Full Audioholic
I've narrowed it down to the following:

cheaper side:
Acoustic Research Xsight 18 (~$55)

More expensive, but lightly used side:
MX-450 (~$85)

Splurging and spending more than I should side:
Harmony One (~$120)

what would you guys go with? the used mx-450 seems like a pretty good deal, but I think I'd really like having the backlit buttons on the One and Xsight. I've only got 6 devices to control ATM, but I'll probably pick up an Apple TV when the new ones come out.

MX-450 is user programmable btw.. no pro software like their higher end models

Last edited:
slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I've narrowed it down to the following:

cheaper side:
Acoustic Research Xsight 18 (~$55)

More expensive, but lightly used side:
MX-450 (~$85)

Splurging and spending more than I should side:
Harmony One (~$120)

what would you guys go with? the used mx-450 seems like a pretty good deal, but I think I'd really like having the backlit buttons on the One and Xsight. I've only got 6 devices to control ATM, but I'll probably pick up an Apple TV when the new ones come out.

MX-450 is user programmable btw.. no pro software like their higher end models
I have the Excite 15, identical except 18 has touchscreen. It is highly recommended. And for the price you will definitely get your moneys worth out of it.

H

hizzaah

Full Audioholic
Xsight 18 is on it's way :) I'll be glad to be able to put away my collection of remotes lol.

If I hadn't decided that I'm going to buy myself a new blue ray player soon, I might have gone with a Harmony 1. I had it in the cart, but then I started scoping out some of the Oppo players (in my dreams..) and decided to dial it back on the remote lol..

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I just want to say that the $398 Sony S 9.4" Android tablet is an awesome IR remote.

H

hizzaah

Full Audioholic
I've been hearing lots of good things about using the android tablets as remotes..

Update: got the xsight 18 in today, and after the initial excitement wore off, I decided to return it. While their UI for adding stuff has greatly improved since I set up a xsight 15 ~2 years ago, it's not as nice as I wanted. They also didn't have info for my BR, Cable, or receiver. I wouldn't have minded setting up 1 remote manually, but I don't want to do three. Mostly because it's a pain. They need to think of a more fluid way to learn functions.. Plus the center "ok" button only worked ~1/4 of the time.

Also, my gf gave me a $50 gift card for amazon for valentines day and said I had to use it for a remote.. That puts me into the harmony 1 or refurb 900 range.. Hopefully the harmony has the fluidness I'm looking for.

GoFastr

GoFastr

Full Audioholic
I've been hearing lots of good things about using the android tablets as remotes..

Update: got the xsight 18 in today, and after the initial excitement wore off, I decided to return it. While their UI for adding stuff has greatly improved since I set up a xsight 15 ~2 years ago, it's not as nice as I wanted. They also didn't have info for my BR, Cable, or receiver. I wouldn't have minded setting up 1 remote manually, but I don't want to do three. Mostly because it's a pain. They need to think of a more fluid way to learn functions.. Plus the center "ok" button only worked ~1/4 of the time.

Also, my gf gave me a $50 gift card for amazon for valentines day and said I had to use it for a remote.. That puts me into the harmony 1 or refurb 900 range.. Hopefully the harmony has the fluidness I'm looking for.
Check out the Harmony 1100. The screen is no comparison to a tablet but it's a solid remote that does anything your HT things will need.

H

hizzaah

Full Audioholic
gah.. I was trying to avoid looking at that one. It's nice, but it's out of my budget.. Although, I did just get an email from Logitech. I can get a refurb one for $160. or a refurb harmony one for $100.. I wanted to use my amazon gift card on it though :p the refurbs on amazon are over $200 though. I guess I could just go ahead and pay for one as I'm supposed to finally start working next week, and I'll get $55 back from the xsight so I'll look at it only costing $100 :p

I wish I could go play with one to see if it's something I really should get. Does best buy demo remotes?

edit: Wtf? I put a refurb 900 in my cart and the price jumped $200.. now it won't let me go back to the page I was at and the email link takes me to a different page.. We'll see if a strongly worded email to sales support can't get me my discount and maybe free upgraded shipping?

Last edited:
D

DS-21

Full Audioholic
harmony one, here also. There might be better units out there but this remote does every thing I have asked it to do. I also do not have to have someone come to my house and program it for me. Not sure if the crestron requires that?
Another Harmony One recommendation here. I've had one since the day Amazon started carrying it. The One replaced a Harmony...676 or something like that, the one with a plasti-chrome ring for the directional buttons and three colored faceplates. The One is vastly better. The button layout is so much more intuitive that despite using the other one for quite a while, after less than a day I was more comfortable with the One. The hardware feels nicer in the hand. And the charger/cradle gives one an instinctive place to put it, minimizing the risk of it ending up under couch cushions.

In the intervening years I've found no reason to replace it. It's easy to program from my Mac. Going from controlling a Denon receiver and including it in all activities to controlling an Anthem receiver and including it in all activities was a ten-minute process. Maybe.

Perhaps the biggest endorsement of the One is that, after using mine, both my mother and my sister's in-laws ended up buying them.

As for Android tablet as remote...I wouldn't be inclined to go that way. First, I like hard buttons on a remote. (That also excludes the touchscreen Harmony, mind.) I don't want to have to look at it to use it. Others may have different preferences, of course.

Second...I suffered through an HTC Evo 4G until Sprint finally got a phone that married reliable hardware and competent software*, and am very glad to have that experience behind me. No reason to repeat.

*Apple iPhone 4S, obviously. Previously they had a phone with (very) competent software in the Palm Pre, but the hardware was...not. As for durability, I'm not impressed with HTC or Samsung, either. Anyone want to see the result of an 8-pound cat stepping on my sister's Evo?

Last edited:
H

hizzaah

Full Audioholic
in the end it was cheaper to pick up a Harmony One through amazon using my gift card then to buy a refurb from Logitech.. Ordered, so hopefully it should be here Tuesday or Wednesday!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I guess it depends on your budget. If you were going to spend $300-400 on a UR anyway, I see no point on getting just a stand alone UR like Harmony. Might as well get something like the Sony S so you can do everything else too in addition to the UR.

You can get WiFi remotes like Demon/Marantz/Integration/Onkyo/Pioneer AVR remotes and many more.

You can surf web, chat, email, play games, & do everything a tablet can do.

Also remotely control all your PCs, thermostat, security IP cameras, alarm system, & lighting AWAY from home.

The Sony S is not perfect as a tablet, but hopefully firmwares will fix few quirks. It is IMO as good as any UR.

M

MidnightSensi2

Audioholic Chief
I have RTI right now, saw they have a control panel app for the iPad and iPhone right now, once I get a second I want to try that out.

RTiPanel App

Crestron is over my budget, and I'm seeing less and less of it. Lots of the new construction down here seems to be Control4.

For security, thermostats, camera viewing, remote control of locks, etc. check out Alarm.com

Works great.

H

hizzaah

Full Audioholic
The harmony one I ordered arrived today :D a million times better than the xsight IMO.. Feels sturdier, display is nicer, had all of my devices in the setup.. I ordered it used off amazon, but it's in brand new condition. I'm very pleased :) I wish it were easier to re-order the devices on the remote, but I can live it I suppose. Set up is a lot faster then with the xsight too..

Last edited:
Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
The harmony one I ordered arrived today :D a million times better than the xsight IMO.. Feels sturdier, display is nicer, had all of my devices in the setup.. I ordered it used off amazon, but it's in brand new condition. I'm very pleased :)
Congrats! That model has tempted me for quite some time, but ever since I saw it on sale for $120 new a couple (maybe three) years ago at Christmas, I won't let myself pay more for it. :eek: :)

H

hizzaah

Full Audioholic
Congrats! That model has tempted me for quite some time, but ever since I saw it on sale for $120 new a couple (maybe three) years ago at Christmas, I won't let myself pay more for it. :eek: :)
Yeah, it was a bit overwhelming to want to add a higher end harmony to my college budget system, but I got a gift card and I figure it would be able to grow with my system for a while. I almost stepped up to a 900 or 1100 because Logitech gave their VIP members a nice discount off last week, but I couldnt use my gift card through Logitech..

My gf was messing with it and shut my Xbox off while I was in the middle of a match :p

H

hizzaah

Full Audioholic
And you think it was by mistake? ;) :D
Now that she figured out that the remote has a touchscreen I'm in trouble lol. Guess I'm gonna have to keep it by me so she doesn't mess with me.. I offer to let her play but she refuses to play on live cuz she hates getting killed every 5 seconds. It's almost dinner time though. That should keep her busy for a while :p

H

hizzaah

Full Audioholic
Only thing I've got to work out is making the volume control work on every device. It's annoying to have switch on my BR, then switch back to the receiver to change the volume.. BR is always a lot louder than my cable and my Xbox is a bit louder then my BR.. Vicious cycle..

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Only thing I've got to work out is making the volume control work on every device. It's annoying to have switch on my BR, then switch back to the receiver to change the volume.. BR is always a lot louder than my cable and my Xbox is a bit louder then my BR.. Vicious cycle..
You should be able to set up a macro that would adjust the volume on the receiver when you change sources.

H

hizzaah

Full Audioholic
Yup, got it set up. I want to re-work them though so they use the power on/off command instead of power toggle. The remote sometimes exits the current activity if I put if back on the charger, so if I hit "watch tv" it toggles everything off.

Also if I switch over to the BR, watch a movie, switch back to tv, then try to power off the BR from the device list the BR also shuts the Onkyo and the TV off. That one's annoying. But I decided to just leave the BR on when I'm done and it automatically shuts off with everything else later.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis