Who Makes the Best Performing Subwoofers?

Who Makes the Best Subwoofers?

• Axiom Audio

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Elemental Designs

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Epik Subwoofers

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • JL Audio

Votes: 13 10.5%
  • HSU Research

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • Klipsch

Votes: 3 2.4%
  • Paradigm

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • Rythmik Audio

Votes: 18 14.5%
  • SV Sound

Votes: 49 39.5%
  • Velodyne

Votes: 14 11.3%

• Total voters
jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
Velodyne has the history. I'd liked to have seen Funk on there as well.

I voted for SVS.

F

FirstReflection

AV Rant Co-Host
I had to let a little subjective experience creep into my vote. I go by what I've actually heard for myself. Hearing the SVSound PB13-Ultra (with the Sledge amp) for the first time was honestly just the most impressive bass experience I've had, so that's the way my vote went.

That's not to take anything away from a lot of these other brands though! Rythmik's subs are extremely impressive. I'm partial to their ported subs, myself, but with the right room setup, the sealed subs are superb as well.

I've enjoyed HSU's subs for years - still use the VTF-3 MK2 in my living room :) Gene mentioned about suggestions we might have for improvements? HSU's VTF-15H is a pretty great sub already, but I personally think they could have pushed that lovely 15" driver to better and deeper performance with a higher powered amp and perhaps a differently tuned cabinet. I've a feeling Dr. Hsu didn't want to get into the issues that BASH amps sometimes have when going to the higher Wattage models. It would have up'd the cost as well. But I think the VTF-15H could have been even better for a little higher cost and a better amp powering that driver.

I'd love to see Epik use better amps too. eD as well. eD has switched over to BASH amps for several models - makes sense since they're pretty much the "go to" amps for lower cost and fairly reliable performance.

I'm kinda surprised to not see RBH on the list since Gene and Audioholics are such fans. They're not exactly known for their subs, but the dual 1010 models hold their own rather surprisingly well.

I still use an Axioim EP500 in my bedroom. It was one of the earlier consumer subs to include a lot of DSP control and tuning to keep the frequency response really flat and the distortion under control. Works really well in a smaller space where the "choke" on the really low bass doesn't matter so much since high output isn't needed. I'm no fan of the big EP600 and EP800 though. I don't know if it's a lack of cabinet bracing or oddly high distortion of what all, but the ones I heard had some pretty bad coloration. Given the way Axiom tests their subs, I'm not sure how this is the case. Maybe they only look at raw SPL in their measurements? I dunno. Seems like that kind of distortion should've shown up easily in their measurements.

Anywho, this whole "best" criteria is a little vague, I agree. But I tend to factor price and service and availability into things too. It's why I tend to recommend getting two subwoofer rather than four to most people as well. I'm ALL FOR using four subwoofers if you've got the budget and the space to set them up, don't get me wrong! But in practical terms, it's more often the case that people can afford two good subwoofers and are able to place them in their rooms more easily. You can gain a good improvement in the evenness of the frequency response across multiple seats with two subs. It's better with four, but two gets you some nice improvements. You get more headroom and higher output with two subs. It's just a good compromise when things like cost and placement come into the picture.

So for those kinds of logistical reasons, I really like SVSound at the moment. The Sledge amps are just excellent - really a cut above. For $2000 ($1700 for the PC cylinder version), I don't think you can do much better in almost any metric than what the Ultra subs deliver. So that's how my vote went :)

T

trolly

Enthusiast
I too voted for SVS. I have a pair of Empires downstairs and the new PB12-Plus upstairs and over the years I've owned/auditioned the following in my home.

-SVS PB12-NSD (newest version)
-ML Dynamo (still have this in our exercise room)
-ML Abyss (I liked this little sub a lot but took it back)
-Axiom EP350
-Axiom EP500
-eD A7s-450
-Klipsch XW-500D
-Yamaha YST-SW90 (my very 1st sub :))

The SVS subs are a cut above everything else I've owned both in terms of performance and build quality. I will say however that Chad builds the Empire like a bank vault.

jinjuku

jinjuku

This is such a linear question to a non-linear answer. Are metrics outside of performance taken into account?

I vote for the DIY bang for the buck solution from WmAx and Avaserfi for the Kappa Perfect.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
And Velodyne apparently agrees. They recently lowered the MSRP on the DD18 Plus. Twice.
Velodyne is trying to fulfill a shrinking Brick&Mortor marketplace while also selling online. That is not an easy task and eventually they will have to prioritize on one to be successful. B&M won't tolerate their lowering prices and the Internet model is too well established and competitive for them not to lower their prices. Tough situation.

timoteo

timoteo

Audioholic General
Yes Velodyne needs to come to terms with what needs to happen for them to stay afloat, lower cost per performance. I agree that they make a nice sub. I know this poll is NOT a "what is the best bang per buck?" thread. If that were the case then i would have hands down voted HSU Research!! But since this is a "Best" sub poll, i voted SVS.

I LOVE my HSU subs. In fact im planning on adding a couple more to the bunch. I disagree that the VTF-15H needs a bigger amp. I have read that both the amp & the driver reach their end at about the same point. IF!...that is the case, then a larger amp would make no improvements. From Dr.Hsu's history i dont think he overlooked anything, specially something that big. Still, at half the cost of the PB-13Ultra & real world performance of approx 80% of it, the 15H is a steal IMO!!

Bottom line, if i had $2000 to spend, i would have bought the PB13U. SVS make an incredible product PERIOD!! There is no denying that. Just take a look at their drivers, enclosures & measurements.

I do have to say that i dont feel SVS is the winner by leaps & bounds, no. In fact, i think its a very close race for all listed (except maybe 2 of them). If you were to take the average room these are all in, calibrate the levels & play material at what most people deam "high", i really feel that most would give you an A+ performance. But being the critics we are, it takes more than that. Second place would go to probably 4 of the competitors but i feel SVS takes the cake...butt...by a hair! :) :) :)

Last edited:
S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Yes Velodyne needs to come to terms with what needs to happen for them to stay afloat, lower cost per performance. I agree that they make a nice sub. I know this poll is NOT a "what is the best bang per buck?" thread. If that were the case then i would have hands down voted HSU Research!! But since this is a "Best" sub poll, i voted SVS.

I LOVE my HSU subs. In fact im planning on adding a couple more to the bunch. I disagree that the VTF-15H needs a bigger amp. I have read that both the amp & the driver reach their end at about the same point. IF!...that is the case, then a larger amp would make no improvements. From Dr.Hsu's history i dont think he overlooked anything, specially something that big. Still, at half the cost of the PB-13Ultra & real world performance of approx 80% of it, the 15H is a steal IMO!!

Bottom line, if i had $2000 to spend, i would have bought the PB13U. SVS make an incredible product PERIOD!! There is no denying that. Just take a look at their drivers, enclosures & measurements.

I do have to say that i dont feel SVS is the winner by leaps & bounds, no. In fact, i think its a very close race for all listed (except maybe 2 of them). If you were to take the average room these are all in, calibrate the levels & play material at what most people deam "high", i really feel that most would give you an A+ performance. But being the critics we are, it takes more than that. Second place would go to probably 4 of the competitors but i feel SVS takes the cake...butt...by a hair! :) :) :)
If we are talking about the flat out best sub without taking into account value, then JL Audio g213 is going to own there. A lot of good things have been said about the Elemental Designs A7-900 too. The Paradigm Signature subs look very good too, that Sub 25 has me salivating. SVS offers very high value subwoofers, but they don't have the very best subwoofers period. And there are companies that offer better value flagships then their PB13, like the Submersive and Captivator, and probably the Funk 18" subs. Its a shame Gene hasn't included these businesses in his poll, they do offer some of the best subs money can buy and they deserve more exposure.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
SVS gets my vote too. I'm also shocked that velodyne has as many votes as it does. They make great stuff, but not sure they deserve to be the called the best performing subs.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
SVS gets my vote too. I'm also shocked that velodyne has as many votes as it does. They make great stuff, but not sure they deserve to be the called the best performing subs.
I discovered Velodyne posted this thread on their Facebook page so that is probably affecting the results somewhat.

Last edited:
timoteo

timoteo

Audioholic General
Thanks Gene for posting that info about Velo & their facebook lead gain. I was a little suprised at them being the front runner. They make a decent sub but id never be interested in owning one personally & ive had experience with MANY of their models.

Power in numbers i guess!!! Oh well....

There have been some VERY valid points made about JL that to be honest, id have to agree with. Thats the issue with a poll like this. There is no clear winner...specially when i see who's "in the lead as of now".

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
I can't really say. I'm not really qualified to quantify the "best" since I have only heard 4-5 brands on the list. That being said, my SVS PB12-Plus does perform pretty well.
I have to agree with you on this. The only brands on the list that I've heard before, are Klipsch, Velodyne and Paradigm. And then, it was only the lower end models. So, I'm going to do the right thing and not vote.

L

luben46

Audiophyte
Isn't this poll more a question of popularity? Seems to be the case with Velodyne currently out front.

HexOmega

HexOmega

Audioholic
Isn't this poll more a question of popularity? Seems to be the case with Velodyne currently out front.
You might say that. Quite honestly the site admins need only extrapolate their own review data to answer this question. Unfortunately, although the subwoofer reviews posted here are both highly objective and comprehensive, the data does not range so widely as to accurately represent the majority of the chosen manufacturer's product lineups. That's the entertainment value here: to see how closely the subjective choices of the poll participants reflect the objective measurements of the subwoofer reviews.

hk2000

hk2000

Junior Audioholic
Velodyne for sure! I would put Sunfire up there too but that was not an option.
Also, I would never go for ID brands-- even those that offer a trial period- I'm not sure, but shipping those heavy subs back if I'm not happy with it can be quite costly.
Question: can anyone explain to me why high output capabilities of a subwoofer seem to be all the rage on internet forums? I set My Sunfire HRS-12 at about 11:00 and I measure over 90 db- at that setting its WAY too loud I can hear it from the street. so to me low freq. extention and low distortion beats output levels every time. just my opinion.

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
Velodyne for sure! I would put Sunfire up there too but that was not an option.
Also, I would never go for ID brands-- even those that offer a trial period- I'm not sure, but shipping those heavy subs back if I'm not happy with it can be quite costly.
Question: can anyone explain to me why high output capabilities of a subwoofer seem to be all the rage on internet forums? I set My Sunfire HRS-12 at about 11:00 and I measure over 90 db- at that setting its WAY too loud I can hear it from the street. so to me low freq. extention and low distortion beats output levels every time. just my opinion.

1) You're missing out on a lot of quality products then.

2) Depending on the subwoofer, you can easily have high output along with deep extension and low distortion. Regarding why output seems to be "all the rage" - obviously some people want a lot of output for whatever reason. Maybe they just really like bass. Maybe they have a very large room. Maybe they have a lot of parties. There are countless reasons why people would want more output.

A

apple916

Audiophyte
Same here. Of the subwoofers that I've heard in both the budget and high end ranks, my ears keep coming back to Velodyne.
Count me in to. I've tried Hsu, paradigm, polk. but something about velodyne's I just like.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis