and take" form relationship.

It looks like she "Gave" into your desires to have a better home theater and you "Took" advantage of her appearant goodwill. But all guys know that we pay for it ten fold in the end.

I agree with Tom. Fake a heart attack or an injured back before you end up redecorating and repainting the entire house. :eek:

(At the very least, if you have to buy chairs buy one with a built-in massager to take care of all your new found aches and pains).

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
I remember your thread about the upgrade. I also recall she laid down some rules.

Quote - "She also set some new rules and said they were not flexible. No SVS or HSU sub, they were just too big and she would not allow it. No bookshelf speakers for surround; they would go in the ceiling. No delayed purchases from ID companies, everything would be purchased first thing in the morning; IT IS TIME TO FINISH THIS AND START ENJOYING IT. I had no choice but to say ok."

If you need to slow her down, just remind her of her own hard and fast rules and explain that you also have some limitations to stay within. After all, she can't expect you to live with the double standard where she makes all the rules and you make no rules, can she? Maybe she can.

If you're asking for suggestions, this is all I've got. For some reason, her ground rules stuck in my mind. You can lay out your own rules of engagement, so to speak.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
I am ok with everything she is doing; just thought I would complain a little. It is just kind-of funny so I thought I would let everyone know. In the end; the only 'damage" is a nicer house; so I can live with her wants and needs.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
'I let you buy all your HT stuff'. Translation: I let you spend money we shouldn't spend so now I am also going to spend money we shouldn't spend. That way we can both be blamed for our poor financial condition.

See it's a game of one-upmanship. :)

[Of course I have no idea if any of that is true, but couples I know that get into financial trouble do so precisely for those reasons]

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
MDS said:
'I let you buy all your HT stuff'. Translation: I let you spend money we shouldn't spend so now I am also going to spend money we shouldn't spend. That way we can both be blamed for our poor financial condition.

See it's a game of one-upmanship. :)

[Of course I have no idea if any of that is true, but couples I know that get into financial trouble do so precisely for those reasons]
I hear that!

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
I hear that! Luckily we only use our play money for stuff like this so it doesn't upset any of our financials. We purposely set aside this play money for just having fun…toys…ski and SCUBA trips...etc…

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I love my wife... plain and simple.

me - "Honey! I just picked up a 32" LCD TV for our 3 year old's playroom!"

wife - "Great! That'll get him away from my 50" plasma."

me - "I'm spending all weekend hanging the LCD and running component video from the new matrix switcher to the playroom!"

wife - "Hurry up, I want that 400 disc DVD changer to be able to play up there ASAP! Can you also pick up a second HD DVR cable box and tie it in so we can record 4 shows at once?"

me - "Yes dear." ;)

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
BMXTRIX said:
wife - "Can you also pick up a second HD DVR cable box and tie it in so we can record 4 shows at once?"

me - "Yes dear." ;)
My God! My wife just came out with this one tonight while we were deleting recordings to make room for her Thursday night recordings. Apparently 160GB isn't enough!

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
So what you tell her is, you decided to compromise and you want to return the servo15 and get the SVS instead because it will save you money :D

H

HAL9000

Banned
Geez, just slap her on the heiney and repeat after me, "Honey, shut your pie hole and go make me a sammich." :D

J

JKL1960

Audioholic
Maybe you should just slap her around a little until she complies. Show her who's boss.

Oops, wrong century. :p

Some guys find it cheaper to, every five years, find a woman they don't like and buy her a house.

I found, when I was married, that I had to budget double for anything to allow for her 'even up purchase'. I think it is part of the marriage contract. Isn't it?

The fact that your wife is going all out on this one suggests that she thinks you are intelligent enough not to fall for this 'plan' twice.

:D

(The smiley is to indicate that I am in no means a sexist moron. Nor do I play one on TV.)

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
When a woman says yes she really means maybe, depending on how she needs to twist it to her advantage down the pike. I always take my wife's yes with caution, experience has taught me it'll come back and bite me when I least want it to.;)

Unconditional yesses are non-existant in the married universe.

gmichael

gmichael

Audioholic Spartan
My wife and I had an agreement before we started. I had such & such as a budget for my system, and she had the same such & such for what she wanted.:D
Too bad we got the money from selling my Harley.:eek: Oh the pain......:(

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
Sub

Well JG,

I got the chance to try out a PB12-Plus/2 at my house last night and I am keeping the Servo-15. In my opinion the Servo seemed a little better for music (I mainly listen to Jazz) and the Plus/2 seemed a little better for movies. It was really a close call and I wouldnt be able to say there was a hands down winner. If I had to pick one over the other and pay MSRP; I would get the PB. Since I didnt pay MSRP and I already have the Servo...it's a keeper.

j_garcia said:
So what you tell her is, you decided to compromise and you want to return the servo15 and get the SVS instead because it will save you money :D

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah, I felt the DD-15 was better for music than my Tempest also, but since the Tempest cost an obscene amount less, it is a keeper too :)

E

EnzoPolotso

Audioholic Intern
Wait a minute... You can't just say "No, I don't think that's a good idea right now."?

xboxweasel

xboxweasel

Full Audioholic
Just slap her upside the dead. I hate relationships like that. It is supposed to be a give and take relationship. Not a take take take take take relationship. Why not get even. Sell your stuff and all hers too. Now your even again. :cool:

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
Listen Greg it's simple: How much was your system? Tell her she's got the same budget as your system cost. If you take back any equipment to save money, that quantity is shaved off her budget. So you both come in even at the end. Seems equitable.:D

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis