Why doesn't anyone recommend old speakers?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Didnt the model 3 have them goofy cloth surrounds,kinda like a see through material ??
No idea highfi, I just assume they were paper in the old days. My brother had a pair many years ago and all I remember is how tight the bass was as long as you could force it out with high power Crown, SAE, Phase Linear type of amps (I am sure the old McIntosh could do it too). Their acoustic suspension design resulted in good transients, tight bass and exceptionally low sensitivity. Even the smallest AR7 (7" woofer) offered superb bass response. I wish I could find a pair in good working condition.

dorokusai

dorokusai

Full Audioholic
Dahlquist DQ10....one of Maxim's Top 10 Ugliest Loudspeakers of All Time.

It might be ugly but it's got a cult like following and can sound pretty amazing, even today. I have a pair for safekeeping, just in case the zombies actually take over.

Mark

J

Joe Schmoe

Audioholic Ninja
When people recommend new speakers, they have known availability and price to base the recommendation on. With used speakers, this changes daily.

S

slothy420

Enthusiast
Whats a good price for used Paradigm Monitors?

I'm looking at buying a pair of slightly used Paradigm Monitor 9's (I think they are v.3 or v.4) for about $350 and I'm trying to figure out if that's a good price. I plan to upgrade to something else at a later date (much later if my wife has anything to say about it), but I'm looking for something to tide me over until then. Thanks!

wire

wire

Senior Audioholic
Ok, makes sense.. but I'm not talking 70's here.. just maybe mid 90's on up. Most by then had matching center channels or at least a matching bookshelf for a center. They were also usually shielded, but that's not as important now with dlp, lcd, etc..

It's easy to find reviews on new stuff.. but the older stuff is more difficult. That's the real value of a forum like this - many of you have heard or owned these older speakers and can recommend from experience.. at least as an option to consider when soemone is asking for "best bookshelf under $300", etc.

So as you are recommending the new products, maybe throw in some older products you know that fit the stated requirements or sound preference... any speaker can be found nowadays :)
Shipping is always a issue , but if you can find any local speakers on Craigs list or Kijiji , go for it .
Even go back to the mid 80's , there heavy speakers , but made of Real wood .
If you see any Polk SDA's , they go cheap now days , or some Carver AL III's , Amazings . I remeber that Heco made a hell of speaker back in the late 80's early 90's . Just remeber most of the speakers above are very heavy and shipping willbe expensive .
Im always looking , seen some Heco's lately on Kijiji , but i ask myself , what am i going to do with more speakers .

Last edited:
K

Keyser_Soze

Audiophyte
I'm in the process of updating some of my components and was wondering if my old Klipsh shelf speakers would be ok for rear speakers. I paid $500 dollars for the pair 10 years ago, haven't beat them up at all. Since I'm painting my room in preperation for my upgrade I removed them from there bracket and notice that they weigh a ton (quality build) and look brand new. My room is only 14x12 and I'm considering picking up the Pioneer Elite vsx-94thx or the Yamaha V3800.

I already decided to keep my Mirage M3s for the front. There too nice and expensive to get ride of.

Would I even notice a difference if I purchased the Klipsh RS-52 Surround Speaker or some similar offering. I'm concerned that the sound on my Klipsch speakers won't accurately spread the sound out since they fire straightforward only or am I kidding myself into thinking I really need the shiny new ones?

Thanks

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I'm in the process of updating some of my components and was wondering if my old Klipsh shelf speakers would be ok for rear speakers. I paid $500 dollars for the pair 10 years ago, haven't beat them up at all. Since I'm painting my room in preperation for my upgrade I removed them from there bracket and notice that they weigh a ton (quality build) and look brand new. My room is only 14x12 and I'm considering picking up the Pioneer Elite vsx-94thx or the Yamaha V3800.

I already decided to keep my Mirage M3s for the front. There too nice and expensive to get ride of.

Would I even notice a difference if I purchased the Klipsh RS-52 Surround Speaker or some similar offering. I'm concerned that the sound on my Klipsch speakers won't accurately spread the sound out since they fire straightforward only or am I kidding myself into thinking I really need the shiny new ones?

Thanks
I'd keep what you've got.

I tried out some Klipsch dedicated surrounds once, they didn't sound any better to me.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis