Why does my volume vary?

Good4it

Good4it

Audioholic Chief
When I stream from my Denon x4400h and Pandora why does my song volume vary from one song to the next and then goes backup to the next one?
It never goes up but down and returns to the original volume for the next 1-3+ songs.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'd suspect because recordings aren't all made at the same level and you tend to listen at the level that was the loudest they were made at. You may have a way to level it somewhat with your avr. Some streaming services have a playback leveling feature, too, but don't think Pandora is one of them.

F

flippo

Full Audioholic
Doesn't volume leveling compress dynamic range a bit?

Good4it

Good4it

Audioholic Chief
The previous post that was credited to me was NOT from me so i erased it.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Have you tried using Audyssey Dynamic Volume when using Pandora?

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I did notice Pandora song volumes vary. I didn’t realize other music services were not this way.

Did the Denon Audyssey Dynamic Volume work?

Good4it

Good4it

Audioholic Chief
Checking last night I also got it on Amazon Unlimited. First 2-3 songs play at set volume then next one play’s at reduced volume and then next songs go back to set volume.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Somewhat surprised Audyssey Dynamic Volume didn't help some....or was it just not enough of a change? Spotify does have the sound leveling feature....

Are the tunes that play at lower volume older ones?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Checking last night I also got it on Amazon Unlimited. First 2-3 songs play at set volume then next one play’s at reduced volume and then next songs go back to set volume.
I suspect this is due to differences in dynamic range compression in the original recording used to master the product..

If you compare a wide dynamic range recording with a compressed one, then the higher dynamic range recording will have a much lower average level. If you think about it this is obvious otherwise the higher dynamic range recording would cause clipping.

So the only way a streaming service could avoid this would be to compress all recordings to the same average level. I suspect some do, but this is probably not what you want.

This problem you are experiencing is due to the lamentable technical standards and expertise in the pop recording industry.

The only device that would solve it would be a gated compressor. This would compress everything to the same level and keep the average playback level constant.

I doubt this is what you want, as I suspect it is the quieter ones that are the better recordings technically with better dynamic range.

Good4it

Good4it

Audioholic Chief
Somewhat surprised Audyssey Dynamic Volume didn't help some....or was it just not enough of a change? Spotify does have the sound leveling feature....

Are the tunes that play at lower volume older ones?
no change at all and all the music I listen to are “older” ones.:cool::rolleyes::rolleyes:

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis