Why do you want to own an Assault Rifle?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ATLAudio

ATLAudio

Senior Audioholic
Violence is never limited by law, only impeded
Cliche soufflé, anyone?

There are scores of laws and applicable punishments which are highly effective at limiting criminal activity.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
I can’t see any reason........
OMG, what a misguided response ............

'any maniac or insane person' ??? now your emotions are taking you down the path of a B movie drama queen !

So, what is the 'obvious root cause' ?

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
There are scores of laws and applicable punishments which are highly effective at limiting criminal activity.
Grant, while true there are also scores of offenders that get off way too easy.

ATLAudio

ATLAudio

Senior Audioholic
Grant, for the last time ....you don't get it !!

There are competitive shooting sports designed around such weapons....understood ??

Listen, I know full well the AR-15, while adopted for civilian use was based on a military weapon first and foremost and the fact that the legitimate civilian uses came second but again the fact remains they're there.
“Grant, for the last time ....you don't get it !!”

So you’re not going to answer the majority of my questions because you’d rather slam on the table that “I don’t get it?!” One would think that’s the reason for asking questions, not sure why taking offense!

“There are competitive shooting sports designed around such weapons....understood ??”

I’m pretty sure I never questioned this, but had follow up questions you seem to rather avoid.

I have no idea your point in the last paragraph.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Cliche soufflé, anyone?

And your opinion on revivalism? I've been around the block long enough not to play politics anymore. Just facts . I can't stand a liberal generalized stand on any tragedy.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Cliche soufflé, anyone?

And getting your talking points from parrots isn't the best argument :D

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Cliche soufflé, anyone?

And by your own post, you contradict your response. It's a horrible tragedy, nothing would have stopped it.

ATLAudio

ATLAudio

Senior Audioholic
And by your own post, you contradict your response. It's a horrible tragedy, nothing would have stopped it.
“And by your own post, you contradict your response.”

Explain

“It's a horrible tragedy, nothing would have stopped it.”

LOL Is that what your tell yourself? Please, prove or provide evidence of this definitive claim.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I hauled an m16 on my back for 3 years. I didn't had much choice about it. But now I would like some rifle for target practice. TBH full auto or even semi aren't that interesting. I like shooting guns but not hand guns.

ATLAudio

ATLAudio

Senior Audioholic
And your opinion on revivalism? I've been around the block long enough not to play politics anymore. Just facts . I can't stand a liberal generalized stand on any tragedy.
What, exactly, is a "liberal generalized" stand? A word salad you use as a psychological defense when you can't make a point? You can do better.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
“And by your own post, you contradict your response.”

Explain

“It's a horrible tragedy, nothing would have stopped it.”

LOL Is that what your tell yourself? Please, prove or provide evidence of this definitive claim.
I don't find any part of it laughable. I don't need evidence, history repeats itself. Not sure how I came across aggressive, I was just pointing out the obvious. No law will stop a criminal from committing a crime, violent or otherwise, that they are committed to doing.

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
ATLAudio ... how dare u bring politics into this tragedy? When it was politics that made these types of tragedies possible. Guns don't kill people, people do. An oldie but a goodie. That's some fine moral gymnastics there guys. Good luck trying to find an answer ATLAudio. I recommend a flashlight and an infinite amount of patience.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
As far as better gun control goes, there's room for improvement. We could offer better health care too...we have a good number of mentally ill people, some even in the highest offices of our gubmint. Guns and politics are hardly separable inthis country....

M

Midwesthonky

Audioholic General
Wow! Some aspects of this thread got heated pretty quickly.

I'm going to try to keep politics out of my post and just provide some facts that may help the original poster in his/her question regarding why would someone want to own an assault style rifle.

Today, there are still legitimate uses for rifles. Not if you live in a big city like LA or NYC. But there are legit uses. I remember pulling into my in-laws house a couple of years ago. There was a skunk meandering along the back side of their 6 acres. A recent study up there found over 80% of the skunks in that area were infected with rabies. Not wanting a probably rabid skunk anywhere near my kids, I grabbed my .22 long rifle that I had brought up to sight in the new scope and he grabbed his .22 and away we went. With a new scope not sighted in, I had a very low chance of hitting it but we did get the skunk to leave the area rapidly. Many ranchers, farmers, and land owners use rifles to control for just such issues. You don't want a rabid critter near your horses or livestock. In Texas and other parts of the south, there is a massive problem with non-native wild boars that do a ton of damage to crops, fences, native plants, etc. Wild boars are big, tough, and mean. They will mess you up. So you want to take them out from as far away as you can, hence a rifle.

Ok, so I pointed out some legitimate uses for rifle beyond the basic hunting.

Let's look at the popularity of the AR style rifle. The AR style rifle was originally developed for the military. One of the design aspects of the AR style was the modular design and interchangeability of parts. It's a flexible platform that is easily customized to what you plan to use it for at a very reasonable price. Want to go wild boar hunting? You can set up the AR with a multi-piece scope system that allows you to have a long range scope for an open field distance shot. But there are scope systems that allow for that scope system to be rotated out of the way so you can use open sights or a short scope that is good for short range...as you might find if you were walking through woods in search of wild boar.

A scope that is good for long distance (100+ yards) is typically not good for close up shooting (25 yards or less). A good example is a friend of mine and I were squirrel hunting years ago. It really was just an excuse to go stomping through the woods in fall. Anyway, he had a squirrel run down the tree right next to him. His rifle was set up with a scope. But the squirrel was all of 5 feet from him. He missed because all he could see was brown blur through the scope and couldn't tell squirrel from tree. It's easy to set up an AR style rifle to be flexible for this situation.

The modular design of the AR platform allows for a very flexible system that accommodates a wide range of conditions. Way more flexibility than your typical hunting rifle. Another example is I have a rifle I have set up for deer hunting. It is intended and set up for longer distance hunting such as you would find in the Dakotas or out west where a close shot is 200+ yards away. That's not practical in the midwest where deer hunting shots are typically less than 100 yards. So I would need two different rifles for the two different hunting conditions. With the AR platform, a person would need just one rifle with a few attachments at less total $$ invested.

Another key part of the modular design for the AR platform is it is very easy to change the rifle to fit your body and shooting form. My arm length is different from my brother or my father. Shoulder stocks for the AR platform come in various lengths and also ones that are multi-adjustable. This allows you to adjust how the rifle fits to your shoulder on that given day. With traditional hunting rifles, it's like the old Ford Model T - you can get it in any color as long as what you want is the color black. For traditional hunting rifles, it's pretty much that model comes with that stock. If you need it shorter, grab a saw and start cutting on your brand new rifle. With the AR rifle, you can easily swap out the stock for one that fits you well or is adjustable so you can use it when wearing a t-shirt in summer, or all decked out in cold weather gear for 15 degree F hunting in fall. The adjustments are handy for adjusting to your shooting position: standing, sitting, prone, up-hill, down-hill, etc. Custom and flexible. Are you a left handed shooter? Good luck as almost all rifles are designed for a right handed shooter. The AR platform makes it easier to modify for a left hand shooter.

Another part of the modular design is they can be built in several different calibers, but still have parts that are fully interchangeable. Plus the look and feel of the rifle is the same. Not all hunting rifles are available in the caliber you want. Sometimes, you are choosing a hunting rifle because it fits you well and making a less than ideal decision on caliber because it's not available in your desired caliber. With the AR platform, if you want it in .308 caliber, not a problem. .22LR, no problem.

The AR platform also allows for various barrel lengths and different weighted components to adjust the balance and the weight of the rifle to fit your body and your specific use. Have a disability that makes it difficult to hold up a heavy traditional rifle with your left hand? No problem, an AR can be custom built with a light-weight short barrel and rails to fit your restrictions at a lower cost that a custom made traditional hunting rifle.

I could continue on, but I hope this gives you some insight into why the AR platform is popular. Parts are plentiful, easy to produce, and allows almost infinite customization.

I won't get into magazine capacity. But the fact remains, there are significant parts of our country where you could easily be out for a hike and startle an animal whose reaction is to go on the attack. A walking stick is just going to piss it off. You don't need an AR for walking through Central Park in NYC except at night in dark places but that leads to the question of why are you so stupid as to go walking in dark, hidden places late at night in Central Park. But I can tell you, when I got my ATV badly stuck 2 miles out in the woods in northern Minnesota, the sun was setting and I could hear the wolves howling...I REALLY was wishing I had brought a gun for the long hike out. That was a long, unpleasant hike out. Or that time in Idaho when I startled that mama bear...

R

roadwarrior

Audioholic
Yeah, the horse has pretty much left the barn with the AR being used for civilian use I think but these bump stocks I'm just reading about now. WTF?

I also don't believe civilians should have access to drum magazines and tactical ballistic gear either. Enough's enough on that IMHO.

I feel absolutely horrible for all of those people as well and I think reasonable people should be able to agree on some common sense gun laws but Timothy McVeigh did his evil deed with barrels full of fertilizer, diesel fuel and a moving van. Evil is evil but we shouldn't make it any easier on them if at all possible.

P.S. Yes I believe in the 2nd amendment and yes I'm a life long gun owner but I'm also a human being with a family member carrying a bullet 1 inch or so from their spine due to gun violence from a home invasion so I have mixed feelings as I'm sure many others here do.

Something I don't have mixed feelings about is the inevitable spiritual destination for all these sick twists carrying out these evil acts. I hope they like things .

Sorry, didn't answer the OP's question. Yes I owned an AR for a while. I shot it a few times at the range and at a buddy's farm but I never used it enough to justify the space it took up and I finally sold it to a dealer and bought myself some new speakers instead. I still own firearms just not an AR. Women shooters use them a lot as well due to their reduced weight and ease of loading and charging which is another reason I think they are here to stay for gun enthusiasts.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
First I'm not a liberal far from it. However I don't want to own a riffle and I don't want anyone else owning one either.

And for the record guns do kill people. Yes, its the guns stupid.

Guns are a frightful menace in the home. As a physician I saw countless tragedies from having guns in the home. These also involved our own hospital staff on more than one occasion.

In other jurisdictions including Canada just a few miles north of here mass shootings are very rare. They make guns hard to come by.

Civilized countries make guns hard to come by and certainly don't allow the purchase of riffles.

The US second amendment needs to be written off the books.

The US citizenry needs disarming and fast. That includes the police, who shoot far too many people. One of the root causes of that is that people can wander about this country with concealed weapons. In this part of our state over 40% are wandering around packing heat and that's a disgrace. So that makes cops justifiable fearful and hence trigger happy.

Unfortunately due to the proliferation of guns world wide, some UK police units have to be armed. The average cop on the beat is not, and surveys show they don't want to be armed.

America is a massive outlier when it comes to gun violence, and things are getting worse fast. Attitudes have to change.

I make no apologies about being an extreme hardliner when it comes to disarming the citizenry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis