Who Makes the Best Performing Subwoofers?

Who Makes the Best Subwoofers?

• Axiom Audio

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Elemental Designs

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Epik Subwoofers

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • JL Audio

Votes: 13 10.5%
  • HSU Research

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • Klipsch

Votes: 3 2.4%
  • Paradigm

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • Rythmik Audio

Votes: 18 14.5%
  • SV Sound

Votes: 49 39.5%
  • Velodyne

Votes: 14 11.3%

• Total voters
gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Guys, Listed below are 10 brands to chose from on whom you think makes the industry's best subwoofers. Why only 10? B/C our polling options are limited to 10. I attempted to chose the most recognized brands so please don't reply saying, I wish you would have included brand ZZZ that is a DIY brand not well established or known by the common Audioholic.

Your judgement should be based on measured performance and real experiences with the products first hand (if possible).

Here is a compiled data base of all subwoofers we've measured for your reference but it of course hasn't tested every major sub or brand on the market yet:
http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/subwoofers/78068-audioholics-subwoofer-measurement-data-compilation-report.html

Max output alone shouldn't be the final say. A sub should sound clean even at high output levels. It should perform well for home theater and music as well.

This list is biased mostly towards ID brands but we included a few very well respected B&M brands too.

Feel free to discuss why you chose a particular brand. Also feel free to comment on what you think would improve any of the brands products on this list. Be constructive and kind in your comments. No flames!

Last edited:
billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
Since that poll doesn't include results of the vote...I went with Svs...having experienced them on several levels and having owned their products...but...I would still go DIY over all those option and will likely again for my next sub

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Since that poll doesn't include results of the vote...I went with Svs...having experienced them on several levels and having owned their products...but...I would still go DIY over all those option and will likely again for my next sub
I see the polling results. Anyone else having this problem?

T

tuck0411

Enthusiast
I see 'em. Just not many votes yet. I went with Rythmik based on my brand spankin' new F12, which I'm very happy with so far.

Nomo

Nomo

Audioholic Samurai
I'm seeing the reults just fine.
And I'm using IE.:D

Just thought I'd add that before some one comes up with the Google Chrome solution.:rolleyes::p:D

Rowdy S13

Rowdy S13

Audioholic Chief
I see the polling results. Anyone else having this problem?
I think what he meant is that it doesn't say who voted for what. I'm on Chrome and everything is working fine for me.

I voted SVS

Sean

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
I can't really say. I'm not really qualified to quantify the "best" since I have only heard 4-5 brands on the list. That being said, my SVS PB12-Plus does perform pretty well.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
I can't really say. I'm not really qualified to quantify the "best" since I have only heard 4-5 brands on the list. That being said, my SVS PB12-Plus does perform pretty well.
+1. I'm not following the reason for this poll.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I'd say probably SVS makes best consumer subs (great value & awesome performance) but do they make the BEST subs ever?

Picking the king would hard for me to pick the winner between Velodyne Digital Drive PLUS 18 and JL g213
Neither of these subs have good value, but top notch performance.

In the end I think JL g213 is the King.

annunaki

annunaki

I think there should have been a selection "11" which read: None of these DIY gives the best performance. ;)

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
I voted Rythmik for the raw value of the FV15 in One-Port-Open mode.

If I were buying a commercial sub, I would go straight for a Funkywaves though.

Wayde Robson

Wayde Robson

Audioholics Anchorman
I voted! I love my subs and they've been workhorses for years rocking my media-room. I know they're probably not the very best sub when it comes to numbers etc. but I'm a satisfied customer that would buy the same brand all over again.

Velodyne.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Which Velodyne model are you guys talking about? I voted HSU for Outlaw.:)

N

Nuance AH

Audioholic General
Velodyne is in the lead? Really? Well, to each their own. :)

For me it's either SVS or Rythmik. Since the former has been around longer and really knows what they're doing, I voted for them. If I were to buy right now, though, it would be a Rythmik FV15HP for ported or FunkWave's 15.3 for sealed.

DIY is the path I chose, though.

H

homwerk

Audioholic Intern
I voted SVS. I think Velodyne is great, but they are a little over priced IMO. I agree with Nuance about the FV15HP, that sub is awesome for the price. SVS gets the vote from me for the prices, the super flat curves, the company policies and reputation, and the cylinder sub options. For sealed I would go with the Submersive.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis