Which speakers do you like better - why?

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
I just compared the AA's to the $560 Ascend 340's. I'm sure the Ascends could blast me out of the room better, but at reasonable levels, the AA's simply have more detail (and more bass to boot)!!!
I had been thinking of the AA's as an outstanding ~$200 speaker, but I have had to rethink that after comparing them to the Elac UniFi, the Ascend 340, and Energy RC-10.
Of the speakers I have heard, the Sony Core comes close (but not the bass), but it is the EMP 41Bse that is the closest priced speaker that I clearly like better (but the 4" 41Bse's lack bass and have a lower max SPL). Unfortunately EMP/RBH no longer sells this speaker. I think they went for around $450 to $500.

You know those speaker the press keeps talking about being as good as speakers that cost 2-3 times as much? I think they mean they compete with crappy speakers costing 2-3 times as much. The AA's actually compete with quality speakers costing 2-3 times as much!
Recently a member on another forum went through a similar path with auditioning several speakers in home and the Elac's did not fair well. I believe he compared the 170+340 and opted for the 170 in the end... because he could not distinguish the added cost vs. the ability to play louder for sake of a bigger room.

Ps: Don't think he had the DM designs on hand ...but by your accounts they're a very nice speaker and appropriately named Affordable Accuracy...:)

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
I have owned the Sierra 2. Upgraded to the RAAL towers. I also own their CMB-170E.
All three speakers are fantastic. I wish I had never sold the Sierra 2. In fact, I am going to purchase them again in the near future. Dave is fantastic to deal with too.
I would never hesitate to suggest AA to anyone. Ever..

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis