Which TV should I buy

B

bsf

Audioholic
I'm planning on buying a TV within the next 4 weeks...
Budget is 2k - 5k
I would also buy a projector; TV 65-75'; 75 ideal

basement; room is 16'x14' with being about 13' from TV

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
Have you considered a DIY project? You can save a ton of money by building your own TV.

Sent from my LG-VS980 using Forum Fiend OSP v1.3.3.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
Projection would be awesome for a basement, but because its a basement and not a regularly used living room, do you need to have one or the other TV/Projection?

You can do a lot with $5k, including both options...

B

bsf

Audioholic
I don't need to have one or the other.. Whatever gives me most bang for the buck
Ideally 2500-3500 is my budget but would go over

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
A 120" screen plus a Sony HW40ES projector will be about $2,300. Plus cabling + mount. If you don't have surround sound, then adding audio will be some cost. If you really AREN'T handy, then installation will cost some as well.

A projector tends to be a bit more than a flat panel, but 120" diagonal is a typically accepted screen size, and works well with a 13' viewing distance. You could even go up to around 133" or so diagonal if the room fits it.

Front projection takes more effort to setup than a flat panel, but the end results best what most movie theaters can produce. No, not joking. Not even close. Anyone who has a decent front projection setup will swear how impressive it is, and will tell you that home theater can't happen using a 70" or 80" TV... You need a 100"+ screen and a decent room.

So, use a bit of budget to paint the room dark so it's more theater like. Get some directional lamps to keep light off the screen so you can have some friends over and navigate the room. Then the projector screen combo.

Throw in a good remote control so the family can use it and you are all set!

B

bsf

Audioholic
the
Sony VPLHW40ES is $2500 on amazon, plus id need screen

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
How far away are you sitting from your screen? At 13' away, a 120" to 134" diagonal is typical. In the last 15 years doing this, I am confident in telling people what size they should be using. So, you have to trust that a 100" diagonal is small if you are viewing from 13' away. If you like sitting in the 'middle' of a typical movie theater, then a 120" diagonal would appear identical to that experience, bring the movie theater to your home appropriately and would not cause any eye fatigue or viewing issues at all.

The Sony HW40ES is the best projector under $3,000 on the market.

I would personally pick it up from an unauthorized, but decent reseller, then get a Square Trade warranty on it. If you aren't comfortable with that, then it's routinely on sale for $2,000 all over the place.

For example:
http://www.niceelectronics.com/prodinfo.phtml?id=864&ref=google&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cse&gclid=CLeA6LLF6scCFVOQHwodJ7EIgg

This place has the HW40ES for $1,530. You can pick up a Square Trade four year warranty on it for about $200, which means you get an additional year of coverage for under $1,800 on that projector.

Or wait for it to go on sale for $2,000. It will be on sale everywhere when it goes on sale, and sales happen every couple of months it seems like.

You can pick up a Silver Ticket 120" screen for under $300 online.
http://www.amazon.com/STR-169120-Silver-Ticket-120-Diagonal/dp/B00CYLOTPK/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1441822239&sr=1-1&keywords=silver+ticket+120

Just like you linked above, but 120" instead of 100". Do NOT get a 100" screen if you are sitting 13' from the screen.

B

bsf

Audioholic
I'll be sitting either 15' or 12' depending on how I set up the room.. Most likely 12'

Thank i was leaning towards the vizio 75" but after learning all this... I might go with what you suggest

even though you getting a much bigger screen, i can't imagine the HW40ES is better quality the the vizio M series

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I have no idea. One may be considered 'authorized' pricing, the other would not be. Sony won't honor warranties from any below MAP pricing sellers. But, that's why you would want a Square Trade warranty.

You can find similar deals all the time just by searching Google. It's the way I would likely buy because it saves the most cash while delivering the best value and the Square Trade warranty protects me in case there is an issue with the projector.

B

bsf

Audioholic
based off of my room, I just don't think I have the room for a projection

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
based off of my room, I just don't think I have the room for a projection

I COMPLETELY disagree! I had a buddy with a similarly sized basement theater. I don't recall the exact screen size, but slightly more than 80". And WHAT a difference that made! I believe he was using an Epson 8345 and it was a wonderful experience!

You are not going to find a TV that size that delivers the same experience for movies and gaming, for such little money!

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
If your room is 16'x14' then that's VERY typical for home theater setups and I would agree that you really should be putting a projector into that space. I would even consider rotating the room 90 degrees to put the screen on the 16' wall to get more width from the viewing and seating areas. Stick with a 110" to 120" screen if you can.

Not sure what your exact concern is, but keep in mind there isn't necessarily a rush to judgment if you are buying the home, you will have some time to make some different considerations.

B

bsf

Audioholic
We don't have any TVS in the house... currently watching everything on a 27" iMac

but the wife doesn't want a projector because she doesn't want to watch shows on it.. she wants a TV (70" to be exact)

B

bsf

Audioholic
If the TV is placed on the wall to the right, its 12' viewing; problem is that little window above. The wall in front is 15' (Entertain system is coming out) But behind is is water pipes would will be a bit of problem when mounting a tv or projector.

Attachments

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Unlike flat panel displays, projection screens can be mounted in any number of ways which allows them to be removed easily. Since they hang, like a picture, and only weigh 15 or 20 pounds, they are easy enough to put up and remove.

For a window, by example, you could hang the screen several inches in front of the window. You could still put light blocking shades/curtains up on the window, and it would only be partially covered by the screen, but when you wanted to use it, you could cover the window, and when not in use, you could open the curtains and get some light into the room.

Same with pipes, which could have the screen floated in front, then take the screen down should any service work need to be done in just a matter of seconds.

This space you have really is ideal for a projection setup in many ways.

If you want to keep the size down some, then the LG PF1500 may be worth consideration. It is LED driven and can handle a 110" or so screen without much issue. It turns on/off nearly instantly and should last you for about 10 years with normal use.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I'd get a TV. I love projectors, but they are a lot more work than most folks are willing to deal with. Unless you are actually a techie owning a projector isn't a good investment IMO. My room is tiny and I have a projection based system so I don't think room size is an issue. For me it's a matter of maintenance and setup. A TV requires you to drive to the store buy it. Drive home set it on the shelf and plug it in.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis