which speaker is good on classical music?

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mmckinney

Audiophyte
Chris/WmAx,
I have read many of your threads but don't have enought posts to PM you. I have read a few posts with you talking about DIY subwoofers that will outclass the SVS models. I am looking to spend about $1000. I am gonna start a new post but I would like your advice/ideas.
Thanks.... did not mean to hijack the thread.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Chris/WmAx,
I have read many of your threads but don't have enought posts to PM you. I have read a few posts with you talking about DIY subwoofers that will outclass the SVS models. I am looking to spend about $1000. I am gonna start a new post but I would like your advice/ideas.
Thanks.... did not mean to hijack the thread.
There are numerous threads about excellent DIY subs on these forums, please search for them.

You will find a bunch of useful alignments on my web site for a lot of recently discussed projects. Certainly properly built the Infinity Kappa perfect 12 VQ mid insert will set a standard a cut above the the commercial offerings. There are several threads showing good plans and construction pictures on these forums.

krabapple

krabapple

Banned
I think there is a range of what people are looking for and that should be relevant to the discussion, unless we are just arguing about who is smarter or right.

I don't understand why it is that people are so insistant that their particular choice of speaker or that their particular choice of technology is 'the best' and that all others should be disregarded. There is more than one way to skin a cat.
There are an infinity of straw men to argue against, too, apparently. :rolleyes:

First you tell WmAx to 'relax' when his replies aren't 'tense' in the first place (indeed, I'm admiring his restraint with Jerry)...then you imply that he (and others) are being too insistent that their choice is 'best'. Which isn't what he's doing. Read what he's actually writing, not the strawman version.

JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Samurai
There are an infinity of straw men to argue against, too, apparently. :rolleyes:

First you tell WmAx to 'relax' when his replies aren't 'tense' in the first place (indeed, I'm admiring his restraint with Jerry)...then you imply that he (and others) are being too insistent that their choice is 'best'. Which isn't what he's doing. Read what he's actually writing, not the strawman version.
Seems trollish... like someone who hadn't been participating resurrecting a thread dead for two weeks without adding to the topic at hand.

Still. Good touch mentioning people by name: More likely to get nibbles that way.

krabapple

krabapple

Banned
Seems defensive...like someone who hasn't got an actual rebuttal to the content, so instead he impugns the character of the poster. :rolleyes:

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Just curious to know if the OP has got his question asnwered since this thread has been hijacked liek 40 times over? :(

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
Just curious to know if the OP has got his question asnwered since this thread has been hijacked liek 40 times over? :(
well since he hasnt returned since 8-6, maybe he got some speakers and is doing what we are not, enjoying the music:D

wire

wire

Senior Audioholic
I'd be looking for bookshelves with good bass extension (are you planning on adding a sub?)

I'd also look at Polk LSi9's. The Polks need some power...not sure what you'll be driving them with.
You need a pretty big Amp ( 250 x 2 ) , a mass produced reciever wont do it for them speaks . Maybe a Sunfire receiver :p . To make them really sing .

krabapple

krabapple

Banned
well since he hasnt returned since 8-6, maybe he got some speakers and is doing what we are not, enjoying the music:D
Four people found your post 'useful'. Hmm.

I occasionally browse the internet while enjoying music at the same time. Is this a shockingly rare talent? I had no idea.

IMO to post the folksy 'wisdom' that 'you should be listening to music instead of writing about gear', derails a thread asking for information about loudspeakers, far more than posts debating loudspeaker design...which admittedly seem, to my warped perspective, to be *right on target*.

Regardless of what model he bought, I would hope the OP gleaned some truly *in depth* information about loudspeakers and rooms from this thread, which happily contained more than the usual "you should try [my favorite speaker], they sound awesome" answers.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Four people found your post 'useful'. Hmm.

I occasionally browse the internet while enjoying music at the same time. Is this a shockingly rare talent? I had no idea.

IMO to post the folksy 'wisdom' that 'you should be listening to music instead of writing about gear', derails a thread asking for information about loudspeakers, far more than posts debating loudspeaker design...which admittedly seem, to my warped perspective, to be *right on target*.

Regardless of what model he bought, I would hope the OP gleaned some truly *in depth* information about loudspeakers and rooms from this thread, which happily contained more than the usual "you should try [my favorite speaker], they sound awesome" answers.
This thread went way beyond "in depth" about loudspeakers and IMO beyond what the OP was looking for. It became more a discussion of personal speaker philosphy than actually helping the OP. No hints were presented in how to audition a loudspeaker or other helpful hints. As far as your shocking talent goes, why are you making this a personal thing?

I think Bandphan was right on the money. Too many trees and you miss the forest point of view.

Status
Not open for further replies.
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis