which speaker is good on classical music?

Status
Not open for further replies.
WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
I went to this site and was generally impressed by this idea (I've certainly seen some very expensive speakers focus on some of the same things).

I disagreed with some of his criticisms about forward-firing loudspeakers (he fails to understand ears), but it wasn't too bad. Then I got to "Don's Views".

It's hard to take these speakers seriously when the creator(?) is so adamantly trying to correct for patently false claims. I'm tempted to start a rant on his rant.

(one quick example: It is indeed quite possible to create stereo well from monoaurial recordings of insturments. In fact, the same algorithms used to ray-trace light work qite well in sound. )
I have not read the stuff printed on the site. I recommended the product itself, not the ramblings of the company. Most companies have worthless ramblings, FWIW.

-Chris

F

fredk

Audioholic General
louisgce.
You have a bit of a challenge ahead of you finding the right speaker for classical music.

In general, you want a speaker that has the flatest a frequency response available for the price (on and off axis), decent bass extension, and low distortion. Given the general lack of good independant measurements thats not always an easy thing to find.

The following link is a good starting point:
http://www.soundstageav.com/speakermeasurements.html

If you want to educate yourself further, there is also a lot of good reading in teh education section of this site.

As someone else mentioned, PSB does a better than average job for the money and you can see that in the measurements for the T45 in the link above. Axiom Audio (my personal favourite) also does a good job. The M60, which is slightly above your budget is reviewed favourably and was in one of the audioholics reference systems for quite a while. Though there are no measurements for the M60 at the site above you can look at the measurements for the M22 and M80 v2 to get an idea of how the line performs.

I think there are some RBH speakers (under a different brand) that may be worth looking at too and there are others.

In the end, you need to pick some music you are very familiar with and go audition lots of speakers. For ID brands like Axiom you can usually find someone locally who is willing to audition them if you visit the manufacturers site.

Good luck with your search.

L

louisgce

Enthusiast
wow...... plenty to read of. Look like I would need to start from zero again. I had call a few dealer about morrison, but it seen nobody carry the brand.:(

Thanks all for the kind recommendation. It look like the jamo's are not a suitable speaker... personally I'm attracted by the look, anyway the sound are more important to me.

F

fredk

Audioholic General
Just because they are not mentioned does not mean they are not good. I personally don't know anything about them. Do an internet search and see what comes up.

On another note, I choose sound qulaity over looks every time. You may decide that looks are as, or more important than sound.

Take what you read here as guidance for additional speakers to listen to, but in the end you need to go with what you like best.

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
wow...... plenty to read of. Look like I would need to start from zero again. I had call a few dealer about morrison, but it seen nobody carry the brand.:(

Thanks all for the kind recommendation. It look like the jamo's are not a suitable speaker... personally I'm attracted by the look, anyway the sound are more important to me.
Morrison is an internet direct dealer. I do not believe you can find these at any brick and mortar store.

-Chris

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
louisgce.
You have a bit of a challenge ahead of you finding the right speaker for classical music.

In general, you want a speaker that has the flatest a frequency response available for the price (on and off axis), decent bass extension, and low distortion. Given the general lack of good independant measurements thats not always an easy thing to find.

The following link is a good starting point:
http://www.soundstageav.com/speakermeasurements.html

If you want to educate yourself further, there is also a lot of good reading in teh education section of this site.

As someone else mentioned, PSB does a better than average job for the money and you can see that in the measurements for the T45 in the link above. Axiom Audio (my personal favourite) also does a good job. The M60, which is slightly above your budget is reviewed favourably and was in one of the audioholics reference systems for quite a while. Though there are no measurements for the M60 at the site above you can look at the measurements for the M22 and M80 v2 to get an idea of how the line performs.

I think there are some RBH speakers (under a different brand) that may be worth looking at too and there are others.

In the end, you need to pick some music you are very familiar with and go audition lots of speakers. For ID brands like Axiom you can usually find someone locally who is willing to audition them if you visit the manufacturers site.

Good luck with your search.
Axioms offer no special qualities that would lend them to realistic reproduction; at least not of which I am aware. There are some RBH speakers with unusually good crossover/drivers - but mediocre resonant cabinets - as is the case with almost all speaker systems, unfortunately. Some of the Paradigm S series speakers seem to have unusually good off axis performance characteristics. Some of the Infinity Primus speakers have incredibly high quality drivers also - though nothing special in terms of treble dispersion - and again - mediocre cabinet systems as is par for the course. There is a very low cost speaker that actually exceeds any in it's price range - and any that cost even 3-4x as much - in terms of some critical characteristics that determine sound quality for human auditory purposes. That would be the super cheap $130/pair Behringer B2030P; a most unusual low cost speaker with off axis response that is very similar out to 60 degrees, even up to 15kHz. The speaker also has very good crossover/driver combination that is pretty linear - even has a slight treble curve fall off (important according to multiple perceptual researchers) and very good water fall curve demonstrating good energy decay of the driver set.

Instead of making recommendations on common monopolar speakers, I am recommending specifically, decent omnipolar speakers and appropriate room placement/acoustics for this type - as this will provide for far more realistic sound reproduction of stereo recordings as compared to traditional dispersion patterm monopolar speakers(the dispersion pattern has very limited potential in this regard) - provided the set up/acoustics are set up properly. Since this listener is primarily interested in classical music(and most people on this site do not have this as a primary interest - and this is why I rarely recommend omnipolars on here), I presume he wants something better than is typical for realistic acoustic reproduction characteristics(most people on this site, I believe, don't even have a reference of what realistic acoustic sound is like).

The Ohm/Walsh speakers recommended by someone else are another option - but these are true omnipolar speaker. They are not omnipolar in the critical treble band, and in effect, very thin monopolar speakers are actually omnipolar in much of the mid-band. Mirage is another option - but Mirage's reasonably priced speakers offer standard resonant cabinet systems - which is even more of a big deal in omnipolar applications that attempt to use the room reflections to their advantage. As you may know, resonance increases in audibility in situations where the room contribution is higher. A double-edge sword: this is beneficial when the resonances being enhanced are those on the recording itself - that is - the resonances responsible for timbre in voices and instruments; but this is bad when the speaker cabinet has significant resonances - this same situation now enhances the audibility of these cabinet problems.

Also, I did lay out specific minimum acoustic conditions that have to be met in the original poster's room lay out to even use a true omnipolar speaker to any advantage. If the poster can not meet these minimum requirements/suggestions, then he should actually not consider an omnipolar speaker - thus looking for a speaker with a controlled directivity as being more suited to his application instead.

I have extensive knowledge(at least compared to any normal audio enthusiast) of the founding perceptual research in regards to measured speaker behaviors and how they are perceived by the human auditory system in relation to specific acoustic environments; as this is required for my main hobby: speaker design/research.

-Chris

Last edited:
3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Instead of making recommendations on common monopolar speakers, I am recommending specifically, decent omnipolar speakers and appropriate room placement/acoustics for this type - as this will provide for far more realistic sound reproduction of stereo recordings as compared to traditional dispersion patterm monopolar speakers(the dispersion pattern has very limited potential in this regard) - provided the set up/acoustics are set up properly. Since this listener is primarily interested in classical music(and most people on this site do not have this as a primary interest - and this is why I rarely recommend omnipolars on here), I presume he wants something better than is typical for realistic acoustic reproduction characteristics(most people on this site, I believe, don't even have a reference of what realistic acoustic sound is like).
That last statement is very bold coming from you. I've attended many a classsical concerts ranging from full blown orchestras to chamber music.

When I listen to a concert, I listen very carefully to how the instruments sound and I keep finding that the PSB speakers I recommend are tonal very accurate with good resolution.

JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Samurai
There is a very low cost speaker that actually exceeds any in it's price range - and any that cost even 3-4x as much - in terms of some critical characteristics that determine sound quality for human auditory purposes. That would be the super cheap $130/pair Behringer B2030P; a most unusual low cost speaker with off axis response that is very similar out to 60 degrees, even up to 15kHz.
http://www.behringer.com/B2030P/index.cfm?lang=eng

A possibly great, possibly awful pretty genereic designed small-footprint loudspeaker (it lists its low as 75Hz, but doesn't mention what the db cutoff was for determining that). Do you have a frequency response chart.

Instead of making recommendations on common monopolar speakers, I am recommending specifically, decent omnipolar speakers and appropriate room placement/acoustics for this type -
I'm gonna translate "omnipolar" as "omnidirectional", and call it quite impossible. Unless you have a spherical speaker whose emitter is on the outside and for which all of the non-emitive parts are on the inside (including the speaker wire) you will always have a framework as a baffle in some directions.

Further: the speaker you pointed out is a pretty conventional shape/design. It is a rectangle with 5 sides of wood, and some cones in front. Certainly not capable of emitting in all directions in similar manners. Not that I think omni-directional is good.

as this will provide for far more realistic sound reproduction of stereo recordings as compared to traditional dispersion patterm monopolar speakers(the dispersion pattern has very limited potential in this regard) - provided the set up/acoustics are set up properly. Since this listener is primarily interested in classical music(and most people on this site do not have this as a primary interest - and this is why I rarely recommend omnipolars on here), I presume he wants something better than is typical for realistic acoustic reproduction characteristics(most people on this site, I believe, don't even have a reference of what realistic acoustic sound is like).
Ahh yes, the holy grail of "realistic"... bouncing it around your room.

I suppose that's why you can't get accurate reproduction from headphones... no bouncing.

Oh wait: you get excellent reproduction from good headphones.

People hear like they see: volume and time. The whole stereo thing boils down to how loud a sound is in one ear vs the other and when it is heard. A recording studio sounds different than a concert hall because of the ecchos.

So obviously we need to bounce it around my listening room? Obviously, if you want to sound like you are listening to it in your listening room. The ecchos are already in the original recording, as is the positioning. Bouncing the sound around the room won't make that concert hall recording sound like it's in a concert hall: it will make it sound like a concert hall in a listening room.

Assuming a good source, accurate reproduction is about *eliminating* things that add to the music. Except for the inability to move enough air for you to feel sound pressure: headphones actually represent the bset in depth of field and accuracy... unfortunately they have a very small sweet-spot.

I have extensive knowledge(at least compared to any normal audio enthusiast) of the founding perceptual research in regards to measured speaker behaviors and how they are perceived by the human auditory system in relation to specific acoustic environments; as this is required for my main hobby: speaker design/research.
And as a hobbiest, you disagree with many of the professionals who build speakers differently from how you think they should be built.

The plethora of entirely different takes on what represents ideal sound from those who build speakers for a living is enough to make "I build speakers" contra-indicitive of truth.

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
Oh wait: you get excellent reproduction from good headphones. People hear like they see: volume and time. The whole stereo thing boils down to how loud a sound is in one ear vs the other and when it is heard. A recording studio sounds different than a concert hall because of the ecchos. So obviously we need to bounce it around my listening room? Obviously, if you want to sound like you are listening to it in your listening room. The ecchos are already in the original recording, as is the positioning. Bouncing the sound around the room won't make that concert hall recording sound like it's in a concert hall: it will make it sound like a concert hall in a listening room. Assuming a good source, accurate reproduction is about *eliminating* things that add to the music. Except for the inability to move enough air for you to feel sound pressure: headphones actually represent the bset in depth of field and accuracy... unfortunately they have a very small sweet-spot. And as a hobbiest, you disagree with many of the professionals who build speakers differently from how you think they should be built. The plethora of entirely different takes on what represents ideal sound from those who build speakers for a living is enough to make "I build speakers" contra-indicitive of truth.[/QUOTE] did they change the title of the thread to why headphones are better than tradional speakers:rolleyes: DejaVu here:eek: Chris is/has always been a very helpful contributor to these forums and he is usally spot on. smells phishy here

J

jamie2112

Banned
Phishy for sure, it is starting to smell a little bit......

C

cornelius

Full Audioholic
Hey 3db - This is one of the big reasons why I think the Ohms are so incredible - the tweeter is really a super-tweeter, and doesn't come into play until around 8k (the xover is just a very simple lo pass filter).

The original Ohms had full range drivers, but over time, a tweeter and ports were introduced to make them easier to drive. So, today's models benefit from a design that lends wide dispersion and a crossover-less mid-range, which just works so well with acoustic music. I always hesitate to use the word accurate to describe any speaker, so with the Ohms I'll use the term natural. Not in some kind of euphonic sense, but a smooth and detailed kind of way.

I've had psb-s, and they are more neutral sounding than a lot of other speakers. I liked them a lot, but since owning Ohms, I can't go back to monopoles...

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
That last statement is very bold coming from you. I've attended many a classsical concerts ranging from full blown orchestras to chamber music.

When I listen to a concert, I listen very carefully to how the instruments sound and I keep finding that the PSB speakers I recommend are tonal very accurate with good resolution.
Tonal accuracy/resolution is only one part of reproduction. The timbre resolution and spatial sense of realism are two additional/critical factors.

I have monopolar monitors of accuracy/resolution exceeding most things at any price - they are tonally accurate for classical music. Then even restore some bit of the sense of space that was recorded. However, when compared to a system with wide, even off axis response, in a room with complimentary acoustics, it's no contest: the system approaching omnipolar will be far more realistic in the two categories I listed above. Note we are talking about stereo source material here and stereo speaker systems.

-Chris

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Tonal accuracy/resolution is only one part of reproduction. The timbre resolution and spatial sense of realism are two additional/critical factors.

I have monopolar monitors of accuracy/resolution exceeding most things at any price - they are tonally accurate for classical music. Then even restore some bit of the sense of space that was recorded. However, when compared to a system with wide, even off axis response, in a room with complimentary acoustics, it's no contest: the system approaching omnipolar will be far more realistic in the two categories I listed above. Note we are talking about stereo source material here and stereo speaker systems.

-Chris
I can understand that.

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
http://www.behringer.com/B2030P/index.cfm?lang=eng

A possibly great, possibly awful pretty genereic designed small-footprint loudspeaker (it lists its low as 75Hz, but doesn't mention what the db cutoff was for determining that). Do you have a frequency response chart.
Full range, averaged, response chart: http://www.linaeum.com/productinfo/other/behringer_2030P/fr_fullrange_averaged_1M.gif

Off axis response set: http://www.linaeum.com/productinfo/other/behringer_2030P/fr_waterfall_detail_offaxis_1M.gif

I'm gonna translate "omnipolar" as "omnidirectional", and call it quite impossible. Unless you have a spherical speaker whose emitter is on the outside and for which all of the non-emitive parts are on the inside (including the speaker wire) you will always have a framework as a baffle in some directions.
I am referring to a speaker very similar response patterns at on and off axis, all the way around the speaker, encompassing 360 degrees, or most of this range so far as critical room loading is concerned.

Further: the speaker you pointed out is a pretty conventional shape/design. It is a rectangle with 5 sides of wood, and some cones in front. Certainly not capable of emitting in all directions in similar manners. Not that I think omni-directional is good.
The Morrison speaker used top firing mid-range and tweeter. The drivers fire into wave diffusors(half spheres). The frequency response at any horizontal angle (from 0 to 360 degrees) around the speaker will be very similar at any point as a result.

Ahh yes, the holy grail of "realistic"... bouncing it around your room.
I suppose that's why you can't get accurate reproduction from headphones... no bouncing.

Oh wait: you get excellent reproduction from good headphones.
You can get clear, non-realistic presentation with little spatial effect and poor timbrel resolution from headphones of traditional type. If you use a headphone with extreme transducer positioning ability(AKG K1000 as an example), you can almost replicate the sound field of a near-field speaker system(still far from ideal). If you add complex DSP processing coupled with personalized/customized HRTF sets for an individual's ear structure, you can get realistic space effect from a headphone(you still have other problems to deal with like lack of physical body vibration at lower mid and bass frequencies); though I don't know of any consumer available units that have this capability within ideal limits yet. But such systems have been used in credible perceptual research to determine loudspeaker and room interface issues before, actually.

Also, don't make the mistake of thinking I don't know what a good headphone is; I have used many of the upper end headphones on the market, as well as having experience with measurement/analysis of headphones.

People hear like they see: volume and time. The whole stereo thing boils down to how loud a sound is in one ear vs the other and when it is heard. A recording studio sounds different than a concert hall because of the ecchos.

So obviously we need to bounce it around my listening room? Obviously, if you want to sound like you are listening to it in your listening room. The ecchos are already in the original recording, as is the positioning. Bouncing the sound around the room won't make that concert hall recording sound like it's in a concert hall: it will make it sound like a concert hall in a listening room.
First, no one is talking about random 'bouncing around the room' effect. The desirable outcome is controlled reflection points and room reverberation; in order to target ideal balance for sound quality in respect to a speaker with identical on and off axis response patterns.

Actually, according to credible perceptual texts, when the delay/reverb exceeds the room's inherant reverb(which is always very short - and a performance hall will have much longer delay times), the longest delay is the one that is primary in perception; the brain tends to remove the shorter delay from the primary auditory perception process - so long as that short delay falls within a specific time window(generally between 5-10msec). In such capacity, if the 1st reflected signal fits in this window, and is very similar to the on axis response, it acts as an effective phantom channel that enhances the audibility of timbre and increases perceived sound quality. The audibility of timbre was originally discovered in relation to the room acoustic properties an off axis response in: "The Modification of Timbre by Resonances: Perception and Measurement", Floyd Toole, Sean Olive, JAES, Vol. 36, No. 3, 1988, March, pages 122-141

This is double-blinded studes in multiple subjects, in order to determine the audiblity of resonances under different conditions. In the closing summary, here is an excerpt from page 139:

"Viewed in total, the indications are that reflections and reverberation improve the ability to hear small timbral features in impulsive and transient sounds due to nondelayed medium and low Q resonances. In music production this might help explain why listeners clearly prefer loudspeakers with the smoothest and flattest frequency responses, those with the fewest resonances. The fact that loudspeakers with similarly good performance both on and off axis are preferred to those exhibiting irregular response away from the principal axis is especially important. These off-axis sounds account for much of the reflected sound field in the listening room. By providing the listener with a temporal sequence of near replicas of the direct sound, they appear to lead to a further perceptual enhancement of timbrel subtleties, whether they are in the program material(good) or added by the loudspeaker(bad)."

This is simply one highly credible text dealing with the effect on human auditory perception of reflections. There are many - but I have no desire to spend lots of time covering these basic texts with you. You can read an excellent summary on many of the critical points in this article: Loudspeakers and Rooms for Sound Reproduction—A Scientific Review
Floyd E. Toole
JAES, June, 2006, Vol. 54, No. 6, pages 451-476

Assuming a good source, accurate reproduction is about *eliminating* things that add to the music. Except for the inability to move enough air for you to feel sound pressure: headphones actually represent the bset in depth of field and accuracy... unfortunately they have a very small sweet-spot.
Your statement ignores the real issues dealing with recording of information and de-coding of these recordings.

And as a hobbiest, you disagree with many of the professionals who build speakers differently from how you think they should be built.
Many of the so-called professionals appear to be ignorant of the very perceptual research that can aid them in designing superior speaker systems. Is their ignorance an excuse to build/design inferior systems?

-Chris

Last edited:
3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Hey 3db - This is one of the big reasons why I think the Ohms are so incredible - the tweeter is really a super-tweeter, and doesn't come into play until around 8k (the xover is just a very simple lo pass filter).

The original Ohms had full range drivers, but over time, a tweeter and ports were introduced to make them easier to drive. So, today's models benefit from a design that lends wide dispersion and a crossover-less mid-range, which just works so well with acoustic music. I always hesitate to use the word accurate to describe any speaker, so with the Ohms I'll use the term natural. Not in some kind of euphonic sense, but a smooth and detailed kind of way.

I've had psb-s, and they are more neutral sounding than a lot of other speakers. I liked them a lot, but since owning Ohms, I can't go back to monopoles...
:) everyone has their own preferences. I've curious about the Ohms since I was pimply faced teen many years back. Although I didn't understan electronics back then, I felt having single driver arranged like Ohm does had many advantages. I wish there dealers where I lived just to get a taste...maybe its best that there's not. :eek:

JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Samurai
Thank you very much for providing that. Though sadly a 78db scale lacks good resolution for my eyes to be precise, it does seem that they used 6db as a cut-off to get the speaker to rate "75Hz".

I am referring to a speaker very similar response patterns at on and off axis, all the way around the speaker, encompassing 360 degrees, or most of this range so far as critical room loading is concerned.
OK. The speakers you mentioned don't seem to fit that bill at all. Is it just my reading? Did you move between two different recommendations ("either this speaker or, as another option, 'omnipolar'")?

The Morrison speaker used top firing mid-range and tweeter. The drivers fire into wave diffusors(half spheres). The frequency response at any horizontal angle (from 0 to 360 degrees) around the speaker will be very similar at any point as a result.
It was actually his website that got me into my ranty mode on pro-omni in the first place. My field is computers. I've spent a lot of time in how artificial envyronments are created... and sound and light have a great deal in common here in createing 3D. I think the biggest "BS" reaction I gave was over the requirement that one must use two mics to get stereo, and that an envyronment can never be recreated from (my words), "waveforms and proccessing".

My more on-topic position I stated in my initial response, and I suspect will be elaborating on below.

You can get clear, non-realistic presentation with little spatial effect and poor timbrel resolution from headphones of traditional type. If you use a headphone with extreme transducer positioning ability(AKG K1000 as an example), you can almost replicate the sound field of a near-field speaker system(still far from ideal). If you add complex DSP processing coupled with personalized/customized HRTF sets for an individual's ear structure, you can get realistic space effect from a headphone(you still have other problems to deal with like lack of physical body vibration at lower mid and bass frequencies); though I don't know of any consumer available units that have this capability within ideal limits yet. But such systems have been used in credible perceptual research to determine loudspeaker and room interface issues before, actually.
I was with you at the beginning of that and then you lost me. I agree that the drivers in headphones are inferior... but it's not the ability to imitate the "power" of the wave that I'm discussing.

My comment on your comment (and indeed, on the omni-directional-speaker in general) had been that, one need not use walls to create ecchos in order to get a sound as originally created. In point of fact, room acustics will always *modify* the original sound. Perhaps in pleasent ways. Perhaps in ways that offset modifications from the speaker. But always modified.

Then you spoke of ear-shape. Yes, ears channel sounds slightly differently, so may introduce very short timing changes relative to direction; but I doubt that such timing changes (representing distances of around an inch) create a signifigant difference in positioning.

I suppose the other possible conclusion on why ear-shape would effect a difference between a sound acutally coming from behind you and one coming from the side but being faked to be behind you is that different ears baffle different directions differently (we don't all hear the same, but our brains have been trained to our specific ear).

Again, from an academic perspective this may be valid. However, to call this a disadvantage over any speaker system (other than one which physically surrounds you with speakers from a source with as many mics (real or vitrual), would not appear valid. Since omni-directional speakers don't throw specific sounds at specific walls, they suffer the same problem as our headphones above but to a bigger degree.

Could you adjust a room for your own ears by adjusting the accustics? Sure. But you could adjust the headphones by changing the delay, volume, and EQ for sounds coming from different directions as well.. and in any a case I suspect the differences are well below a threshold of notice relevent to this discussion.

Also, don't make the mistake of thinking I don't know what a good headphone is; I have used many of the upper end headphones on the market, as well as having experience with measurement/analysis of headphones.
Between your number of posts and stated hobby, I have no doubt that you have a great bredth of exposure to all sorts of AV equipment... one which likely far exceeds my own. Please don't interprete my post as personal... not even the last part of the previous post which was really an attack on an appeal to authority logical fallacy.

First, no one is talking about random 'bouncing around the room' effect. The desirable outcome is controlled reflection points and room reverberation; in order to target ideal balance for sound quality in respect to a speaker with identical on and off axis response patterns.
I never said random.

Let's assume I've just put a pair of mics in a cathedral and recorded a piece. All of the reverberations, delays, ecchos, etc are recorded on my master. If I point two uni-point, uni-directional speakers capable of a perfect reproduction of the sound hitting the mics (which we presume perfectly recorded) in a room with 100% sound absorption in all directions and no background sounds, you should not be able to tell it from live (earshape already discussed).

Any variance at all from that is a variance from live.

Some times that change is desireable. Our rooms aren't 100% absorbant, and our speakers are not perfect, and our heads not locked ridgidly in the "sweet spot". I love, for example, properly positioned planar speakers for teir tendancy to put pretty equal volume levels throughout a space.

Actually, according to credible perceptual texts, when the delay/reverb exceeds the room's inherant reverb(which is always very short - and a performance hall will have much longer delay times), the longest delay is the one that is primary in perception; the brain tends to remove the shorter delay from the primary auditory perception process - so long as that short delay falls within a specific time window(generally between 5-10msec). In such capacity, if the 1st reflected signal fits in this window, and is very similar to the on axis response, it acts as an effective phantom channel that enhances the audibility of timbre and increases perceived sound quality. The audibility of timbre was originally discovered in relation to the room acoustic properties an off axis response in: "The Modification of Timbre by Resonances: Perception and Measurement", Floyd Toole, Sean Olive, JAES, Vol. 36, No. 3, 1988, March, pages 122-141
I'm looking for the part in there where it says "the sound hitting the ears is more similar to what sound would hit the ears in the actual setting in which the music was recorded".

See my previous comment for why wall-reflections might be preferred.

"Viewed in total, the indications are that reflections and reverberation improve the ability to hear small timbral features in impulsive and transient sounds due to nondelayed medium and low Q resonances. In music production this might help explain why listeners clearly prefer loudspeakers with the smoothest and flattest frequency responses, those with the fewest resonances. The fact that loudspeakers with similarly good performance both on and off axis are preferred to those exhibiting irregular response away from the principal axis is especially important. These off-axis sounds account for much of the reflected sound field in the listening room. By providing the listener with a temporal sequence of near replicas of the direct sound, they appear to lead to a further perceptual enhancement of timbrel subtleties, whether they are in the program material(good) or added by the loudspeaker(bad)."

This is simply one highly credible text dealing with the effect on human auditory perception of reflections. There are many - but I have no desire to spend lots of time covering these basic texts with you.
But did you *read* what you cited?

My read of that is "given that all speakers reflect sound: one which reflects a sound close to the original is preferred to one which reflcets distorted sound". I think that is obvious, and unless you live in a room with no reflections at all, I agree that off-axis response (how good it is, not that it's present) is always important.

Your statement ignores the real issues dealing with recording of information and de-coding of these recordings.
Get to the ears (and body) of the listener the same stimulatoins that would have gotten there in a real envyronment? What did I miss?

Many of the so-called professionals appear to be ignorant of the very perceptual research that can aid them in designing superior speaker systems. Is their ignorance an excuse to build/design inferior systems?
So then you agree with me that the appeal to authority ("I build these things") is fallacious?

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
Thank you very much for providing that. Though sadly a 78db scale lacks good resolution for my eyes to be precise, it does seem that they used 6db as a cut-off to get the speaker to rate "75Hz".
The speaker is roughly -3 to -4dB down at 75 Hz in that graph, given an averaged relation to the overall signal.

OK. The speakers you mentioned don't seem to fit that bill at all. Is it just my reading? Did you move between two different recommendations ("either this speaker or, as another option, 'omnipolar'")?
I rarely recommend omnipolar speakers, as they require specific room acoustics that most would not be willing to provide. In addition, I do not believe that most people listen to music of the type, and in the way, that would be most benefitted by such a set up. As such, I usually recommend monopolar speakers with good off axis performance for most people in most average situations.

It was actually his website that got me into my ranty mode on pro-omni in the first place. My field is computers. I've spent a lot of time in how artificial envyronments are created... and sound and light have a great deal in common here in createing 3D. I think the biggest "BS" reaction I gave was over the requirement that one must use two mics to get stereo, and that an envyronment can never be recreated from (my words), "waveforms and proccessing".
As I said earlier, I do not recommend, nor have I read, what is posted on the website. I refer only to the product itself.

My comment on your comment (and indeed, on the omni-directional-speaker in general) had been that, one need not use walls to create ecchos in order to get a sound as originally created. In point of fact, room acustics will always *modify* the original sound. Perhaps in pleasent ways. Perhaps in ways that offset modifications from the speaker. But always modified.
One can use no walls, and have realism in all ways. However, this requires technology chain that is not present for consumers. To do such, requires several channels, each one of a certain reproduction standard obviously, and placed at the appropriate angles, and with appropriate acoustic treatments to minimize the room interaction to the desired level(s). But then, special recording/production standards have to be adopted universally to actually allow realistic sound field reproduction to occur; these things do not appear to be on the front of occuring any time soon. Please refer to Tom Hollman's 10.1 surround system format for interesting reading on this subject.

Then you spoke of ear-shape. Yes, ears channel sounds slightly differently, so may introduce very short timing changes relative to direction; but I doubt that such timing changes (representing distances of around an inch) create a signifigant difference in positioning.

I suppose the other possible conclusion on why ear-shape would effect a difference between a sound acutally coming from behind you and one coming from the side but being faked to be behind you is that different ears baffle different directions differently (we don't all hear the same, but our brains have been trained to our specific ear).
Specific ear shape is critical - in terms of reproducing every facet of a spatial sound field on headphones. The shape of each ear of each person applies certain transforms on the signal. Becasue this is personalized to each individual, the only way to acheive a consistant/reliable field reproduction is to adjust the transform to each individual. The prototype systems using this technology, at first, required measurement of the person's ear in a special chamber. The current state of this technology is a calibration routine that the person goes through to adjust the curve to work with them ideally while wearing the headphones. Once the curve is set - it's ready to go. No measurements required in a special chamber now.

Again, from an academic perspective this may be valid. However, to call this a disadvantage over any speaker system (other than one which physically surrounds you with speakers from a source with as many mics (real or vitrual), would not appear valid. Since omni-directional speakers don't throw specific sounds at specific walls, they suffer the same problem as our headphones above but to a bigger degree.
Given the special/advanced system I outlined above, it can re-create an accurate soundfield. The short comings remain: lack of LF tactile effect on the body - a critical effect for perception. Another issue being comfort of headphone wearing: no matter what, not everyone will want/prefer to wear a physical device on their head.

Let's assume I've just put a pair of mics in a cathedral and recorded a piece. All of the reverberations, delays, ecchos, etc are recorded on my master. If I point two uni-point, uni-directional speakers capable of a perfect reproduction of the sound hitting the mics (which we presume perfectly recorded) in a room with 100% sound absorption in all directions and no background sounds, you should not be able to tell it from live (earshape already discussed).
It can't be reproduced so easily - not from 2 channels. The reproduction signal will lack the multi-arrival signals from the various room acoustic environment points that lend to the spatial reproduction component. The end result is a relatively flat, spatially, result.

Any variance at all from that is a variance from live.
Using the conditions I mentione earlier, and with omnipolar speakers, a far greater degree of the sound cues can be restored, lending to a far more realisitic reproduction, spatially. In additional consequence, fine timbre cues are enhanced during the process, as previoulsy described.

Some times that change is desireable. Our rooms aren't 100% absorbant, and our speakers are not perfect, and our heads not locked ridgidly in the "sweet spot". I love, for example, properly positioned planar speakers for teir tendancy to put pretty equal volume levels throughout a space.
A completely absorbent space is a disaster with conventinal recording techqniques and playback techniques.

I'm looking for the part in there where it says "the sound hitting the ears is more similar to what sound would hit the ears in the actual setting in which the music was recorded".
For purposes of reproducing standard stereo recording, the sound field is more similar to the original, that has multiple arriving signals from differing directions, in my suggested stereo playback situation. Compared to your example of sound coming from extremely isolated points only, which can only work as outlined in my previous examlple using multiple channels, special acoustics and special signal processing and/or recording techniques.

But did you *read* what you cited?

My read of that is "given that all speakers reflect sound: one which reflects a sound close to the original is preferred to one which reflcets distorted sound". I think that is obvious, and unless you live in a room with no reflections at all, I agree that off-axis response (how good it is, not that it's present) is always important.
It is clear in the research(all of which I can not post here - there is so much), that off axis reflections contribute to perceived sound quality to listeners, given the conditions that have been outlined in my previous post. Also, I am trying to condense/summarize - I have no interest in spending hours to reply in full detail of every issue here. Veteran posters for the most part, no doubt remember my constant references to perceptual texts - that I have earned some degree of credibility on this forum for providing accurate information according to the founding perceptual research from which I derive most of my posts(and my personal speaker designs, of course).

So then you agree with me that the appeal to authority ("I build these things") is fallacious?
Correct - and this is why I try to specify when relevant - that my suggestions are based upon the credible perceptual research in the field - not on erroneous opinions of a single person based on personal experience alone.

-Chris

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis