Wife doesn't understand

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I have to say, that couples need to give each other space.

When I first dated my wife my student digs contained a set of fairly large TL speakers. It was always understood that audio would always be part of the equation and would not include bookshelf speakers.

For most of our marriage my wife has not paid much interest, except for budget issues. I have always added gear slowly and kept it going largely, so I have not had to do a lot of replacements, just improvements and added capability.

The advent of AV however was a game changer for my wife. Now she wants all the systems to be able to produce a picture.

Now she says this AV room is her favorite room in the house.

The fact is that it better then a commercial cinema and no hassle.

The other issue is that I have always taken pains to make systems part of the architecture and design.

One thing I do notice is that a lot of women are influenced by loony interior design types, professional and otherwise and the mags.

The fact is there is nothing wrong with the principle of form and function. In fact it is the only solution for enjoyable and pleasurable living spaces.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I understand where she is coming from. I'm at a bit of a crossroads with myself. I am close to 30 and I'm a little frustrated that I seem to dependent on entertainment. I could do something more productive with my time and money than buy stuff.

Home audio is not a good investment, the only reward it yields is leisure and entertainment.
That is only part of the equation though. Through this wonderful technology we have access to great and timeless art. We are able to experience it and have more and wonderful choices by the month and year.

Access to great art is essential to proper development of the individual and an essential spiritual experience for all humanity.

Striving to present great art in finest quality is a laudable goal in and of itself. That is certainly my primary motive in the development and building of fine systems. I regard as part and parcel of the artistic creations being presented.

One of my great mentors Peter Walker of Quad felt that way. He was a fine musician and often seen in the flute section when master works were presented at the Three Choirs Festival.

The thing that really drove Peter was to allow his customers to access great art and doing the least damage to it in the process. His manta as you know was "Quad for the closest approach to the original sound." That was his goal and he meant it to his core.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
That is only part of the equation though. Through this wonderful technology we have access to great and timeless art. We are able to experience it and have more and wonderful choices by the month and year.
I don't disagree.

Access to great art is essential to proper development of the individual and an essential spiritual experience for all humanity.
Again, I don't disagree.

Striving to present great art in finest quality is a laudable goal in and of itself. That is certainly my primary motive in the development and building of fine systems. I regard as part and parcel of the artistic creations being presented.
For some of us there is a point of diminishing returns. Given the situation of many it's simply not logical to pour so much time/effort/money into it. Don't get me wrong, I love to listen to music and watch movies and it pains me greatly to experience it in what I consider sub-par conditions. Some people are content to listen to music and watch movies with the screen and built in speaker on a cell phone. I will never understand how they can bare it.

I don't know the OPs situation so in all fairness I cannot speak to that specifically, I can only relay my personal feelings on the subject. I lack some self control, so that's probably the real problem. I work (not hard) and when I get home the most common outcome is I turn on the television and play a video game, watch programs on Netflix or watch a movie from my personal collection. Often times I'll do more than one of those things back to back and I only stop to get or prepare food and sleep.

You know, as I say that I realize that has little do with the OP, so I'll stop there.

One of my great mentors Peter Walker of Quad felt that way. He was a fine musician and often seen in the flute section when master works were presented at the Three Choirs Festival.

The thing that really drove Peter was to allow his customers to access great art and doing the least damage to it in the process. His manta as you know was "Quad for the closest approach to the original sound." That was his goal and he meant it to his core.
I'd imagine it meant a lot more to him for a host of reasons but mainly because it was his passion and livelihood. Those two factors combined make a compelling argument for him. Someone that would marry him would have to have had accepted that early on. It wasn't just a hobby or past time that served as a distraction for him, it was his life.

-----------------------------------------------------------

To the OP I do think it's worth considering discussing this further with your wife as to what she feels is a more appropriate amount of funds to spend on your home theater / sound system. If we get an inventory of what you already have and how much you have allotted to spend we might be able to come up with a solution that improves your sound system the most of your money and keeping her happy as well.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Home audio is not a good investment, the only reward it yields is leisure and entertainment.
A hobby should be indulged and accepted regardless if its an investment or not as long as one is not opening a 2nd mortgage to support it. Value is not necessarily measured as investment but other intrinsic means such as enjoyment.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I think I'm the luckiest guy here. My wife likes the audio equipment, listens to it with me most of the time, lets me take over a good part of the living room, with the main speakers more than four feet out from the back wall, lets me run cables run all over the place, thinks an 18" sub was an awesome investment, and begged me to set up a separate HT system with a 70" display in a dedicated room (I finally relented and did it). Oh yeah, and she doesn't care for jewelry, fancy purses, or a lot of shoes, but she likes sports cars. Even better, she likes me.
Does she have a, oh say, 30 something year old sister who's into older men?:D

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
A hobby should be indulged and accepted regardless if its an investment or not as long as one is not opening a 2nd mortgage to support it. Value is not necessarily measured as investment but other intrinsic means such as enjoyment.
As long as it doesn't consume the hobbyist. There is certainly a point where one goes too far.

I've gone too far, I know I have.

jinjuku

jinjuku

The other halves can appreciate it. In my wife's office are a set of bookshelf's that I built for her. Plus a BlueTooth receiver feeding a T-AMP.

Her music is in iTunes on her phone and she's happy as all get out. She does Yoga in the AM before work and goes in there and spins up the phone.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis