Why doesn't anyone recommend old speakers?

M

mkinder

Audioholic Intern
I read thru most of these recommendations for "budget" speakers, and I rarely see anyone recommend used speakers. Maybe I'm missing some information, but I would much rather have a pair of mid-fi towers that were $1500 new (but after 10 yrs they are $300-400 with a couple nicks or scratches) than a brand new shiny pair of budget towers for $400... Arent' speakers pretty much going to sound the same thru out their lifetime? Assuming they at least are new enough to have rubber surrounds?.. Or should I understand that generally a quality speaker only has 15-20 yrs of good life before it's all used up? Or is speaker technology always evolving and that new pair for 400 sounds as good as the old pair did new @ 1500?

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Because they aren't always available. Now, of someone listed a list of what's avaialble to them asking for the "best", then perhaps one might get some answers. Likewise, many vintage speakers aren't magnetically shielded.

Also. many people prefer to buy new, particularly when it comes to HT where a shielded matching center is a part of the equation. These didn't exist when many "vintage" sopeakers were made.

M

mkinder

Audioholic Intern
Ok, makes sense.. but I'm not talking 70's here.. just maybe mid 90's on up. Most by then had matching center channels or at least a matching bookshelf for a center. They were also usually shielded, but that's not as important now with dlp, lcd, etc..

It's easy to find reviews on new stuff.. but the older stuff is more difficult. That's the real value of a forum like this - many of you have heard or owned these older speakers and can recommend from experience.. at least as an option to consider when soemone is asking for "best bookshelf under $300", etc.

So as you are recommending the new products, maybe throw in some older products you know that fit the stated requirements or sound preference... any speaker can be found nowadays :)

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Again, availaility is an issue. What good would it be for me to say Dahlquist DQ-20's are the best speaker in the world if you can't find a decent pair for a decent price? And, price is variable as well. The more you tend want something the more it's likely to cost.

Again, list what's available to you in your price range and see what responses you get.

Soundman

Soundman

Audioholic Field Marshall
Again, availaility is an issue. What good would it be for me to say Dahlquist DQ-20's are the best speaker in the world if you can't find a decent pair for a decent price? And, price is variable as well. The more you tend want something the more it's likely to cost.

Again, list what's available to you in your price range and see what responses you get.
I agree. I think availability is an issue. I also beieve yo can get more speaker for your money now then you used to. The rise of the ID's may have something to do with it, but i'm amazed at the quality speakers you can get these days. The market is flooded with so many speaker manufacturers that this has caused prices to come down as well, due to competition.

highfihoney

highfihoney

Audioholic Samurai
Alot of times if not most of the time people are afraid of buying used older model speakers,either from lack of experience of buying used,lack of experience in running older/vintage speakers warrenty is a big issue with most,alot of people are also of the impression that older speakers were not properly taken care of,for these reasons people shy away from vintage.

Now my opinion is well known,im with you,i always reccomend buying a pair of 10 year old speakers that when new cost $10,000 but can be bought used for $1,500 as oposed to buying a new pair that costs $1,500 that will be worth $500 in 5 years.

Speaker tech has evolved but in most of the higher end designs from 10 to 15 years ago the cabinet design was up to todays standards,speakers do not have a lifetime,the only things that wear out on speakers are the crossovers & the surrounds,both of which can be rebuilt or redone very cheaply,in some cases tweeters that are liquid cooled can dry up & need replacing,all these are minor issues & nothing to warrant a speaker being labeled as used up.

As i said above, i allmost exclusively reccomend a used speaker in every thread but the issues of warrenty & the care the previous owner took of the speaker comes into play.

G

gus6464

Audioholic Samurai
Most of the time people don't like buying used stuff too. I remember there was a pair of PSB Platinum M2's on audiogon for $900 (2 years old) and I kept linking it in the forums and no one cared. And there was no speaker that they could have bought new for that price that would even come close to them.

Edit: BTW these are some damn good deals going on right now on audiogon

http://buy.audiogon.com/cgia/cls.pl?spkrfull&1203987720
http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/clt.pl?spkrfull&1185720858
http://buy.audiogon.com/cgia/cls.pl?spkrfull&1205443239
http://buy.audiogon.com/cgia/cls.pl?spkrmoni&1205340051

Last edited:
Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
I read thru most of these recommendations for "budget" speakers, and I rarely see anyone recommend used speakers. Maybe I'm missing some information, but I would much rather have a pair of mid-fi towers that were $1500 new (but after 10 yrs they are $300-400 with a couple nicks or scratches) than a brand new shiny pair of budget towers for $400... Arent' speakers pretty much going to sound the same thru out their lifetime? Assuming they at least are new enough to have rubber surrounds?.. Or should I understand that generally a quality speaker only has 15-20 yrs of good life before it's all used up? Or is speaker technology always evolving and that new pair for 400 sounds as good as the old pair did new @ 1500?
:) http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36766&highlight=aci+jbl+infinity

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Used is a market best left to those who know exactly what they are looking for and what they are worth approximately. If you don't have an idea of what they are worth, then finding good used speakers is useless.

A

Antus

Audioholic Intern
availability is the main concern. usually, unless those buy/sell stuff very often, people usually have one set of speaker and use it for very long time.

another thing to consider when buying used speaker is the driver meterial. In my opinion, paper cone just don't hold up as well as other meterial. if you are on the market for some old stuff, pay special attention to the condition of the cone.

my parents had a pair of B&W Matrix 801 series II. they had it for around 12 years by now. the bought it used, previous owner used it for 3-4 years. The speakers have been producing music for a good 15 plus year. the tweeter is alumium, and still sounds ok after 15 years. The mid range is Kevlar, still ok, too. however, the 15inch paper cone is not holding up so well now. after 15 years, the paper is just not going to hold up as good as kevlar and alumium.

S

seansdadj

Audiophyte
KRK is great

I have a pair. They are powered, so you don't need an amp and they have RCA ports, so there is no need for wierd cables. Sound details are crazy. Just go to any music store and ask for them. I have seen people using them next to Yamaha monitors in pro studios

holden_stroker

holden_stroker

Junior Audioholic
i picked up all my audio gear second hand to start with. ebay was my friend.. i had to get it freight 5,000km across australia but it got here :D

..i got my tall sherwood 3-way speakers for $80 + $80 freight... and also included was a double cassette deck, 5disc carousel player, and surround audio receiver, all sherwood :D

i was extremely happy :D

..now i have my Wintal 7.1 receiver, which was $370 off ebay, and new they are $800au. going to start building off that, im not in a hurry so im just watching ebay again for bargains ;)

edit: i also agree with the age thing.. my paper cones on the 8" woofers arent so good anymore, however im not overly worried, you only notice they lack when you really push them, and since im adding a sub shortly i wont have to put as much strain on them.

tweeter and mid and still like new, and the whole thing pump a heck of a lot more than my cousins $700 sony unit :D

A

andytk5

Junior Audioholic
Man I sure as hell recomend finding some great used speakers! But like the other guy said, definitely know what you are looking at. Find out what is used and available for you and ask some of these guys about it on here before you buy. I found some used Mirage M3si's for a steal and did some research on them before I bought them. Granted I got them for a 1/4 of what I see them used for but the new price for these in the 90's was near $3,000+ so they are out there you just need to find them, and sometimes in the most unusual places... Like a pawn shop.... :D:D:D

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
Ok, makes sense.. but I'm not talking 70's here.. just maybe mid 90's on up. Most by then had matching center channels or at least a matching bookshelf for a center. They were also usually shielded, but that's not as important now with dlp, lcd, etc..

:)
i loved the 70's

holden_stroker

holden_stroker

Junior Audioholic
What's Up Australia?

Nice finds on E-bay.
hey not much mate!

find a fair bit of good used gear in aus for sale.. sherwood, denon, yamaha, wintal are the main ones..

deerish, and id love to import from the states as its sooo cheap but most of the dang stuff uses different power to over here.. :(

highfihoney

highfihoney

Audioholic Samurai
Me too, the AR3a was one of the best sounding speakers I know of in those days, except those paper (not really sure) surrounds.
Didnt the model 3 have them goofy cloth surrounds,kinda like a see through material ??

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis