where's the universal remote love?

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
Anyone else, besides DenPureSound and myself, using Android phones/tablets to control their AVRs, BD players, and HTPCs?:D
I have but I prefer a Harmony. I have the Onkyo app, the Unified Remote HTPC app, and the PowerDVD app.

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
Currently I use an MX-980. I used to have an MX-900 and before that I had a Harmony. I would never go back to a Harmony and at this point the extra programming capabilities of the 980 over the 900 are such that I wouldn't go down from the 980. I am an installer and I have worked with just about every URC remote and occasionally have to work with Harmony remotes and I very much dislike working on Harmony remotes. They are wizard based and changing one simple action requires going through the entire wizard and dozens of mouse clicks. That may not be such a bad thing for the individual that sets it up and forgets it but for someone that does it every day that is a nightmare.

The MX-980 is nicely designed, reliable, and extremely flexible. Mine even plays the sound of the portal turrets "Activated" and "Shutting down". :D

H

hizzaah

Full Audioholic
There's plenty of Universal remote love; do a search! They don't inflame the passions too much, so they don't take up a lot of forum space, but there's plenty there if you look for it.

I have a mid-range Harmony (the model # is escaping me right now - 700, I think). Yes, initially the price seems high, but I'd just bite the bullet. It's something you use EVERY TIME you use your system, so it quickly seems worth it once you have it.
I searched universal remotes, but only went back a few pages.. suppose I should've just searched remote.

Good point about the price. Kind of like the screen for a laptop or desktop. Something you might initially want to cut back on to get better specs, but in reality that's the gateway to the machine, you use it every time to want to use the pc..

Look for the Accoustic Research remotes. Cheap as compared to the logitechs and just as good.
Set up an AR ARRX15G for a friends dad last year. Wasn't too bad, but their set up was pretty slow. I like the remote, but it was laggy and froze up on occasion. Could've been a lemon though

I have a Harmony 700. It cost too much and don't even use it much.
I am not impressed with it.
that one come with the charging station? Want to let it go? :D

My two Xoom tablets & my EVO 4G phone are my universal remotes.

They can also remotely turn on and fully control any of my PCs, server, and home thermostat from anywhere in the world with internet access.
I'd have a set up similar to yours but i'm in a dorm room and while I have covertly set up wifi in my room, my receiver isn't networked..

URC R50. $50 on Amazon and controls everything I need it to with no fuss. Simple to program, and have had no issues with it in a year of use.
I'll give this a better look. Not too sure how ergonomic that button layout is, but it looks interesting and appears to not need a pc to be set up. Good price too

Currently I use an MX-980. I used to have an MX-900 and before that I had a Harmony. I would never go back to a Harmony and at this point the extra programming capabilities of the 980 over the 900 are such that I wouldn't go down from the 980. I am an installer and I have worked with just about every URC remote and occasionally have to work with Harmony remotes and I very much dislike working on Harmony remotes. They are wizard based and changing one simple action requires going through the entire wizard and dozens of mouse clicks. That may not be such a bad thing for the individual that sets it up and forgets it but for someone that does it every day that is a nightmare.

The MX-980 is nicely designed, reliable, and extremely flexible. Mine even plays the sound of the portal turrets "Activated" and "Shutting down". :D
I'll have to take your word on how nice the 980 is lol. At $400, it costs more then I paid for my 7.1, so it won't be finding a home in my college budget set up.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
I'm interested in controlling my Denon 4311, TV, OPPO with my iPad, are there decent apps for that that actually work ?

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I got a Harmony 1100. Works pretty well, but I don't use it exclusively because I keep it piled up with my other remotes, and sometimes its easier to grab the correct remote instead of cycling through the Harmony menus. I could use it by itself if I made myself though. It was easy to program, has a cool charging station (no replacing batteries) and turns on the whole system, or off at the touch of a button. I've noticed wifey likes using it more than me. I seem to find on the couch laying next to the Ipad alot.
You can add buttons to the 1100, too. If something isn't on the screen, you can place them to the sides on all pages, or selected pages. I use these and have done things Harmony told me wouldn't work.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I'm interested in controlling my Denon 4311, TV, OPPO with my iPad, are there decent apps for that that actually work ?
I know there is an Android app for Denon AVR. DenPureSound & I are both using that app.

You can go to the Apple market and search for remotes of various brands like Denon, Panasonic, LG, Sony, Vizio, Samsung.

With my Android, I can now control my Denon AVR/AVP, Panasonic BD (player, streaming Netflix, and everything), HTPCs, & home thermostat.:D

The PCs & thermostat can be controlled away from home.

Next up for internet wifi control will be lightnings and alarm system. :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I have but I prefer a Harmony. I have the Onkyo app, the Unified Remote HTPC app, and the PowerDVD app.
I love the Unified Remote. Also love the LogMeIn app for controlling PC away from home.

Also the Radio Thermostat app for controlling home thermostat.:D

A

alexo

Enthusiast
I have an aging Harmony 880. I like the "activities" approach and their vast equipment DB but I am pretty annoyed with the artificial limitations they put on the software (sequences limited to 5 steps is one example).

Can anyone suggest alternatives that:
- Have hard buttons and a good layout
- Can do "activities" (like the Harmony) and remember the states of devices that do not have discrete controls
- Are programmable by the end user
- Cost reasonable amounts

Thanks!

GoFastr

GoFastr

Full Audioholic
I got a Harmony 1100. Works pretty well, but I don't use it exclusively because I keep it piled up with my other remotes, and sometimes its easier to grab the correct remote instead of cycling through the Harmony menus. I could use it by itself if I made myself though. It was easy to program, has a cool charging station (no replacing batteries) and turns on the whole system, or off at the touch of a button. I've noticed wifey likes using it more than me. I seem to find on the couch laying next to the Ipad alot.
+1

I like my 1100 a lot, my wife likes it even better (especially when she remembers to actually point it at the equipment!)

I need to get the RF kit for mine then it will be totally foolproof.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
I have an aging Harmony 880. I like the "activities" approach and their vast equipment DB but I am pretty annoyed with the artificial limitations they put on the software (sequences limited to 5 steps is one example).

Can anyone suggest alternatives that:
- Have hard buttons and a good layout
- Can do "activities" (like the Harmony) and remember the states of devices that do not have discrete controls
- Are programmable by the end user
- Cost reasonable amounts

Thanks!
URC-MX350.

'Activities' are just macros. There are no inexpensive IR remotes that can track device states (and the Harmony doesn't either - if one of the steps of a macro isn't seen by a device, its 'state' will be wrong and you go through the help system to get the state correct, which you can do all by yourself anyway).

A

alexo

Enthusiast
URC-MX350.

'Activities' are just macros. There are no inexpensive IR remotes that can track device states (and the Harmony doesn't either - if one of the steps of a macro isn't seen by a device, its 'state' will be wrong and you go through the help system to get the state correct, which you can do all by yourself anyway).
I beg to differ. Several of my devices don't have discrete on/off commands and the TV doesn't even have discrete commands for the input selector (it just cycles through the inputs). The remote does remember those states just fine when I switch between activities.

[ Aside: Obviously, if those states change not via the remote, it will "mis-remember" them, but that's beside the point. ]

Now, I don't know what is your definition of "just macros" but on the Harmony, activities are a simplified combination of: (sequences of commands) + (state memory with conditional execution) + (button remapping).

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
To accurately track device state it should be done by using a video or voltage sensor. What harmony does is not device state but more like using a variable that is set to true when an activity is started. Then as you switch activities the remote cycles through a set of variables and does not send power commands to ones that have been set to true.

I use a MSC-400 which is connected to all of my equipment and I use video sensors to track states of my satellite boxes so if they are used in multiple zones they are not accidentally powered off.

My new favorite inexpensive remote is the MX-780 from universal remote control. The retail is $299 but it can be had for around $250 from most dealers. The only trick is to find a dealer that will give you the software with your purchase. URC allows dealers to distribute the software but will not give it directly to the end user.

The software is not wizard based so don't expect the spoon feeding that you get from a harmony remote. The advantages to this software is you have control over building complex macros and can map any button to any piece of gear you want. It also supports variables so you can use those as a pseudo way to track the state of your TOAD devices.

The MX-780 is both IR and RF so you can add one of their RF base stations to control the gear out of site.

M

mloew1

Audioholic Intern
harmony one, here also. There might be better units out there but this remote does every thing I have asked it to do. I also do not have to have someone come to my house and program it for me. Not sure if the crestron requires that?

A

alexo

Enthusiast
Hi, adk highlander.

To accurately track device state it should be done by using a video or voltage sensor. What harmony does is not device state but more like using a variable that is set to true when an activity is started. Then as you switch activities the remote cycles through a set of variables and does not send power commands to ones that have been set to true.
Yes, of course. What I meant was the state of the devices as the remote remembers them -- meaning, internal variables. Using sensors is, in my opinion, way into the territory of diminishing returns (especially since I have no idea how such sensors can detect other state such as active input).

My new favorite inexpensive remote is the MX-780 from universal remote control. The retail is $299 but it can be had for around $250 from most dealers. The only trick is to find a dealer that will give you the software with your purchase. URC allows dealers to distribute the software but will not give it directly to the end user.
It looks very similar to the "consumer line" R40. Can you tell me what are the differences between them?

The software is not wizard based so don't expect the spoon feeding that you get from a harmony remote.
I've been writing software for a living for quite a while. I think I'll manage :)

96cobra10101

96cobra10101

Senior Audioholic
+1

I like my 1100 a lot, my wife likes it even better (especially when she remembers to actually point it at the equipment!)

I need to get the RF kit for mine then it will be totally foolproof.
RF kit????

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
Yes, of course. What I meant was the state of the devices as the remote remembers them -- meaning, internal variables. Using sensors is, in my opinion, way into the territory of diminishing returns (especially since I have no idea how such sensors can detect other state such as active input).
Depending on the complexity of the system this may be true. Sensors are not used to detect inputs as there are discrete codes for inputs. As I said I use them just to check power state and then issue commands once I know the state. All of my gear has discrete power commands but I still find it very useful and cleaner from a programming standpoint to use them.

If you are only controlling one room I do agree this is a bit overkill but I am controlling 5 zones so it makes a bit more sense.

It looks very similar to the "consumer line" R40. Can you tell me what are the differences between them?
The R40 does look very similar but the programming is completely different. I do not have any experience with the new consumer line. It does not use a PC at all for programming so it would have some limitations similar to the harmony as to how much control you will have over your macro's and may not be able to remember state variables.

The CCP (complete control program) software is what will really give you the programming control you will want. It will also allow you to program all of your remotes in one place as your system grows or if you add a base station.

I've been writing software for a living for quite a while. I think I'll manage :)
It is not difficult to use but will take some time to become proficient. Also, there are some help guides that are included to help you on your way. The biggest challenge will be finding a dealer that will share the software.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
My Harmony was only like 30 bucks and takes very little time to setup. It even has an xbox control system.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
Then you can probably infer that the Harmony's state tracking is nothing more than a bit mask - set the bit to 1 when it sends a power command to a device and set it to 0 the next time a power command is sent to that device. If someone walks in front of the remote when you execute an activity and the TV doesn't see the power toggle command, the remote will still think the TV power is On. I didn't mean to disparage the Harmony. It's nice but lacking compared to the URC remotes, IMO, and you asked for a recommendation.

The difference between the consumer level remotes (like RF30) and the complete control series (like the MX-350) are subtle features. For example, the MX-350 can be set to send IR, RF, or IR+RF individually to each device whereas the RF30 always sends both. The MX-350 has assignable emitters, the RF30 does not.

Note that my MX-350 is set up in a combination of activities and device mode. System On is an activity that turns on the TV, cable box, and receiver and selects the cable box input on the receiver. Now the remote is in 'cable' mode and controls the cable box, but (and you can't really do the same thing with the Harmony) I also have non-cable functions on both the hard buttons and LCD screen while in cable mode. The URC remotes are rather flexible in that you can put any function from any device on any button in any mode. So you can set it up the old way in 'device' mode or you can set it up purely in 'activity' mode or any combination of the two.

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
Hi MDS I agree with everything you have said except I don't believe the MX-350 is not part of the complete control series and does not work with CCP.

The remotes that work with CCP are:

MX-780
MX-880/i
MX-880Z
MX-900
KP-900
MX-980/i
MX-1200
KP-4000
MX-5000
MX-6000

Base Stations:

MRF-260
MRZ-260
MRF-350
MRX-1
MSC-400

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
Hi MDS I agree with everything you have said except I don't believe the MX-350 is not part of the complete control series and does not work with CCP.
Yeah, the MX-350 is not programmed via software, it is done on the remote itself. I thought it was marketed as 'complete control series' or 'total control series' or something like that (350, 450, 650 models) but I've had it for a few years now.

If CCP means the remotes that require the software to program it, then you're right it is not part of that series. It does work with the MRF-260 that is part of your list though, so who knows?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis