Which TV should I buy

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
That's true, but a projector, once setup, is no different than a TV connected to a surround receiver. It should always be used with a good remote control, but you still are just powering it on and off, and that's all you should need to do once it's setup.

I have a motorized screen, a projector on a lift, along with all of my sources... But, to come in and watch cable I pick up the remote and press the button that says 'CABLE' and that's all I need to do.

A TV will typically have terrible sound on it, so you still would want the surround system and the rest.

Still, it's nice to just set it on a table and walk away. But, if you own a home, and you are putting in the effort to make a space a really nice 'home theater' area, then the extra time spent to really set up what is needed to make a really nice home theater is well worth it. I mean, while 70" sounds big, it's about half the size of what a theater would deliver, and may cost the same amount of money overall.

B

bsf

Audioholic
I basically have it narrowed down to
UN65JU7100 65"
Vizio M70-c3 70
Vizio M75-c1 75
Sony VPL HW40ES projector

B

bsf

Audioholic
That's true, but a projector, once setup, is no different than a TV connected to a surround receiver. It should always be used with a good remote control, but you still are just powering it on and off, and that's all you should need to do once it's setup.

I have a motorized screen, a projector on a lift, along with all of my sources... But, to come in and watch cable I pick up the remote and press the button that says 'CABLE' and that's all I need to do.

A TV will typically have terrible sound on it, so you still would want the surround system and the rest.

Still, it's nice to just set it on a table and walk away. But, if you own a home, and you are putting in the effort to make a space a really nice 'home theater' area, then the extra time spent to really set up what is needed to make a really nice home theater is well worth it. I mean, while 70" sounds big, it's about half the size of what a theater would deliver, and may cost the same amount of money overall.

So based off my room what screen do you suggest?

tmurnin

tmurnin

Full Audioholic
One other consideration - and this may not apply in your case. If you are at all concerned about home resale value, most realtors will tell you that dedicated home theater rooms are not a good idea. 10 years ago they were all the rage but now many buyers see them as a waste of space and a room that has limited ability to be anything else. If you know you won't be selling the home anytime soon, it probably doesn't matter.

B

bsf

Audioholic
thanks.. but I'm not really making a home theater room, its just a basement thats going to have an HT... nothing like what you see on HT of the month

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
So based off my room what screen do you suggest?
I'm not sure what the final dimensions will be with usable wall space, but I generally recommend 10" of diagonal for each foot of viewing distance. 10' eyes to screen, get a 100" diagonal. 13 feet? Get a 130" diagonal.

You also need to pick room wall, ceiling, and floor colors. The darker the better, then add MORE lights to compensate if you would like to. Anything other than white is the mantra, and you can do nice colors on walls/ceiling and really cut down on reflected light issues.

But, a white screen is still the way to go in most setups. Unless you intend to watch critical viewing (movies) with the lights on all the time, then a white screen is the way to go. They work well with sports, and some ambient light, and add more punch to general viewing than grey screens. Grey screens used to be far more important with lower contrast projectors that weren't as bright, but the Sony has better contrast and more light output than we had ten years ago, and will work well.

The Silver Ticket 120" screen is a great entry level choice to try out...
http://www.amazon.com/STR-169120-Silver-Ticket-120-Diagonal/dp/B00CYLOTPK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1442504809&sr=8-2&keywords=120+inch+screen

or the Elite SableFrame series...
http://www.amazon.com/Elite-Screens-Sable-120-inch-Diagonal/dp/B00Y7XA2OA/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1442504809&sr=8-6&keywords=120+inch+screen

I like Carada screens, but they are getting to be a fair bit overpriced for what you are getting. Still, much better build quality from them, just not needed in most situations.

B

bsf

Audioholic
Im basically going to get the Vizio M or a projector..
probably this projector Epson 5030

B

bsf

Audioholic
Since I'm still waiting and deciding what ti BUY i mine as well wait to see if vizio comes out with the new P series

B

bsf

Audioholic
any suggestions on what to get at this point (not going with a projector and no new P series)

CSnyder

CSnyder

Audiophyte
There's a similar thread about this, look for "What Size Screen or Television Do I Need?". It is a good read.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis